R7800 devices on 5GHz network cannot connect to LAN devices

Mietek154
Guide

R7800 devices on 5GHz network cannot connect to LAN devices

Hi,

Recently I bought new NAS device hower my Laptop/Tablet/Phone cannot connect to NAS.

I ran full diagnostic and it seems that only 5GHz is affected.

If I change network on my laptop to 2,4GHz everythinkg work just fine.

On 5GHz network i can ping NAS IP but cannot connect using web interface 443 (or even 80), I'm also unable to connect share drives using SMB (from 2,4GHz it works fine).

It's really strange and very flustrating. Any ideas what is the reason of this behavior?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 22
Mietek154
Guide

Re: R7800 devices on 5GHz network cannot connect to LAN devices

Now even I'm not able to connect there using 2.4GHz. Please be advised that I checked NAS with different router and no issues were found.

This problem is only with NetGear. 

Capture.PNG

Message 2 of 22
Mietek154
Guide

It seems that that on 2,5GHz it worked only for few minutes after reboot. Now I can't even recreat this.

Clients on all LAN ports are not reachable! (only ping works)

NETGEAR, if you are aware of this issue why you refuse to help?!

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try this, change the routers default IP address pool to 192.168.1.100 to .200.

Then set a Static IP address ON the NAS to 192.168.1.34 or something out side of the default IP address pool mentioned above.

Do a IP address reservation ON the LAPTOP to ensure it gets an IP address everytime. This will be inside the default IP address pool.

Connect a LAN cable fromthe laptop to the router.

Turn OFF the WiFi radio on the laptop. Reboot everything including the NAS.

Test to see if you can ping the NAS and access it with the Laptop.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 4 of 22
Mietek154
Guide

I have followed you suggestion.

My Laptop has now 192.168.1.100 (from pool) however still connected to wifi as I don't have a ethernet card there.

NAS is 192.168.1.5 ouside of DHCP pool - IP reserved.

Everything restarted (not sure why but I done it).

NAS was reachable from 2,4GHz and 5GHz for around 5 minutes and then it stopped reporting, exactly same as before. Your suggestion didn't change anything. 

Message 5 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Mietek154 wrote:

It seems that that on 2,5GHz it worked only for few minutes after reboot. Now I can't even recreat this.

Clients on all LAN ports are not reachable! (only ping works)

If you can ping the NAS then it is reachable.  Are all your tests using 192.168.1.5, or are some of them using the hostname?  What NAS model is it?

If there is a setting to disable ipv6 on the NAS, then try doing that.  If you don't need ipv6, then you might disable it in the router also.

Also, check the network classification on the laptop, and make sure it is private (or work or home on win7 or vista).  As far as SMB goes, make sure the NAS and the PCs are set to be in the same workgroup.

Message 6 of 22
Mietek154
Guide

To clarify things, this is not only issue with the NAS (QNAP TS-251). It happens with all devices connected to LAN. Lan devices are pingable however you cannot access them using HTTP/HTTPS/SMB etc... 

For around 5 minutes after router restart everything works just fine but after that time clients became unreachable (besides ping).

NAS was checked on different routers (2) and no errors were reported.

IPv6 is disabled.

All devices are in same network.

Message 7 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Mietek154 wrote:

To clarify things, this is not only issue with the NAS (QNAP TS-251). It happens with all devices connected to LAN.

Worth clarifying, and is what I understood from the posts.  No reason to blame the QNAP.  Also - I am guessing that you didn't try to make these connections before you deployed the NAS?  Is that correct?  If so, the problem might have been there all along, but didn't affect you.

There must be a clue here with the 5 minute window, but it's not helping me sort this out.

Can you put one of the old routers in AP mode, and connect it to the same network?  Then see if problem still happens when you are using WiFi.  My guess is that it won't, and if that's the case the LAN stack in the R7800 is ruled out.

You might also probe the MTU to the NAS using ping.  Though an issue there shouldn't kick in 5 minutes after startup.

Did you try disabling security software on the laptop?  

Message 8 of 22
VE6CGX
Master

Access control, who can acess who and with what kind of right, r, w, r/w,etc

administaror or user?

If running windows create a home group and let every one join? They don't

access each other automatically, it'll create total chaos, what do you think?

Message 9 of 22
Mietek154
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

Worth clarifying, and is what I understood from the posts.  No reason to blame the QNAP.  Also - I am guessing that you didn't try to make these connections before you deployed the NAS?  Is that correct?  If so, the problem might have been there all along, but didn't affect you.

There must be a clue here with the 5 minute window, but it's not helping me sort this out.

Can you put one of the old routers in AP mode, and connect it to the same network?  Then see if problem still happens when you are using WiFi.  My guess is that it won't, and if that's the case the LAN stack in the R7800 is ruled out.

You might also probe the MTU to the NAS using ping.  Though an issue there shouldn't kick in 5 minutes after startup.

Did you try disabling security software on the laptop?  

1. Before I didn't use LAN ports. NAS connected as first, but later I checked also different devices with same result - services from these are not reachable if connected to LAN.

2. Access Point connected - same result, internet ok, connection to other devices not ok.

3. Firewall (even antivirus) was disabled during testing. 

@VE6CGX wrote:

Access control, who can acess who and with what kind of right, r, w, r/w,etc

administaror or user?

If running windows create a home group and let every one join? They don't

access each other automatically, it'll create total chaos, what do you think?

Access control disabled.

Windows is also not a problem, I'm checking NAS with iPhone/Android phone and tablet - services from NAS are not reachable.

Message 10 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Mietek154 wrote:

2. Access Point connected - same result, internet ok, connection to other devices not ok.

That is a very strange result.  The R7800 sees the connection through the AP as wired, it can't distinguish it from any other ethernet connection.

That points more to the laptop than the R7800.  But taking the R7800 out altogether worked, which points the other direction.

Is it possible that the AP is still in router mode?

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

If the AP was connected via LAN to LAN to the r7800 and the NAS or any device connected to the AP, the r7800 will report it as a LAN connection since the AP is connected via LAN cable tot he r7800...If this is the configuration...

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 12 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@FURRYNUTZ wrote:

If the AP was connected via LAN to LAN to the r7800 and the NAS or any device connected to the AP, the r7800 will report it as a LAN connection since the AP is connected via LAN cable tot he r7800...If this is the configuration...

Exactly.  So the expected result is that the laptop connected wirelessly to the AP should have been able to access the NAS, since it can do that when it is directly connected to an R7800 LAN port.

But that's not what happened.

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What OS is being used on the PCs/laptops?

So 2.4Ghz wireless works to connect to the NAS however 5Ghz fails? Is there any 5Ghz AP isolation happening maybe? I saw this similar problem on a different Mfr router where 2.4ghz devices could not communicate with 5Ghz devices.

@Mietek154 wrote:

Hi,

Recently I bought new NAS device hower my Laptop/Tablet/Phone cannot connect to NAS.

I ran full diagnostic and it seems that only 5GHz is affected.

If I change network on my laptop to 2,4GHz everythinkg work just fine.

On 5GHz network i can ping NAS IP but cannot connect using web interface 443 (or even 80), I'm also unable to connect share drives using SMB (from 2,4GHz it works fine).

It's really strange and very flustrating. Any ideas what is the reason of this behavior?

Message 14 of 22
Mietek154
Guide

Tomorrow I will do more test with AP connected to LAN and give you full overwiev (maybe I made mistake during testing)

When I was creating this post i thought that 5GHz is only affected, however now i know that I tried this 2,4 GHz connection right after router was rebooted (I can recreat situation that right after reboot on both network 2,4 and 5GHz connection works perfectly fine). After some time ~5min devices connected to LAN are not reachable, no matter what I connect to LAN, nothing responds (only ping works).

Worth to mention that I'm using tagged VLANs (port 4 on different VLAN and 1,2,3 + both WIFI together on different).

OS used on laptop Windows 10, however i just checked also with different machine Win7, same situation.

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try not using any VLAN configurations temporarily while your troubleshooting. Let the LAN devices and wireless be all on the same system and go from there. Use default settings for now.

There is a known issue with Windows 10 and a update breaking NAS connections. However if your 7 PC is doing the same. May not be here in this case.

@Mietek154 wrote:

Tomorrow I will do more test with AP connected to LAN and give you full overwiev (maybe I made mistake during testing)

When I was creating this post i thought that 5GHz is only affected, however now i know that I tried this 2,4 GHz connection right after router was rebooted (I can recreat situation that right after reboot on both network 2,4 and 5GHz connection works perfectly fine). After some time ~5min devices connected to LAN are not reachable, no matter what I connect to LAN, nothing responds (only ping works).

Worth to mention that I'm using tagged VLANs (port 4 on different VLAN and 1,2,3 + both WIFI together on different).

OS used on laptop Windows 10, however i just checked also with different machine Win7, same situation.

Message 16 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@FURRYNUTZ wrote:

There is a known issue with Windows 10 and a update breaking NAS connections. However if your 7 PC is doing the same. May not be here in this case.

Windows is handling anonymous/guest SMB access differently.  But that new behavior is the same for ethernet as wifi.  And it would not affect https.

I agree turning off off vlans during troubleshooting makes sense.  VLAN tagging could be getting in the way.

Message 17 of 22
Mietek154
Guide

Hi,

Sorry that this took so long however time before christmas is not the best to find time for "extra" activities.

So my current setup looks like this:

Network.JPG

VLANs still exist:

Today to NIC 3 I connnected another laptop (this time with ethernet card) which can simulate suggested AP.

From laptop connected directly to NIC 3 I was able to ping and connect to NAS (connected to NIC1). However devices on wifi are still not able to connect to NAS.

It seems that only only wireless <-> wired connection is affected.

I'm not sure if I be able to perform test without VLANs before Christmass. So have a nice holidays guys and thanks for help. Maybe we can sort this out soon, hopefully very soon.

Message 18 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious why the VLANs for this configuration? 

Let us know the results of testing with VLANs disabled.

Message 19 of 22
Mietek154
Guide

@FURRYNUTZ wrote:

Just curious why the VLANs for this configuration? 

Let us know the results of testing with VLANs disabled.

VLANs are enabled because of IPTV / Internet.

If I remove tagging i have no internet or tv, however devices see each other. 

Message 20 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Mietek154 wrote:

It seems odd that you need to use VLAN tags for internet.  Do you have more information from your ISP on that?

Do you have to use 860 for internet, or will VLAN 1 work?  If VLAN 1 does work, then perhaps then try removing tags on the internet vlan, but leaving them on for the IPTV.

Message 21 of 22
Mietek154
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

@Mietek154 wrote:

It seems odd that you need to use VLAN tags for internet.  Do you have more information from your ISP on that?

Do you have to use 860 for internet, or will VLAN 1 work?  If VLAN 1 does work, then perhaps then try removing tags on the internet vlan, but leaving them on for the IPTV.

I need to use both Tags, this is confirmed by my ISP. Nighthawk does not allow to use empty value in VLAN identificator also it forces to create "Internet" VLAN automatically if IPTV VLAN is created.

I asked my collegue, network engineer, to take a look at this issue. He connected remotely and checked packages using whireshark after few tests he told me that netgear device is "somehow broken". It deforms packages from source to destination.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E