R7800 firmware update not working

jocr
Aspirant

R7800 firmware update not working

My download speed on my wired computer is 120, but only 40 on the computer right next to it which on wifi.  Customer support will not speak to me unless I spend $90.  They sent me a link to update the firmware but when I try to download the firware, I cannot open it as I get a message that the disc image is corrupted.  I am getting very frusterated and do not know what to do besides throw the router away and never but anything from Netgear again.  Any ideas?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R7800 firmware update not working

You will need to manually install that firmware disc img not try to open it.

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router

DarrenM

Message 2 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] Customer support [...] sent me a link to update the firmware
> [...]

Which was?

> [...] but when I try to download the firware, [...]

Download how?  To what?

> [...] I cannot open it [...]

Which "it"?  "open it" how, exactly?

> [...] as I get a message that the disc image is corrupted.

Presumably, the firmware link was to a zip archive, which may have
been unpacked automatically by your web browser.  When that zip archive
was unpacked, you should have gotten a ".img" file (the firmware image)
and a Release Notes ".html" file which should include instructions for
installing the firmware.  If you double-click on the ".html" file, then
you should see those Release Notes, and the instructions.

If you double-click on the ".img" file, then you may get a confusing
error message, because that's not how to install the firmware.

> [...] Any ideas?

Reading the instructions is usually a good way to start.

Message 3 of 18
jocr
Aspirant

Thank you.  I had read the instructions, but I did not know how to extract a file (nor know that I did not know how to do so), so that was where I was going wrong.  I was able to extract the file and when I uploaded it, I recieved a message that it is the incorrect firmware.  The file had the exact name as the instructions and my router is he x43 R7800.  The file was R7800-V1.0.2.58

I am not sure what is going wrong

Please note, as I'm sure is obvious, that I am not a technically savy person so the problem might be obvious to thers, but is not to me

Message 4 of 18

@jocr

No worries.  We're all here to help each other.

I suggest you perform the update from a PC connected directly to the router via wire.  

If the previous update failed, you might want to redownload the file to ensure it wasn't corrupt.  Delete the current folder from your PC and start again.  

If you do in fact have a R7800 this is the file you need 1.0.2.58  Do as you did before, unzip the file.  The extracted folder will have 2 files .img and .html as @antinode mentioned.  The .img file is the FW.

Next step, restart your router and allow it to fully boot again.  Log into your router from a machine connected via ethernet.  Then Advanced tab > Administration (left-hand pane) > Router Update

Use the browse button and select R7800...1.0.2.58.img from the folder you unzipped. 

Now press upload.  Do not disturb the update.  Takes a minute and the router will reboot.  Log in again and navigate to Advanced tab > Administration (left-hand pane) > Back Up Settings.  Use the Erase button on this page to reset the router "Revert To Factory Defaults.  Now set up again. 

If you receive the same error, please look at the label on the bottom of your router and confirm you do indeed have a R7800.  If confirmed, try resetting the router to defaults prior to reflashing again.  

I don't recall seeing posts from anyone else saying they were unable to flash 1.0.2.58

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 5 of 18
Wayneo42348
Aspirant

Not for sure but think they may be pulling this particually firmware update, has to do with invalid password problems.

i could be wrong but my router won’t update it also and I noticed the problem listed elsewhere in these communities.

Message 6 of 18

@Wayneo42348

If what you say is true, that would explain why @jocr is having issues.  When I searched for 1.0.2.58, I saw posts from several users who had successfully updated to this FW version?? 

Message 7 of 18
Wayneo42348
Aspirant

Yes, I myself had updated to 58, started having issues with invalid password even though it was correct. To my surprise you can install earlier versions of firmware. I did so and my problems ceased. I saw on other forums several did the same downgrade with success in resolving the password issue.

Message 8 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] The file was R7800-V1.0.2.58

The zip archive should be "R7800-V1.0.2.58.zip", and the firmware
image file should be "R7800-V1.0.2.58.img".  Which one are you trying to
upload?

Message 9 of 18
jocr
Aspirant

img

Message 10 of 18
jocr
Aspirant

Thank you.  I reset to factory settings, but it doesn;t look like it updated the firmware (still says V1.0.2.20)

I have spent about  hours on this today, and there are some people saying there is an issue with the firmware.  I am going to give up for now and see if my amazon prime and netflix will work tomorrow (which precipitated all of this).  They seem to be working onow.  If I still have issues and need to update, I will try again.  I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me

Message 11 of 18

@jocr

See my last post in this thread.  It explains channel selection / separation and the role it can play in wireless performance.

Message 12 of 18

@jocr wrote:

Thank you.  I reset to factory settings, but it doesn;t look like it updated the firmware (still says V1.0.2.20)

It is a large jump from 1.0.2.20 to Firmware Version 1.0.2.58, nearly into double figures. Netgear sometimes requires a particular version before the newest will work.

So you could try flashing with something between the latest and your version.  Take your pick from here:

Nighthawk X4S R7800 | AC2600 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

I'd start somewhere in the middle. Read and follow the release notes.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 13 of 18
echo8287
Aspirant

You will have a pick a firmware before the latest one and then update with the latest one. My router came with 28 version so I updated to the 46 version and then to the 58 version. It worked just fine that way. Going from the 20's to 58 the wheel of death would just keep spinning and the update stayed on 0%. You will know its updating when you get a blue dashed series of lines increasing as the update progresses. Try this

Message 14 of 18

Greetings,

There are no prerequisites or minumum version requirements for flashing firmwares.  You can flash up or down from any version you wish to any version earlier or later supported by your router model.

Any upgrade or downgrade that fails is not due to the current FW version or the one you are trying to move to. 

Just wanted to clarify for anyone reading this thread.

Message 15 of 18
echo8287
Aspirant

I realize and read previously that you could update from any previous version. I tried 4 times to jump straight to 58 all failed. So I read on another post that they had all firmware versions in one place. Flashed to 46 that worked fine(using the exact same procedure I tried on 58) then to 58 and then it worked fine too. I noticed others having problems with the latest firmware and just thought I'd share what worked for me. So if you are having problems there is something else to try. Regardless of what is supposed to work.

Message 16 of 18

@echo8287 wrote:

So if you are having problems there is something else to try. Regardless of what is supposed to work.

You are correct in asserting that it is not always possible to switch between different firmware at will. You won't even find Netgear making such a bold claim.

I came across the problem in beta tests of new hardware. The Netgear team specifically instructed us to install a particular firmware version before we could use a new one. A simple upgrade just would not work.

So, if Netgear recognises this issue, who am I to argue? That and the fact that this strategy has rescued other people is why I offer this as a suggestion when people find that they cannot make giant leaps in their firmware.

Glad that it worked for you. Yet more confirmation that it is not a mad ifei.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 17 of 18
antinode
Guru

> There are no prerequisites or minumum version requirements for
> flashing firmwares. [...]

I don't know enough about how Netgear devices do their updates to be
so confident.  Knowing nothing doesn't necessarily inhibit speculation,
of course...

If the only thing involved were loading a firmware image, then I'd
expect little to no version dependence.  But, if the update procedure
needs to translate old settings storage into a new form to accommodate
the newer firmware (which might have new/different options/settings),
then the new firmware must include the conversion procedure, and that
procedure might have a minimum-version requirement.  Which should, of
course, be documented in the (usually worthless) Release Notes for the
new version.  If that conversion failed, then the update procedure might
abort, leaving the old state unchanged.

I'd (continue to) speculate that a TFTP firmware load might have a
better chance (assuming that it doesn't try to preserve old settings).
But what do I know?

If you have a device as stagnant as a D7000[v1], where the only
apparent difference in the ".cfg" settings file between versions like,

say:

< # FW Version V1.0.1.48_1.0.1
---
> # FW Version V1.0.1.66_1.0.1

is that version number and the checksum, then I'd expect few such
problems.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats