Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 firmware update to v1.02.62 caused internet connection to stop working

rhodess
Aspirant

R7800 firmware update to v1.02.62 caused internet connection to stop working

Model - R7800 nighthawk

I updated the firmware yesterday from v1.0.2.5x to v1.0.2.62.  Immediately following the update to the firmware the router could no longer see the modem. I swapped out cables, tested connetivity to the modem directly from a laptop and through a switch - internet connection is fine.

The router simply will not provide an internet connection.

I reset back to factory default, and when it came up it was updated with firmware v1.0.2.60, and it still will not connect to the internet through the modem (Motorola modem).

I bought the router in February 2017 - it has worked great until this firmware issue. What could have been in the firmware update that would have caused it to stop working? And what do I do to get my router working again?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7800 firmware update to v1.02.62 caused internet connection to stop working

I have found the following steps to work with two different R7800 routers connected to Comcast XB6 Gateways that are set in bridge mode.

The sequence of the following steps is important for success. Download and flash the v1.02.63 hotfix firmware on your router. 

Through the graphical user interface, go to Advanced -> Administration -> Backup Settings and revert to factory default settings. 

When the router restarts, be sure and go to Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update and set the I disagree to router auto firmware update option.

Disconnect the power from your router.

Disconnect the power form your modem.

Wait a minimum of 20 minutes.

Reconnect the power to your modem and give it enough time to fully start up and connect to your service provider. Estimate five to ten minutes.

Reconnect the power and turn on your router.  The Internet connected LED should turn white as the final step of the boot process.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

I have found the following steps to work with two different R7800 routers connected to Comcast XB6 Gateways that are set in bridge mode.

The sequence of the following steps is important for success. Download and flash the v1.02.63 hotfix firmware on your router. 

Through the graphical user interface, go to Advanced -> Administration -> Backup Settings and revert to factory default settings. 

When the router restarts, be sure and go to Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update and set the I disagree to router auto firmware update option.

Reconnect the power to your modem and give it enough time to fully start up and connect to your service provider. Estimate five to ten minutes.

Reconnect the power and turn on your router.  The Internet connected LED should turn white as the final step of the boot process.

Message 2 of 9
rhodess
Aspirant

@Kitsap 

That did it (after two passes a the process).

What problem did that solve? Do you have details on the source of the issue?

Thank you for the quick assistance. Much appreciated!

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 3 of 9
Kitsap
Master

Not sure exactly what it solves.  The internet connection between the router and the gateway seems to be difficult to estabish when you make changes and reboot too many times too quickly. 

This comes from experience with several years of updating firmware or swapping various ASUS and Netgear routers connected to different Comcast gateways. 

Message 4 of 9

@Kitsap wrote:

20 minutes is far too long.

This is the usual advice for rebooting a network:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

You can usually time things by looking at the LEDs on the devices.

Message 5 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@michaelkenward 

You missed the point entirely.  The 20 minute wait is while the device is completely disconnected from power.

Two minutes is not sufficient for a Comcast gateway to boot and establish connections.

Message 6 of 9

@Kitsap wrote:

@michaelkenward 

You missed the point entirely.  The 20 minute wait is while the device is completely disconnected from power.

Two minutes is not sufficient for a Comcast gateway to boot and establish connections.

That is not the experience of many users.

But it is easy to miss the point when someone fails to explain why they made that point ion the first place.

It is unwise to make definitive statements on the basis of incomplete information.

Who told you that @rhodess is a Comcast customer? Or even that they have cable Internet?

Message 7 of 9
rhodess
Aspirant

@michaelkenward , I did originally try everything in the adivce EXCEPT the 20 minute disconnect. I had assumed as well that a few minutes of disconnect would solve the problem. However, even after the first 20 minute disconnect I still had no internet connectivity. I hard reset to factory again, got things running (still no internet connectivity), then did the 20-30 minute disconnect for a second time.

After that, things were working as they should. It makes NO sense to me, but I have limited network experience.

I did mention I have a Motorola modem. And it turns out I do have coble internet through Comcast. This may very well be an issue with communications from a Comcast cable modem - I have no idea. But bottom line, the only thing different than what I had already tried was the long power down cycle.  So regardlesas of everything else, the steps @Kitsap sent truly solved the problem. I do wish I understood why though... 🙂

Thank you both for the input.

Message 8 of 9
rhodess
Aspirant

UPDATE:

My router stopped seeing my cable modem again today. I found another post that lead me to a simple fix (link below). Apparently the cable modem is set up to recognize and remember the first device it connected to. I happen to still have the laptop I used to first set the cable modem up (thankfully). I changed the MAC address in the router setup as the MAC address for that laptop ethernet port. I didn't have to restart anything - it just started working after applying the change. My guess is that was the issue all along, but I suppose we'll never know. Thanks again for all the input.

Here is the link to the article I found the MAC address fix in:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Fix-for-router-constantly-losing-conne...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7