Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 on Virgin Hub3.0 causing SSL Protocol Errors

Pagliacci
Tutor

R7800 on Virgin Hub3.0 causing SSL Protocol Errors

I'd like to draw the Netgear community's attention to this thread on the Virgin Media help forum.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/ERR-SSL-PROTOCOL-ERROR-viewing-my-own-websi...

I describe a problem with SSL Protocol Errors being generated when using a Netgear R7800 (Nighthawk X4S) connected to a Virgin Hub 3.0 (and also Hub 2ac) which has been placed in modem-only mode.

The SSL errors happen in a very specific scenario. I am serving a website from my Virgin IP address and the R7800 router is working fine with the port forwarding and I'm getting the same throughput I did with the VM Hub acting alone in router mode.

However, when I view my own website from the same IP address at Virgin Media that it is being served from, SSL errors are being generated especially on JPGs. In Google Chrome, "ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR" and in Firefox "SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_READ".

If I put entries into Windows Host File pointing to my local internal server address 192.168.0.* then the errors go away.

So is this a bug in the Netgear firmware or in the VM Hub 3.0 firmware? Or a known restriction in using third party routers in conjunction with VM Hubs?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Pagliacci
Tutor

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Pagliacci
Tutor

Well, amazed that nobody has attempted a response to this.

I would have thought the fact the Nighthawk X4S R7800 supports NAT Loopback suggests a bug in the firmware, because the scenario I describe ought to work.

The suggestion on Virgin Media's forum was that NAT Loopback was the culprit.

Any takers?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3
Pagliacci
Tutor

Please refer to this thread for the latest:-

R7800 X4S NAT loopback bug introduced in v1.0.2.60 firmware

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies