Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 login problems following a successful login.

dougwms
Aspirant

R7800 login problems following a successful login.

Running upgrade v1.0.2.62, I log into my router at http://192.168.1.1 and enter the program successfully. However, as soon as I make a selection from the BASIC or ADVANCED menu such as ATTACHED DEVICES or anythin else, the very same "Sign in" pop-up appears again requiring another sign-in. It shows the USERNAME and PASSWORD fields already filled in, and looks exactly like the pop-up window that appeared when I signed in only seconds before. If I press the SIGN IN tab, the pop-up reappears with both username and password fields empty.  

I enter the very same username (admin) and password that I used in the first place to get me into the BASIC and ADVANCED menu area, but the pop-up continues to appear and I cannot get beyond it, thereby never being able to enter and work within any sub-menu area. The only thing possible to do is close out the window itself and give up.  It's hard to understand how my name and password can log me in once, but cannot be entered again to get past this second login pop-up. Also, why does this second login pop-up appear anyway? I'm already logged in. I'm new at this, but will try to attach a screenshot.

My password has some special characters, but they always worked in the past. Unless the latest upgrade has problems with ones like @ or $ or !, I am at a loss as to what is going on. But I'm dead in the water for the time being. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
dougwms
Aspirant

Thanks again for all the help. I have resolved my original issue by following the suggestions provided here for factory reset, manual configuration, and a less complicated password. I have since learned that my R7800 and ZyXel C1100z are not properly configured. I have gone to the links provided by michaelkenward and realize that I need to make setup changes in order to maximize the capabilities of my R7800. I will do my best to configure the changes, but also realize that's a different problem than my original one and there are good resources for that elsewhere in this forum. So I am going to post this and then indicate that this problem has been solved - thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
microchip8
Master

I'm on the same firmware version (.62) and do not have that problem. I suggest doing a factory reset and using a password without special characters and also clear your browser's cache. After factory reset, configure things manually - don't import a backup settings file as this defeats the purpose of the reset

Message 2 of 9

Likewise. No problems here.

To rule out other issues, it might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

Message 3 of 9
dougwms
Aspirant

The modem in front of the router is a Zyxel c1100z. I'll try to remember to include that in future posts. Problems began after I updated to Firmware v1.0.2.62 and GUI v1.0.0.352. BTW is that the correct GUI, which is verified in ADVANCED - ROUTER SETTINGS page?  Also, after update I was informed that my password wasn't secure enough, and that I needed a change. I went from a rather secure 11-char to an even more secure 14-char pw both with about the same number of special characters, although I now wish I had declined to change password. Just to make sure it wasn't browser related like cache issues, I tried in both IE and Chrome, and then from a 2nd desktop. The issue continued. So I believe the factory reset is my next step. I have never done this, but suppose I need to look through all setup pages and note my settings - or is there a better way? Any caveats? Thanks for all help responses.

Message 4 of 9
microchip8
Master

if you go for factory reset, you need to manually configure everything. Do not import a backup settings file as it defeats the purpose of the reset (since it introduces the same values that may be causing the problem)

Message 5 of 9

@dougwms wrote:

The modem in front of the router is a Zyxel c1100z.

That looks suspiciously like a modem/router with an array of LAN ports on the back.So you have two routers on the network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Sometimes it is possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply customers with a modem/router that just won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the device to cooperate, but sometimes it is just easier to put the second router in AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This might help:

Configure WAN Settings on your ZyXEL C1100Z | CenturyLink Internet Help

Message 6 of 9
dougwms
Aspirant

I did a factory reset, then manually entered everything. That has resolved the login pop-ups issue,so I thank you very much for that suggestion. I noticed a few things that reset differently such as Access Control. I still think I want that but for the time being have not re-enabled it. Hopefully that didn't have anything to do with the pop-up login screens. Something new that I hadn't seen previously was in WPS where a setting came up to Enable Router's PIN, and Disable it after 3 failed PIN attempts. I've had the router for 2 years and have never even known about using a PIN, and don't remember it in previous update versions. Should I be making use of it?

I also appreciate the information about my ZyXel DSL modem. I currently have it configured for PPPoE with dynamic IP. It's only hardwired connection is to the AC2600 router and the ZyXel wireless radio is turned off. The AC2600 is the router for all my wireless devices as well as hardwired connections to 2 computers, a printer, and a security camera base station that operates Arlo wireless cameras independently. After reading information in the links provided, I am not sure if maybe my ZyXel DSL modem should be configured as a transparent bridge because I don't seem to be using it for much more than an ISP connection to the outside. The setup has been working for some time but I would make changes if it is currently configured inappropriately. Thanks again for the help.

Message 7 of 9

@dougwms wrote:

I also appreciate the information about my ZyXel DSL modem. I currently have it configured for PPPoE with dynamic IP. It's only hardwired connection is to the AC2600 router and the ZyXel wireless radio is turned off.

Turning off the wifi does not disable the router bit of the ZyXel DSL modem router.

This means that you have that and your R7800 both trying to work as routers on the network. Not a good idea.

If the only thing you want the R7800 to do is to be a wifi source, then putting it into AP mode (see the manual) would work. But if you want to use the various router features of this router, which are almost certainly better than those on the ZyXel router, then you should put that into modem only mode.

The details of "Transparent Bridging" aren't clear to me. ("Bridging" is one of those terms that gets used in different ways, to describe a Wireless Distribution System, for example.) I would try it and see if it works. You can always revert if things go haywire.

This old message might help:

Nighthawk R7000 bridging help with CenturyLink ZyX... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 8 of 9
dougwms
Aspirant

Thanks again for all the help. I have resolved my original issue by following the suggestions provided here for factory reset, manual configuration, and a less complicated password. I have since learned that my R7800 and ZyXel C1100z are not properly configured. I have gone to the links provided by michaelkenward and realize that I need to make setup changes in order to maximize the capabilities of my R7800. I will do my best to configure the changes, but also realize that's a different problem than my original one and there are good resources for that elsewhere in this forum. So I am going to post this and then indicate that this problem has been solved - thanks.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7