R7800 issues with Cable box

lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

R7800 issues with Cable box

I recently had the cable company come out. My cable/TiVo box was no longer displaying the guide so we could not see what was on or record shows. He said the problem was not on their end. He said when the box is plugged into my Nighthawk ether port it will not turn green so it is not connecting or updating. I have not problem accessing the internet just can’t get my cable box to update and work properly with the router. Please advise.
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 21

Re: R7800 issues with Cable box

@lenneaaurilia wrote:
He said when the box is plugged into my Nighthawk ether port it will not turn green so it is not connecting or updating.

Where is this light that is supposed to turn green? On the cable/TiVo box?

The colour coding of the LAN LEDs on the router acts as a speed indicator. On the R7800 the LED goes white when you plug in a gigabit ethernet connection. It will be amber for slower connections.

What is the LAN speed of the cable/TiVo box?

Does the LAN for the box come on at all?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 21
lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

The box from the cable company is plugged into the Ethernet port number 2 which is Amber. He told me it needs to be green. Cable guy said that is why I’m not getting update to my cable/ TiVo box anymore. He said to call Netgear that I might need an update or something. I honestly can not answer the other questions...
Message 3 of 21

@lenneaaurilia wrote:
He told me it needs to be green.

That's rubbish.

We don't know what the Tivo box is, the model number, but many of these things operate with 100 Mbps LAN. This will show an amber LED on the router. It will turn white, never green, if you connect a device that works at 1000 Mbps.

I find it hard to see how the LAN speed can prevent your device from updating.

Once again, I suspect an ill informed technician who is trying to pass the buck.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 21
William10a
Master

It does sound like the cable tech is passing the buck .

What modem /router do you have?

Was it working before with the some set up if so they may have updated the firmware on the modem/router(cable box).

Unless the cable box handles both the interenet service and your tv channels as well you have two different boxes from the cable company one modem and one tv channel changing box per tv for your digital cable service.

A break down of the model and model number of the devices in your the network would help.

Message 5 of 21
lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

He said it’s the router because when he connected his box directly the modem it updated but then we had no WiFi. It was working just fine the way it was for over a year. He was actually here for over 3 hours messing with it and had to call some outside company for support.
Message 6 of 21
lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

We have the R7800. The tech was here for 3 hours. It worked fine for over a year. Then it just stopped updating.
Message 7 of 21
William10a
Master

Unless the router's firmware auto updated you could check to what version of firmware is on the router.

Message 8 of 21

@William10a wrote:

What modem /router do you have?

That is an excellent question, that has been asked several times. Please tell us this.

When I read this bit:

He said it’s the router because when he connected his box directly the modem it updated but then we had no WiFi.

I began to suspect something else.

A modem that doubles as a router, so you have two routers in there.

Tell us what the modem is and you may get more useful advice. Without that information we are going round in circles.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 21
lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

Can you tell me how to do this?
Message 10 of 21
lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

The modem says ARRIS Touchstone SB6183
Message 11 of 21
William10a
Master

Your modem is a stand alone modem without a router rated at 16x4 channels and  a top speed of 686mbs.

Message 12 of 21
lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

Router- R7800
modem-Arris Touchstone SB6183
The Cable Company has something called an a action box connected. This is what updates the TiVo box. He said when he hooked it up directly to the modem he was able to update the cable box but then we don’t have WiFi. If he hooks it back up to Router which is the way it’s been the last year it won’t update. So we can watch tv but there is no guide, we can’t record and shows or watch Demand. That box is a ActionTec ECB2500 C
Message 13 of 21
lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

It says TiVo T6 and the company is Blue Ridge Cable.
Message 14 of 21
William10a
Master

https://www.actiontec.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ECB2500C_ProdSheet.pdf

The actiontec box information link is above.

https://rcn.com/tivo/features/tivot6/

Here is the tivo liknk.

The Actiontec is a modem that passes the cable signal thru coax cable that feeds interface modules that connect the other devices via a lan cable. Make a sub network on your homes tv cable wiring from I get from description.

Message 15 of 21
lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

I will read it now.
Message 16 of 21
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi lenneaaurilia,

Thank you for posting about your issue. To my understanding is that you had this setup for over a year. Your router might have auto updated somehow. Have you done a factory reset on the R7800? If not, then please proceed with the process. This will refresh the device from any old bugs and/or old configurations.

Please let me know if this helps. :]

- Jason N

Message 17 of 21
avtella
Prodigy

Try firmware ending in .38, a little older but more stable from what I have seen.

Find out what ports it needs, one or more maybe blocked which could also cause this.

Less likely but could also be a UDP broadcast issue, there was another user with Sonos issues who found UDP packets were being dropped when going from LAN to WiFi (kinda a different from this case as it’s WAN) and it was narrowed down to the NSS cores with a fix probably next update.
Message 18 of 21
lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

Yes, I have reset it twice since the cable guy insist the problem is on our end. Maybe time to get the cable company back here..
Message 19 of 21
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi lenneaaurilia,

Sorry for asking the same question. I should've been more detailed. I just want to confirm, when you said reset you did a factory reset right? (holding the reset button located on the back of the router for at least 10-15 seconds).

Please let me know. :]

- Jason N

Message 20 of 21
lenneaaurilia
Aspirant

I followed the online directions sticking the pin in and with the reset.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements