R7800 poor wifi 5Ghz performance across clients

josephma2
Aspirant

R7800 poor wifi 5Ghz performance across clients

Hello, new user of an R7800 router. I bought this one as it was one of the most recommended routers for a home network with not so many clients.

Nevetherless i'm seeing too bad performance over wifi 5ghz when testing connection between clients connected to the same wifi. I'm currently on stock R7800-V1.0.2.52 firmware, as i read firmwares above that one had problems with wifi, but also tried R7800-V1.0.2.62 and the last one R7800-V1.0.2.68

The thing is when testing speed across clients connected to the 5Ghz network, i see i think a very bad performance.

Currently i'm doing the tests with iperf3, with both clients next to the router, so is not an issue with walls or something like that.

Speeds are around 16.0 MBytes / 134 Mbits/sec. Isn't that too low?

Because of this problems, copying for example files over wifi across clients is really slow.

Besides trying different firmware versions, i also tried resetting and starting setup from scratch a few times just in case, with no change. I tried setting different channels but there although there aren't neighbors with 5Ghz near me. Of course i tried with different laptops as clients.

Read that i should check if WMM is enabled, but it is.

Issues seems to be only connection between clients on the network, and not direct downloads from the internet, although my internet connection is capped at 100 Mbits, so is lower than the limit i'm reaching with iperf3.

Anyone has some recommendation i could test?

Thanks in advance

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: R7800 poor wifi 5Ghz performance across clients

@josephma2 wrote:

I'm currently on stock R7800-V1.0.2.52 firmware, as i read firmwares above that one had problems with wifi, but also tried R7800-V1.0.2.62 and the last one R7800-V1.0.2.68

V1.0.2.68  is fine here.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is, if there is one, in front of this router. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 6
josephma2
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@josephma2 wrote:

I'm currently on stock R7800-V1.0.2.52 firmware, as i read firmwares above that one had problems with wifi, but also tried R7800-V1.0.2.62 and the last one R7800-V1.0.2.68

V1.0.2.68  is fine here.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is, if there is one, in front of this router. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Hello @michaelkenward ! Thanks for your answer.

Well yes there is a modem/router Sagecom F@st 3890, but is configured in bridge mode, and is the R7800 how initiates the connections to the internet. I'm not sure though how that can be a problem, cause i explained before, i don't have any problem downloading/uploading from wifi clients to the internet, is the speed across wifi client on the same network that seems too slow (for example for copying files between them), altough clients being next to the router.

Can you tell me a little bit how the modem in bridge mode could affect this? I don't have that much experience with these type of problems.

And by the way i also tried setting one of the clients wired and the other wireless, and in that case. the speed improve but far from expected (again both next to the router), having an average of 30.8 MBytes / 258 Mbits/sec.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
pec967
Luminary

My R7800 is running firmware version 1.0.2.62. I have a 1 Gbps down and 50 Mbps up service from my ISP. Using the Speedtest.net app to my local ISP at 6:00 am when traffic is light, and either an iPhone 8 or a Dell XPS 13 (late 2017 model), I measure 650 Mbps down at a distance of 10 ft. line-of-sight from the R7800. On a wired connection to the R7800, I measure 920 Mbps down.

Running both the iperf client and server on the same Wi-Fi network will cut the throughput in half, at least. This is because the packets have to be sent from the iperf client to the R7800 and then the R7800 sends the packets to the iperf server. Your throughput using one station wired and the other on Wi-Fi is still much smaller than what I report above. By default, iperf uses a single TCP stream, but Speedtest.net uses multiple TCP streams. What kind of throughput do you get with four or six streams (e.g., -P 4 for the iperf client)? If the throughput is not similar to what I report above (my prediction is that it will be a little bit higher but it will not be 650 Mbps), below are things I would try.

Are all your Wi-Fi interfaces 802.11 ac with two streams? Are you sure you are connected to 5 GHz Wi-Fi? My advice is to use separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5 GHz to make sure you are on 5 GHz. Is the R7800 set for 80 MHz channel width? I would not use the DFS channels as the power is limited to 250 mW rather than 1 W. Turn off QoS. Having been burned a couple of times, I always reset the R7800 to factory default after a firmware update and then configure manually. I would run the throughput test after a factory reset and having made the minimal number of changes to the router default configuration.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 4 of 6
josephma2
Aspirant

@pec967 wrote:

My R7800 is running firmware version 1.0.2.62. I have a 1 Gbps down and 50 Mbps up service from my ISP. Using the Speedtest.net app to my local ISP at 6:00 am when traffic is light, and either an iPhone 8 or a Dell XPS 13 (late 2017 model), I measure 650 Mbps down at a distance of 10 ft. line-of-sight from the R7800. On a wired connection to the R7800, I measure 920 Mbps down.

Running both the iperf client and server on the same Wi-Fi network will cut the throughput in half, at least. This is because the packets have to be sent from the iperf client to the R7800 and then the R7800 sends the packets to the iperf server. Your throughput using one station wired and the other on Wi-Fi is still much smaller than what I report above. By default, iperf uses a single TCP stream, but Speedtest.net uses multiple TCP streams. What kind of throughput do you get with four or six streams (e.g., -P 4 for the iperf client)? If the throughput is not similar to what I report above (my prediction is that it will be a little bit higher but it will not be 650 Mbps), below are things I would try.

Are all your Wi-Fi interfaces 802.11 ac with two streams? Are you sure you are connected to 5 GHz Wi-Fi? My advice is to use separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5 GHz to make sure you are on 5 GHz. Is the R7800 set for 80 MHz channel width? I would not use the DFS channels as the power is limited to 250 mW rather than 1 W. Turn off QoS. Having been burned a couple of times, I always reset the R7800 to factory default after a firmware update and then configure manually. I would run the throughput test after a factory reset and having made the minimal number of changes to the router default configuration.

Hello! Thanks for your example and answer.

Just to be clear, directly downloading speeds from internet to a client seems to be fine, but i only has 100 Mbps down from my ISP. Is copying files across clients on the same network that seems to slow.

I read that speeds will be cutted when testing with iperf in both wifi clients, is just i think should be much better. Mainly because the same wifi laptop/clients on other network copy files pretty fast across wifi 5 network, for example i carried my clients to work for testing (where the AP are UniFi AP AC ALR) and copying was much much faster.

Didn't know about the P switch, i tried with P 4 and it improves a little bit:

-With iperf being both server and on wifi network i get about 26.2 MBytes / 219 Mbits/sec

-With iperf server wired to R7800 and iperf client on wifi i get about 47.5 MBytes / 398 Mbits/sec.

My wifi client/laptops have Intel AC 8265 and Intel 9560 so i think they are two streams, i suppose i don't have to configure anything special on them because if not i shouldn't get better speeds on my work wifi.

Yes i always use different names on wifi 2.4 and 5, so i'm sure i'm connected to 5Ghz. The 5Ghz network is on channel 153 (i tried with others but no difference at all) and mode "Up to 1733". QOS and Smart connect are off.

I also tried the factory reset a couple of times, in fact now is running after a reset, just with the network changes renamed so i have 2.4 and 5 with different SSID.

I must be honest that I was having the same slow copy issues on my wifi client with a Linksys WRT3200ACM and after fighting a lot setting different channels, testing different firmwares, etc i just gave up because i thought i have a faulty unit. So decide to go which the R7800 that was the most recommended router on the dd-wrt forum, but unluckily issue is still present (although speeds are better than with the linksys) and i can't believe i also get a faulty R7800, i just think i'm doing or configuring something wrong but i'm not sure what.

Thanks in advance

Message 5 of 6
josephma2
Aspirant

I'll greatly appreciate any extra tipo for trying to help this!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E