• 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Star

R7800 losing config on restsrt

I've had the r7800 since December. In the past week it's not been able to retain custom settings when i restart (not reset). I've done the factory reset, I've down graded, upgraded firmware several times. Any suggestions?
Jim
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted

Re: R7800 losing config on restsrt

Which firmware versions have you tried?

V1.0.2.68 works fine here.

What custom settings go missing?

There have been a few similar reports, but they are not universal. That makes it hard to track down what is going on.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Prodigy

Besides above, why are you power cycling the router? Once configured it should just run without power cycle. My non Netgear router will be up until a new firmware comes out. 

Modem CM1150V
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted

@labatt wrote:

Besides above, why are you power cycling the router? Once configured it should just run without power cycle.

Good point.

Over the past couple of days, I have been messing around with the mains wiring. Tidying things up.

This meant several router reboots. Sailed through them without trouble. All settings retained.

But like @labatt my stuff usually stays on for months on end.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Star

Hi, 

I downgraded to .40 and I was pretty confident that I was able to restart the router and it maintained customization. Customization in my case is the admin password and the ssid's for both radios and the passprases. I got a little nervous yesterday about the risks of staying on the lower versions so I am now at .68.  I have done a reset at one point but I see there is a more intricate one that I will try next (hold reset 30 seconds, unplug 30 holding reset seconds, plug in and hold reset 30 seconds). I agree that I should not have to restart the router but, when it lost its marbles last week I had a very frantic wife calling because of all the work from homer's :-) so we were triaging over the phone. 

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Star

Hi, I am just adding more information. 

- held the reset button 30 seconds, while holding unplugged for 30 seconds, while holding plugged it in and waited 30 seconds. As expected I was at the default settings on the most recent (.68) firmware. 

- completed the router setup 

- made password only changes for admin

backed up settings 

- restarted the router from the admin page. 

- completed router setup (no to both questions), password.... (made new password up) 

- selected restore config, asked for password but it took the old password (not the one I just made up). 

- went throough restore 

- completed router setup (no to both questions), password.... (used the old password this time) 

- made changes to ssid, passphrase, dns servers 

- saved config 

- restart

- completed router setup (no to both questions), password.... (kept original and retyped it) 

- selected restore config, asked for password but it took the old password (not the one I just made up). 

- went through restore 

- completed router setup (no to both questions), password.... (used the old password this time) 

- router did not restore the config. 

- i re-configured and will leave it because the router does not ingest the config file. The router does not retain its settings on reboot. 

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Master

30-30-30 reset has no effect on ARM-based routers. It's a relic of the past still many think it works. My suspecion is that you have a busted NVRAM flash chip. As it is still under warranty, I suggest you RMA it

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.78SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400
Message 7 of 7