Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 firmware update 1.0.2.36 broke Network Drive - unable to make backups.

rbird2
Luminary

R7800 firmware update 1.0.2.36 broke Network Drive - unable to make backups.

Well I unfortunately upgraded to the "Netgear R7800-V1.0.2.36" firmware and found it broke Readyshare with my WD 1TB eSATA drive connected to my R7800. Using Macrium Reflect I was unable to make a backup of my HD, kept getting a disk out of space error. When I reverted back to version 1.0.2.32, Readyshare works correctly allowing me to make a HD backup with Macrium Reflect. Netgear has a bug in the 1.0.2.36 software that incorrectley reads the file sizes. I tried eSata and USB ports on R7800 and I get the same results.

The main reason I (and others) bought this particular router was for the eSATA port so we could have a working network drive. With firmware update 1.0.2.36 the Network Drive does not work. Please fix this bug ASAP.

Below are some screen captures to provide additional information on the problem.

The first Screen capture is of the backup directory file size (4 backups) on the external drive using USB port on a Windows 10 computer or with 1.0.2.32 firmware loaded in the R7800 (file sizes are correct). The second Screen capture is the backup directory file size (4 backups) on the external drive using the R7800 with the 1.0.2.36 firmware loaded. Note the incorrect file sizes being displayed, some are even negative.

Capture-Windows10.JPGCapture-R7800.JPG

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 46

Accepted Solutions
rbird2
Luminary

Re: R7800 firmware update 1.0.2.36 broke Network Drive - unable to make backups.

Netgear has finally released R7800 firmware version 1.0.2.38 that fixes the Network Drive bug introduced in the version 1.0.2.36 firmware:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7800/R7800-V1.0.2.38.zip

View solution in original post

Message 31 of 46

All Replies

Re: R7800 firmware update 1.0.2.36 broke Network Drive - unable to make backups.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

First note down the settings – screen grabs can help here.

@rbird2 wrote:

Well I unfortunately upgraded to the "Netgear R7800-V1.0.2.36" firmware and found it broke Readyshare with my WD 1TB eSATA drive connected to my R7800. 

Message 2 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

Yes, I already know this. The R7800 router has been reset by both the Netgear web interface and the back button. This problem is still there.

Based on other comments in this forum, It sounds like I am not the only one with this same problem. How do we get Netgear Engineering to acknowledge and fix this bug in the R7800 firmware update 1.0.2.36?

As mentioned before, the main reason I bought this expensive router was to run a network drive. With R7800 firmware update 1.0.2.36 the router is worthless. I know I can revert to R7800 firmware update 1.0.2.32 but it is my understanding that 1.0.2.36 fixes some very serious security flaws.

Message 3 of 46
avtella
Prodigy

Look at post 6 in that link,I mentioned the reason there:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-Readyshare-not-enough-space/m-p/138802...

I suggest you fall back to .32 if you need properly working Samba.

Message 4 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

I agree that it sounds like a problem with SMB in the latest update (1.0.2.36). If you look at posts #19 in the "R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.36" discussion on the SMB Forums:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-firmware-version-1-0-2-36.41329/

Voxel states:

"Reason of problem is obvious: using somewhere in function 32-bit integer (int) instead of 64-bit (int64). As a result value more than 2GB becomes negative. And function fails. Critical values for 32-bit are 2GB for signed variables and 4GB for unsigned variables. It could be even somewhere in C RTL.

I do not understand why Samba 3.6.25 was not used by Netgear but Samba4. Samba4 is too huge. It was discussed in other thread.

Voxel."

Again, we are back to the question: How do we get Netgear to fix what they broke. We all paid a lot of money for an expensive router that now has the network drive feature inoperative.

Message 5 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

Where is the new firmware to fix this major bug?

Many of us were forced to revert back to version 1.0.2.32 to keep network drive functionality. It is my understanding that there were major security vulnerabilities fixed in 1.0.2.36 so by being forced to use version 1.0.2.32 we are now at risk.

I have provided Netgear very detailed information on the problem. I would hope that Netgear has a staff of very competent programmers that could take this information and quickly provide us the updated software we need ASAP to keep us safe.

So far, we have heard nothing from Netgear on this problem. I for one am VERY disappointed with Netgear’s lack of response on this problem.

I purchased an expensive Netgear R7800 router especially for the Readyshare Network feature. If you are not going to fix this bug in a timely basis tell me so I can purchase another router that works correctly. I am NOT comfortable using a router that does not include all of the latest security vulnerability fixes.

Message 6 of 46
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@rbird2 Have you submitted a case with support already? Do you have a case number? 

Message 7 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

ElaneM,

No, I do not have a case number. You are the first person from Netgear that has responded to our posts on this problem.

I thought that was what this forum was for (reporting problems) since the only other options I saw on the Netgear website was complimentary technical support for NETGEAR products for 90 days from the original date of purchase (I am over 90 days) or the GearHead Premium Technical Support, starting at $49.95 (too much for my budget).

If there is another way, it is not clear or easy to find on the Netgear website.

Rodger

Message 8 of 46
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have already forwarded this to our support team to further investigate. 

Let's wait and see what are the details needed. 

Message 9 of 46

rbird2 wrote:

I thought that was what this forum was for (reporting problems)

Not really. At least, not if the idea is to get those reports into the hands of the technical team at Netgear.

This place is mostly user-to-user, with some input from a small band of overworked Netgear employees.  Most of the responses here are from fellow users who have time on their hands and don't mind offering a bit of unpaid, and mostly polite, advice.

It can be quicker to start here and you may even get better advice, if you read the reports here of contact with paid support.

Message 10 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

We as consumers did not create this problem, Netgear software did, we just want it fixed ASAP.

Expecting a customer to pay to report Netgear’s firmware bugs is not a reasonable way for Netgear (or any company) to treat it’s customers.

In this economic climate everyone is overworked. All companies are now expecting more from their employees than before. Companies like Netgear need to think and work smarter than their competition or they will quickly loose market share.

There needs to be a better way to directly report firmware bugs back to Netgear. Random monitoring of this forum by Netgear employees is not a very efficient use of their time and puts another layer between us and the people who write the software.

Also, since there is no direct status or feedback, customers are left wondering if/when the software bug will ever get fixed. A web based firmware bug tracking system would be a much more efficient system and provide customers the bug status that we all need.

Message 11 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

Yesterday I was provided a Netgear support case number for this bug via a email asking to set up a time for a Netgear L2 Support Expert to call me.

This morning we discussed the network drive file size problem with firmware update 1.0.2.36. He asked me to provide some additional screen shots (with firmware update 1.0.2.36 installed) and copy of my Router settings which I uploaded to Netgear support.

I have to admit that I'm impressed that I got a email from Netgear support on a Saturday night and a call from Netgear support on Sunday morning. Looks like Netgear is trying to provide 24/7 service to their customers.

All we can do is now wait. Hopefully Netgear now has all the information they need to fix this bug and will get us a new firmware update ASAP.

Message 12 of 46
JakeG
Aspirant

Thanks to all of you that are confirming this issue with the R7800 v1.0.2.36 firmware. I have 2 external USB drives (Seagate Expansion 1TB, and WD EasyStore 4TB) connected to my R7800 and I thought I was crazy when I looked at the file properties of one of my backup files... it was "-" negative.

I called Netgear tech support and gave them all of my info and observations. And I told (Melvin) that rolling the firmware back to the prior version wasn't a good option because of the security vulnerability... so I/we all have to live without backups until Netgear fixes this problem. The Netgear rep put me on hold to talk to one of the community moderators to find out if they had a fix yet and they said no they didn't have one yet. They said they would leave my case open and call me back in a week to provide me an update.

PLEASE EXPEDITE A NEW FIRMWARE FIX FOR THE NETGEAR R7800! Thank you 🙂

Message 13 of 46
tmv22
Aspirant

On Macs, Time Machine backups fail as well.  Down grading to .32 fixes the problem.  SMB works to access the drives, but Time Machine fails to see them.

Message 14 of 46
m4verick
Aspirant

Confirmed!

Firmware 1.0.2.36 broke USB storage over 2GB file copy/move/play availability.

I tried downgrade to 1.0.2.28 and USB was not recognized anymore at all.

Dear Netgear please fix this ASAP.

Message 15 of 46

Remember, if you have problems, factory reset after every firmware flash, especially when you "downgrade". A painful nuisance, but often successful.

Message 16 of 46
Ltl_Bear
Aspirant

Any updates from Netgear on getting this fixed?  It has rendered my network drive mostly useless.

Message 17 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

A lot of R7800 owners have been complaining about this bug but so far we have not seen any software update to fix this problem.

I posted this problem on this Netgear support forum on 10/10/2017 (others posted earlier) and I have an open Netgear support case number on this bug. Besides the detailed information I provided Netgear in this post, I have twice sent Netgear emails with screenshots along with with details of this network drive problem.

It is taking Netgear way too long to fix this simple bug. With the information I provided in my post I showed that Voxel found this bug right after the 1.0.2.36 firmware was released by Netgear, diagnosed it, fixed it, and then released his excellent R7800 custom firmrware:

http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html

I find it very interesting that Voxel had no problem finding this Samba bug in the R7800 1.0.2.36 firmware and quickly fixed it before he released his custom firmware. Why can't Netgear fix it?

As I said before, the MAIN reason I (and others) bought a R7800 was for the network drive support. R7800 owners are forced to revert to version 1.0.2.32 just to get their network drive working again. This is not a good solution because now they are vulnerable to the security flaws fixed in version 1.0.2.36

What is it taking Netgear so long to provide R7800 owners a fix?

Message 18 of 46
Retired_Member
Not applicable

i hope they fix the sowdowns n  disconnects to

Message 19 of 46
TH3F4TC0BRA
Aspirant

Does anyone have any new information?

Is Netgear attempting to fix this problem?

When?

Message 20 of 46
Nooneshere
Aspirant

I guess I will be putting this router up on Ebay soon, to many issues not beign cared for.

Message 21 of 46
VXP
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought this router recently and I am also experiencing the same problem. I have opened an email support ticket. If I don't get any satisfactory response then I will return it and buy Asus or Linksys router.

Message 22 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

Goodbye to everyone and good luck. I have wasted enough of my valuable time trying to get Netgear to fix this bug.

I think I have been very patient since it has been over a month since the 1.0.2.36 firmware was released (8/29/2017) with this fatal flaw in it.

That being said, I have totally given up on Netgear ever fixing this problem. Yesterday I installed DD-WRT (Kong version) on my R7800 router. Below is the link:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/

It took me a little time to figure out how to get my Network drive working but now everything is working as it should. As an additional plus, DD-WRT offers encrypted DNS that is missing in the stock Netgear firmware.

As I said before, I spent a lot of my hard earned money buying a high end Netgear router that I really liked until Netgear broke it with the 1.0.2.36 firmware update. The total lack of urgency by Netgear to fix this problem is appalling.

There is an old saying "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me". Well Netgear, you got my money once, never again.

Message 23 of 46
JakeG
Aspirant

Anyone from Netgear watcing this post at all? Your customers are waiting for a response. Can you please show some customer-service orientated skill and give an appropriate response? This is not asking too much from an organization with your technical know-how and professionals working for it. Its what has gotten you to be one of the top brands that customers rely on for good quality equipment. So please take into consideration that your response is being highly anticipated to ease your customers concerns.

Thank you.

A fellow IT Professional

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router,R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 24 of 46
m4verick
Aspirant

I think they don't give a f*k about users specially here at the foum so we just have to wait. Overall their routers are ok, and this is the first time they fuc*ed up I think?

Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7