Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 is limiting network upload speed

Drez143
Aspirant

R7800 is limiting network upload speed

I began noticing that my Nighthawk R7800 is limiting the upload speed of the devices on my network. 

If I run a speedtest internal to the router, the router sees my service speed of 100/100 (roughly higher actual results).

When I run a speedtest on my PC, directly connected to the router with no other devices attached, I record 100/25 speed.

I factory restarted the router several times, and I have never turned QoS on.  I've used this router for a few years now, and I didn't have this issue at least a year ago as that was the last time I ran speed tests.  Back then, both the router and my PC would record 100/100.

Is this a firmware issue?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mymedsdontwork
Initiate

Same on my R7000P.  It's a problem with Ookla Speedtest.net which shows Upload speed as 25-50% of Download speed for the past week or so.

Try Speakeasy,net or DSL Reports Speedtest and you'll get your actual DL & UL speeds.

Something's definitely wrong with the Speedtest.net website.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Drez143
Aspirant

And here is the speedtest results.

Message 2 of 6
mymedsdontwork
Initiate

Same on my R7000P.  It's a problem with Ookla Speedtest.net which shows Upload speed as 25-50% of Download speed for the past week or so.

Try Speakeasy,net or DSL Reports Speedtest and you'll get your actual DL & UL speeds.

Something's definitely wrong with the Speedtest.net website.

Message 3 of 6
pec967
Luminary

Ideally, you would like to use a Speedtest.net server closer to you than the 24 msec Round Trip Time (RTT) you posted, and to test at a time when Internet traffic level is usually low (e.g., 6 am local time). If your ISP has a Speednet.test server close to you, that is the best choice as you are testing without going to the Internet. Alternatively, try several of the servers close to you (e.g., 10 msec RTT).

For example, my local ISP has a Speedtest.net server in my city, and testing at 6:00 am with that server I routinely see 920 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up for my 1 GBps/50 Mbps service when connected via 1 Gbps Ethernet to the the R7800. I also see excellent Wi-Fi performance with 650 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up. In contrast, my Fingbox runs periodic tests every day from home to a server 200 miles away, and the results vary from 750 Mbps down to 80 Mbps down depending on the time of day.

What firmware version are you running on the R7800? I have been running the current version (1.0.2.62) for 90 days without problems. While this version has a long list of bugs, I have not seen reports of upload speed problems. Whenever I upgrade to a new firmware release, I always do a factory reset using the reset button and then configure the router manually after having been bitten a couple of times with issues. If you cannot resolve this issue by testing differently, a factory reset and a manual recofiguration would be my advice. I would leave QoS off and make minimal configuration changes.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 4 of 6
Drez143
Aspirant

Touche, my speed test looks correct on speakeasy.

Message 5 of 6
mymedsdontwork
Initiate

Please Note:  If you are using Windows 10, 8 or 7, go to the Microsoft Store & download & install Ookla's SpeedTest for Windows.  It's free & it works properly & shows full DL and UL speeds as opposed to the crippled web app. It's almost identical to the Ookla SpeedTest app for Android phones.  However, if you have fast fiber service like ATT Internet 300 (up & down), etc., your phone has to have a fast modem in it or you won't see the full speeds.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7