R7800 dropping ethernet connection

teedee29
Tutor

R7800 dropping ethernet connection

I bought this router on Saturday from Amazon and it was working fine until Monday when the ethernet connection dropped out. I have the router connected to my Virgin Superhub 3, which is in modem mode, and i have two Xbox ones conected by ethernet to the router. As i have seen elsewhere in this community, the wifi connections are fine. I am on the latest firmware and have tried the Volex custom firmware also, but the problem persists. I can't seem to find a solution among the posts i've read so far.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Re: R7800 dropping ethernet connection

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Do the LEDs offer any clues?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 12
pec967
Luminary

Probably an incompatability issue with the XBox, which has existed for a long time. Some people report that turning off "Instant On" fixes the problem, but it does not fix the problem for everyone.  There is a long thread about this problem on the forum. You will probably have to connect the XBox over Wi-Fi.

Message 3 of 12
teedee29
Tutor

Firmware version is 1.0.2.60. The LEDs are white, flashing periodically but no connection on ethernet. Will most probably return it and buy something else. Thanks for getting back to me.

Message 4 of 12
teedee29
Tutor

Yep i realise that now, the incompatibility issues. Wish i'd seen this before i bought it, just got to work out what's the best replacement now.

Message 5 of 12

@teedee29 wrote:

Wish i'd seen this before i bought it, just got to work out what's the best replacement now.

Routers are generally much of a muchness. You could have compatibility issues with anything else you get.

Your are not the only person who has used an Xbox with a router. As this forum shows, many people have hit the problem and have found out how to fix it.

Search - NETGEAR Communities Xbox lan

That's just one of many Xbox searches you could try.

Then there is the Xbox community. If there is one.

Good luck!

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 12
RMinNJ
Luminary

LOL..  I thought this was advertised as a "gaming router".     I did not know about the Xbox issue. My son plugs his Xbox One into a switch which goes to the R7800 and has not had any problems.

Perhaps try an older firmware..I have not been able to run  1.0.2.60.... otherwise. let us know which other router you pick.      The Ubuitqu stuff is starting to sound better and better.

Message 7 of 12
pec967
Luminary

If inserting a 1 Gbps Ethernet switch between the R7800 and the XBox's works, that is a cheap solution.

Message 8 of 12

@RMinNJ wrote:

LOL..  I thought this was advertised as a "gaming router".

Marketing hype. Try this for the latest and greatest gaming routers:

Nighthawk Pro Gaming | Power to Win. | NETGEAR

Overpriced and as ugly as buggery.

PS The XR500 is based on the R7800.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 12
teedee29
Tutor

Thanks, i don't fancy spending more money though, still looking for a solution other than returning it.

Message 10 of 12
erikdezwart
Aspirant

Got the same problem, just today, nothing has been changed. Ethernet simply does not work any  more. Did a hard reset on modem and the r7800 but.... no slution. Wifi is doing great. What is wrong?

Message 11 of 12

@erikdezwart wrote:

What is wrong?

Have you tried other things that might be implicated?

You rebooted the Ethernet devices?

You checked what their status was?

This has happened to me. Too often. Nothing to do with the R7800. I have a serious motherboard issue.

Just another user.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E