Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 firmware update 1.0.2.36 broke Network Drive - unable to make backups.

JamesGL
Master

Re: R7800 firmware update 1.0.2.36 broke Network Drive - unable to make backups.

Hi All,

Issue has been reported already and NETGEAR is working on it. I will provide feedback for any updates.

Message 26 of 46
mulhearn22
Tutor

I am also seeing this issue on .36.  Going to try rolling back and hopefully that will fix the issue.

Message 27 of 46
mulhearn22
Tutor

Reverting to .32 worked. Didn't have to factory reset.

Message 28 of 46
JakeG
Aspirant

May we all know some information then; when did they "Start" working on the fix please? Any update is better than none at all sir.

Thank you

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 29 of 46
m4verick
Aspirant

Hi Guys!
I have good news here. I've updated my R7800 with Voxel's 1.0.2.40SF firmware, and all my settings, static IPs, open ports, etc. have been transferred to the new firmware with doing nothing. And the most critical 2Gb problem is gone!

Message 30 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

Netgear has finally released R7800 firmware version 1.0.2.38 that fixes the Network Drive bug introduced in the version 1.0.2.36 firmware:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7800/R7800-V1.0.2.38.zip

Message 31 of 46
Killhippie
Prodigy

there is a new firmware out 1.0.2.38 no idea what it fixes as Netgear have decided to post nothing useful at all in the description which is not helpful. Netgear seem to just not give a damn these days. Next router will be an Asus with Merlins firmware, after years with netgear their lack of proactive updates and no real security features like Asus's AIProtection just shows how far they have slipped behind. Its a real shame because the R7800 is a great router just with awful firmware and code that's so old its almost fossilized.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes security issues.
  • Fixes minor bugs.

Known unfixed issues:

• Intel7260/3160 has a connection problem with the R7800 when the HT160 is enabled. This issue is due to the Intel driver. Intel is looking into this.

Message 32 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

"Fixes minor bugs.", no mention that this firmware fixes the Network Drive bug.

This was a MAJOR bug since version 1.0.2.36 completely broke the Network drive functionality on the R7800.

Netgear took almost 2 months to finally release a fix for a bug they created in the 1.0.2.36 firmware.

Wake up Netgear, this is not customer service!

Message 33 of 46
m4verick
Aspirant

After this fu%$%^p I will not use Netgear firmware anymore. Voxel's firmware works perfect and my local network transfer speed is better than original Netgear's firmware.

Message 34 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

Unfortunately, Voxel’s excellent R7800 firmware still relies on the Netgear core code and there are lot’s of packages/code that Voxel does not have access to that are still 100% under Netgear’s control.

I have used Voxel’s firmware but at this point I'm so tempted to go back to DD-WRT (Kong) because of this. Voxel works very hard to produce a quality firmware but there still is the Netgear controlled part of the firmware that scares me.

Netgear still has not acknowledged that they fixed the KRACK security concern for the R7800 so I wonder how many other security concerns exist…

Message 35 of 46
mulhearn22
Tutor

Confirmed that .38 fixes the network drive issue.

Message 36 of 46
avtella
Prodigy

If you want a true alternative to stock, LEDE (OpenWRT) is better on this device than DDWRT especially due to the “Piece of Cake” option in SQM QoS which is an improvement over FQ_Codel.
Message 37 of 46
knodi
Guide

I had the same issue and I moved to the voxel-firmware. It fixed the issue. I'm never buying Netgear again their firmware testing must be non existent and it only took them 2 months to **bleep**ing release a new firmware with fix.

http://voxel-firmware.com/

Message 38 of 46
knodi
Guide

Also when the **bleep** is Netgear going to release a KRACK bug fix for WPA???? its been 3 months!!!

Message 39 of 46
AhnFire
Guide

Confirmed .38 fixed the network issue.

Also, the WIFI krack... doesn't that require the whole WIFI consortium to update the protocol? I don't think Netgear can solve it on their own.

Message 40 of 46
knodi
Guide

Other vendors have already rolled out a fix for KRACK, its only Netgear and few other **bleep** vendor that are lagging behind.

Message 41 of 46

@knodi wrote:

Other vendors have already rolled out a fix for KRACK

Which vendors do you have in mind? I see complaints like this elsewhere. Who has fixed it?

Netgear has released some updates. You may have to check for them.

Actually, this is much less of an issue for Netgear than it is for most of the tech sector. KRACK is really all about wifi clients. (I have read the original research paper from Leuven.)

With routers and modems you have to put them into bridge mode to make them vulnerable. Have you done that?

If your router is working simply as a router or your modem is just a gateway (modem/router) it won't affect you.

The people who really need to fix this are Apple and Google (Android). But I guess it is harder to be rude about them.

Until they do, I suggest that you wrap all your tablets and mobile phones in tin foil.

Message 42 of 46
rbird2
Luminary

Updated List of WPA-2 KRACK Patches in Consumer Routers (Last Updated 22-Nov-2017):

https://www.macobserver.com/news/list-of-krack-patches-routers/

Message 43 of 46

That looks to be seriously out of date. I have seen updates from both Netgear and D-Link that it doesn't mention.

Netgear manages to obscure the issue by writing truly useless Release Notes that simple say "security issues" without saying what they do.

That article does though remind me of an important factor that gets lost when people bash Netgear and other modem/router brands. This is a chip maker problem. Everyone uses the same chips. That's where the vulnerabilities lie.

Amusing observation on Apple. As ever, it won't say anything and behaves as if it is immune to all security holes. But if you are prepared to pay $1000 for a phone, you expect it to walk on water.

Message 44 of 46
knodi
Guide

Thats kind of a dumb arugment, KRACK is a major issue and all vendor that have patched it have acknowlaged it.

As far as Apple when they patched KRACK they acknowlaged it was patched.

Message 45 of 46

Did you bother to read the article that @rbird2 linked to? Or do you live in a fact free world?

You might also benefit from reading the responses to the discussion from Dave Hamilton, who wrote that piece.

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7