Highlighted

R7800 latest firmware?

Been on v1.0.2.62 for some time...checking thrugh the router for updates, always none available.  I see there was a v1.0.2.63 security bug fix listed from several months ago.  Was this a bug laden death firmware version, which is why it was never pushed through the router interface update sequence?

Paul

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted

Re: R7800 latest firmware?

v1.0.2.63 works fine here.

Try it and see? You can always roll back.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

I noticed a few days ago (December 23rd, I think) that my R7800 is now offering me firmware v1.0.2.68 via the firmware update page in the admin interface.  This version does not seem to be available as a download from the Netgear web site yet.  The release notes say:

Current Version: V1.0.2.62
New Version: V1.0.2.68

Current GUI Language Version: V1.0.0.352
New GUI Language Version: V1.0.0.361

Release Notes:
[New Features] Supports FCC channels 136, 140, and 144.
[Bug Fixes] Fixes minor bugs.

I expect these will be in additon to the updates in 1.0.2.63-beta (the release notes for that just said, "Fixes security bugs.").

I am always wary of beta software and wait a bit longer than usual before installing it to let the guinea pigs test for flaws.  So I'm not running 1.0.2.63-beta either. I didn't seem to have any troubles with 1.0.2.62 so there wasn't a pressing need.  It is annoying that Netgear took more than five months to bump the firmware version up from beta/hotfix to a proper release.  I'm never sure if that sort of thing happens because the software has real problems, the product has been obsoleted and everyone has stopped work on it (like the 12 year old "beta" BIOS in the Asus motherboard of the computer I'm using today), Netgear know it's problem-free but are too lazy (or overworked) to release a non-beta version, or Netgear just forgot about the beta status until the next version came around.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted

@moopig wrote:

I noticed a few days ago (December 23rd, I think) that my R7800 is now offering me firmware v1.0.2.68 via the firmware update page in the admin interface. 

I updated. No problems.

@moopig wrote:

This version does not seem to be available as a download from the Netgear web site yet.  The release notes say:

These things can take time to hit the support pages.

Sometimes they land there before they hit the update server. There seems to be no logic to the process.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

@michaelkenward I've just spotted another three threads on firmware version 1.0.2.68, including your one that announced its existence over a week ago.  So my post didn't add anything new or helpful.  That's what happens when you stumble across a post via an Internet search engine and dash off a hasty reply instead of reading the forums first!

It's good to hear you haven't found any problems with the new firmware.  I shall update the R7800 bridge in my lounge without much delay.

Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

I've been using the 1.0.2.68 firmware in my R7800 for a few days now and I do have a problem with it.

The R7800 is in bridge mode in my lounge, connecting four entertainment devices with wired Ethernet to a D7800 modem/router in another room over 5GHz wi-fi.  I get good connection speed (the R7800 usually reports it has a 1000 - 1300 Mbps link).  However, I have had to power cycle the R7800 three or four times in the past week.  The problem I am having is that the wired devices all get disconnected and are unable to access the Internet or my LAN.  The R7800 bridge itself, though, is still conncted to the LAN.  I can log into the bridge's admin page and see all devices on my network other than the wired ones connected directly to the bridge.  After power power cycling everything works perfectly again - for about a day or so.  I haven't spotted any pattern to the wired devices' disconnections, other than *maybe* it's related to long periods of Ethernet inactivity.

In bridge mode it's not possible to reboot the R7800 remotely, like you can in router mode.  That option is missing from the admin web interface when in bridge mode for some reason.  This is rather annoying because the power button on the R7800 is almost inaccessible in my installation.

I haven't tried a factory reset yet.  I'll try that sometime in the next few days.  If that doesn't work I'll go back to firmware 1.0.2.62, which was the version I had been using previously for several months without any troubles.

Message 6 of 12
Highlighted

@moopig wrote:

The R7800 is in bridge mode in my lounge, connecting four entertainment devices with wired Ethernet to a D7800 modem/router in another room over 5GHz wi-fi. 

The "Bridge mode" label usually refers to "wireless repeater". At least, that is the meaning in the manual for the R7800.

The description you give, with wired Ethernet connecting modem to router, is more commonly used in wireless access point (AP) mode.

Then again, "wired Ethernet to a D7800 modem/router in another room over 5GHz wi-fi" is puzzling. Which is it? Wired Ethernet or 5GHz wi-fi?

Just another user.

Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

The bridge mode which I mentioned is the one described in the "Use the Router in Bridge Mode" section of the R7800 user manual.  My configuration is almost identical to the accompanying picture (figure 8), with the Netgear device on the left in the picture being my wireless router/modem (D7800) and the one on the right with all the wired Ethernet devices plugged into it being my R7800 in bridge mode.  This bridge mode is the one selected on the Advanced Setup  -->  Router/AP/Bridge Mode page of the admin interface (with "Bridge Mode" selected, not "Router Mode" nor "AP Mode", obviously).  It forms a wireless bridge between multiple wired-only devices and the rest of the LAN.  It's not a wireless repeater.

Message 8 of 12
Highlighted

@moopig wrote:

My configuration is almost identical to the accompanying picture (figure 8), with the Netgear device on the left in the picture being my wireless router/modem (D7800) and the one on the right with all the wired Ethernet devices plugged into it being my R7800 in bridge mode. 

So there is no wired Ethernet connection between the D7800 and R7800.

I got confused with the two references in the same sentence.

The problem is that Netgear and users have a habit of using different labels to describe things. Bridge mode is a particularly odd because it can also apply to modem/routers in modem only mode.And don't even think about "Enable Bridge Mode for an IPTV Device".

Wireless repeater also gets used in different ways. So we get "bridge", "repeater" and then WDS used to describe the same thing in different contexts. Indeed, the diagram that appears in the R7800 manual is just like the one that appears in the WDS bit of the manual for the R7000, which also uses the "repeater" label for WDS.

Then there is the "repeater" tag, which is also gets bandied about in different ways.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

Yes, Netgear's use of the word "bridge" is rather confusing.  My setup is what I call a wireless bridge and have been using for many years, but the R7800 user manual also describes how to "Set Up a Bridge for a Port Group or VLAN Tag Group" which is something completely different (I confess I don't even know exactly what that does, but I don't seem to need it).  Also, some routers which support setting up a "Bridge for a VLAN" won't work as a wireless bridge.  This is something that almost caught me out once a few years ago when I was looking for a router which could also function as a wireless bridge and I just searched Netgear's user manuals for the word "bridge".

To make things even less clear, some Netgear wi-fi range extenders (repeaters) can also be put into a mode where they function as a single Ethernet cable bridge but Netgear don't call it a bridge there.  e.g. EX6150 range extender, where the only time the word "bridge" appears in the documentation is in the section about what the wireless range extender mode does where it is described as a metaphorical bridge (they don't actually call it "bridge mode", they just say that it forms a bridge between a wi-fi router and wi-fi devices which would normally be out of range), but in the section in the manual on connecting an Ethernet-enabled (i.e. cabled) device, which is actually a single-device wireless bridge, they don't use the B-word at all.

I think Netgear's descriptions of router, access point and bridge modes could be a lot clearer.  An access point (AP) connects multiple wireless devices to the LAN via a single Ethernet cable.  A bridge effectively does the reverse and connects multiple Ethernet cabled devices to the LAN via a single wireless link.  I don't think the documentation makes it that obvious.  I suppose if you do want to use AP or Bridge mode then it might be reasonable to assume that you're not a complete beginner and Netgear didn't feel it necessary to explain it in minute detail.

Back on topic:  I forgot to mention in my description of the problem that the R7800 bridge itself has been allocated a fixed IP address by my router but none of the wired devices attached to the bridge have been.  I don't know if that's relevant.  I have just seen a post by another user also having problems with their R7800 since they flashed v1.0.2.68 firmware ("Router R7800 doesn't automatically reconnect to internet after Firmware update to 1.0.2.68" thread).  Their wi-fi devices stopped reconnecting to the router after going out of range and returning.  They found that either power cycling the router or allocating each mobile device a fixed IP address was necessary for them to reconnect.  It sounds like it might be a related problem, just with wireless not wired and router mode not bridge.

Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

A full reset (holding the RESET button in for 10 seconds) didn't fix the problem with wired Ethernet devices not being able to connect to the R7800 in wireless bridge mode after a long period of inactivity on firmware v1.0.2.68.  Crawling round the back of my TV cabinet to reboot the router every day was getting tiresome so I have now gone back to the last good, non-beta firmware (v1.0.2.62 from January 2019).

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted

@moopig wrote:

A full reset (holding the RESET button in for 10 seconds) didn't fix the problem with wired Ethernet devices not being able to connect to the R7800 in wireless bridge mode after a long period of inactivity on firmware v1.0.2.68.

You don't say, but I assume that you put the router back into wireless bridge mode after the reset which will, of course, put it back into router mode.

Just another user.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements