R7800 intermittently stops broadcasting 5ghz signal

AllenFambro
Follower

R7800 intermittently stops broadcasting 5ghz signal

Hello. 

I have a R7800 firmware v1.0.2.52 running in AP Mode.  Recently I noticed that my R7800 intermittently stops broadcasting its 5ghz signal.  A simple reboot of the router has always resolved the issue.  I also noticed that if I dont reboot the router, it eventually stops broadcasting the 2.4ghz signal as well.  This issue doesn't occur on a consistant interval.  It usually varies from every other day to weekly.  However recently it happened twice within a 24 hour period (hence why Im finally troubleshooting).  Any thoughts or assistance is welcome.

I have reviewed the discussions here on the board and do acknowledge the issues experienced around firmware updates.  I will attempt to reset my router to factory defaults and re-apply my settings to see if that resolves the issue.  More info to follow.  Thanks.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 5
Florisz
Tutor

Re: R7800 intermittently stops broadcasting 5ghz signal

Hi I thought that I had the same problem.
In the Genie app under WiFi Analytics - Network status I could not see the 5ghz signal anymore.(I use the same SSID name for the 5ghz and 2,4Ghz). After reboot of the router I could still not see the 5Ghz band in network status.
But after reboot of my Android phone it connected to the 5ghz channel right away and also under network status it shows the 5ghz channel again.(after expanding the line with the SSID name ofcourse)
Flohome is my main SSID(on 11(2,4) and 44(5ghz). My guest network(Flohomgast) is enabled on 2,4ghz only.
It is not possible to change the channel(always using the same as the primary) of the guest network and because they are using the same network subnet also, It looks like it is only a router filter in stead of a really separate network.
Message 2 of 5
Florisz
Tutor

Forgot the screenshot....
Message 3 of 5

@AllenFambro wrote:

I will attempt to reset my router to factory defaults and re-apply my settings to see if that resolves the issue. 

That is an important first step with any "post flash" issues. From reports here, wifi seems to be especially prone to problens with new firmware.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@Florisz wrote:
Hi I thought that I had the same problem.

Not really the same as rebooting the Android device does apparently allow using the 5 GHz radio again. Does the problem come back say the next day, or when the Android device does wake up from sleep?

@Florisz wrote:
Flohome is my main SSID(on 11(2,4) and 44(5ghz). My guest network(Flohomgast) is enabled on 2,4ghz only.
It is not possible to change the channel(always using the same as the primary) of the guest network and because they are using the same network subnet also, It looks like it is only a router filter in stead of a really separate network.

It does not matter - one radio module does always run on the same channel (resp. channels if > 20 MHz bandwidth is used) - regardless if there is a guest network with just a Layer 2 filter prohibiting the LAN and other WLAN access as the guest network is commonly implemented on these consumer devices or of there is a dedicated network connecting to a different subnetwork/VLAN as it's done in more business oriented devices.

Mobile/portable devices can be picky when it comes to 5 GHz because these need to know the region they are operating - before they are permitted using the 5 GHz channels, as not all channels can be used everywhere, and the clients are no longer allowed to follow the wireless AP country information in the WiFi beacon.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements