Luminary

R7800 in AP mode

Before changing from router mode to AP mode (it will be connected to a router/modem), I'd like to understand whether I can still use the LAN ports for my wired devices, i.e. will my NAS still get an IP address and wroking properly ?

Also, will I still be able to manage the devices connected to the R7800 with the app, i.e. will I still be able to go into 'Device Manager' and pausing/resuming Internet for a device ?

Tia.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 8
Guru

Re: R7800 in AP mode

> Before changing from router mode to AP mode, [...]

Why?  To what is your R7800 connected?

> I'd like to understand whether I can still use the LAN ports for my
> wired devices, i.e. will my NAS still get an IP address and wroking
> properly ?

The LAN Ethernet ports should work.  Nothing will "get an IP address"
from the R7800-as-WAP, but if the R7800-as-WAP is connected to a DHCP
server, then devices which are connected to the R7800-as-WAP should be
able to communicate with that DHCP server.

> [...] with the app, [...]

Which "the app"?

> [...] will I still be able to go into 'Device Manager' and
> pausing/resuming Internet for a device ?

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/

Message 2 of 8
Luminary

I mean the Nighthawk WiFi Router App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netgear.netgearup

So, the question was: will I still have the "Device Manager" funtionality within the app which it allows to pause/resume Internet for the devices connected to the R7800 ?

Message 3 of 8

@hushcoden wrote:

So, the question was: will I still have the "Device Manager" funtionality within the app which it allows to pause/resume Internet for the devices connected to the R7800 ?

Consult this for features that don't work in AP mode.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 8
Luminary

Hmmm... let's not confuse app (mobile application) with AP (access point)... let me rephrase: I'm not asking which features I lose in AP mode, I'm wondering if with the Nighthawk mobile app I will still be able to control the wireless devices connected to the R7800, e.g. still be able to pause/resume their Internet...

I really don't know how to make it any clearer...

Is there anybody from Netgear who would kindly give me an answer ?

Message 5 of 8
NETGEAR Moderator

No you can not control the devices but you are able to still see the devices using the app while in AP mode.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 8
Master

In AP mode, the router basically operates like a switch and passes on everything it receives. It has no control over what comes in or goes out, so no, you won't be able to control your devices with the app. You may see them being connected but that's it

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.81SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 7 of 8

@hushcoden wrote:

I'm not asking which features I lose in AP mode, I'm wondering if with the Nighthawk mobile app I will still be able to control the wireless devices connected to the R7800...

Forgive me, I thought that the subject of your message, "R7800 in AP mode", was about  using the R7800 in AP mode. My mistake.

@hushcoden wrote:

I really don't know how to make it any clearer...

You could start by not using the wrong subject.

The R7800 does not give a toss about how you approach it. Mobile app, router graphical user interface, crystal ball, they will all see the same result in AP mode.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements