Re: R7800 Resetting to Default Config

Re: R7800: router keeps resetting to default configurations.

@mauriziof wrote:

...I restore it after the completing successfully update. 

This can be a very bad idea. Restoring saved settings can bring problems back from the dead.

If you restore settings and continue to experience issues, reset and reconfigure from scratch without restoring the settings.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 26 of 82
tegregg
Aspirant

Im also getting this same issue.  Whenever my 7800 reboots (due to a power outage or any other reason) it resets all of my static addresses, resets the wifi SSID and password, plus the login password.  It boots up at the setup screen asking for the country I am in etc to set up the connection.  I have had the router for a couple of years and has been fine until the last few months.  Close to dumping this and going for something different.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 27 of 82
gg54
Aspirant

Hi!

For your information.
As mentioned earlier in this thread I got this "power outage reset problem" very frequently with firmware 1.0.2.46 no matter what I did.
I had to go back to 1.0.2.40.
I am now at 1.0.2.52 and I have no reset issues what so ever Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 82
Digitalgoth
Aspirant

I had this same issue after updating from 1.0.3.38 to 1.0.3.40 on my r7500v2. I downgraded back to .38 and have been just fine ever since.  Incidentally, upgrading to .40 also broke the functionality of seeing bandwidth usage of attached devices, so maybe just a bad firmware flahs... But .38 seems to work perfectly.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 29 of 82
Uandl1973
Aspirant

Re: R8000p

Every time I unplug it it resets back to factory settings
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 30 of 82

Re: R8000p

@Uandl1973 wrote:
Every time I unplug it it resets back to factory settings

Have you checked the earlier messages in this discussion?

They describe various things that you can try.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 31 of 82
azolivas
Aspirant

Last night my netgear r7000 router reset it self to the default factory settings. First time this has happened since 2013.
Message 32 of 82
Texas47
Star

New router, a week old.  R7800 X4S firmware V1.0.2.68, Comcast internet, Motorola Surfboard modem, battery backup.  Any power cycle of the router resets the router to its default settings, including password and security questions.  Loading a saved config also resets the router to its default.  I have port forwarding and static routes, so it's very frustrating to have to reconfigure manually. 

I have tried several attempts at trouble shooting including starting from scratch.  Every restart brings me back to the factory default.  I went so far as to do a hard reset (paper clip on the reset button)  changed the passsword, set up security questions.  Everything worked fine.  I backed up that config, with no more changes, as MY default.  I then renamed the SSIDs.  When I attempted to restore my simple backup, surprise!  The router reset to its default, requiring me to change the password and set up security questions.  I have made other successful configuration changes and created several config backups.  Every attempt to restore ANY of the saved configs resets the router to the factory default.

Some odd things I've noticed-traffic meter shows zeros after enabling, even with extensive traffic. Access restrictions do not let me "allow" or "block" a device from the browser interface.  I can change access restrictions on the app a few times, then I get a failed attempt with a message to "try again later."  When I get that message, I power cycle and BAM-back to the default.  The time change seems to have an effect on any Netgear router I've had (which is what brought me from the R7400 X4 to the R7800 X4S.) Manual configuration seems to work fine.  Backup settings saves a config.  The router performance is great.  The features and controls are wonderful.  But it is NOT reliable.  If I am not at the router's location when something happens, I cannot fix it.

The factory reset on power cycle has happened on all of the five Netgera routers I've had, at one time or another.  I took that as a sign to upgrade the router.  Any other suggestions before I jump brands? I'm beyond frustrated.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 33 of 82

@Texas47 wrote:

New router, a week old. 

Return it to the supplier for a replacement. The R7800 is seen by many as the most reliable router in Netgear's range.

@Texas47 wrote:

R7800 X4S firmware V1.0.2.68

The newest. Have you tried an earlier version? Or even reflashing this one?

@Texas47 wrote:

The factory reset on power cycle has happened on all of the five Netgera routers I've had, at one time or another. 

I have never seen this, nor has there been anything in the say of a reasoned response from Netgear.

Did you try the "recovery reset":

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

Just another user.

Message 34 of 82
Texas47
Star

I tried a few earlier firmware versions that were identified by others as OK (40, 52) as well as reflashing the current.  No difference.

I have not tried the recovery reset, will do that and see what happens.

Netgear routers resetting to default seems to be a common discussion; haven't seen much of anything directly from Netgear.  I landed here looking for solutions, thought since there were a couple recent replies it might be a good place to start.

Thank you for the reply, I will try Netgear direct support as well, since I'm in the 90 day window for that.

Message 35 of 82
pec967
Luminary

There have been reports of the "resets to factory defaults" after a power failure or power off/on going back to 2018. It has never happend to me, but I have the R7800 connected to a UPS. I ran without a reboot of the R7800 on firmware version 1.0.2.62 for one year. I updated to version 1.0.2.68 a couple of weeks ago because of the security advisory. My advice would be to put it on a UPS, do not power it off/on, and see what happens.

Message 36 of 82
Texas47
Star

I'm on a UPS for that very reason. Typically something quits working that requires a power cycle-like allowing a new device.  The power cycle then resets to default config.

Message 37 of 82
undeadhaggis
Aspirant

I am having this same issue with the Nighthawk® AX12 RAX120 where I'm constantly having to restart the router when it loses Internet connection (wired devices still remain on the Internet, but all devices connecting via WiFi lose Internet connection).  I normally have to reset the router about once per hour and around 2-3 times a day it somehow resets to factory default settings and I have to restore a backup of my settings.

Is there any way for computer viruses to be attacking the router causing it to freak out?

My current firmware version on the Nighthawk® AX12 RAX120 is V1.0.1.114

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 38 of 82
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Undeadhaggis

You may want to create a new thread in the RAX community board.\

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif...

DarrenM

Message 39 of 82
Alaptimusprime
Aspirant

This happened to me last night.  The router went back to factory settings with no apparent power loss.  It would reset back to factory after I tried to resolve a WAN IP or if I rebooted after changing the WIFI settings.  I relfashed to 1.0.2.60 and this fixed it for me. 

Message 40 of 82
Texas47
Star

I am on a UPS, so the power cycle thing only occurs if I cycle the power.  My bigger issue is that I have yet to successfully backup and restore even the simplest config.  Any restore attempt resets the router to its default, requiring a 45 minute or so manual reconfiguration.  Using firmware .62 per Netgear tech support suggestion.  Issue is still open.

Message 41 of 82
James721
Luminary

@Texas47 wrote:

I am on a UPS, so the power cycle thing only occurs if I cycle the power.  My bigger issue is that I have yet to successfully backup and restore even the simplest config.  Any restore attempt resets the router to its default, requiring a 45 minute or so manual reconfiguration.  Using firmware .62 per Netgear tech support suggestion.  Issue is still open.

It's a little more the concerning that Netgear would recommend a older firmware that is full of security issues some are severe. Glad i dumped Netgear. 

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin. 386.2
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 42 of 82
J2793s
Star

Last week, 3/24 my router reverted to factory settings, I did not look to see if it was related to a reboot. I do know that the router will not "take" a saved config file. I do know that if I shut it down either hard by removing power, or through the router interface restart, it will not keep my settings and it will revert to netgear stock. I'm then taken through the whole admin password steps. I am hoping the netgear dev's figure out the issue and hot-fix it.

Message 43 of 82
Texas47
Star

Alaptimusprime,

Do you know if firmware .60  allows successful backup and restore of a config, or just that it resolves the "reset to default" issue?  (I'm currently at .62 per Netgear's tech support)

Message 44 of 82

@Texas47 wrote:

Alaptimusprime,

Do you know if firmware .60  allows successful backup and restore of a config, or just that it resolves the "reset to default" issue?  (I'm currently at .62 per Netgear's tech support)

They all do, but restoring a bust config file may well bring bugs back to life.

Just another user.

Message 45 of 82
Texas47
Star

MICHAELKENWARD,

"Successful" is the key word here.  While all firmware versions "should" allow restore and back up configurations, .62 and the latest firmware have both failed on my router when attempting to restore from a fresh, simple backup.  The result is resetting to the factory default configuration.  So far tech support has not been much help-do a factory reset and reflash the firmware. A simple, fresh config backup from the reset and reflash, with ONLY password and security questions, fails.

Still waiting on their latest reply to my support case.  

Message 46 of 82
chekleto
Guide

I have the same issue. Multiple times - I'm on my 3rd R7800 and it just went bad. All of them ended up resetting themselves to first-time installation wizard on reboot or attempt to restore the settings from a backup. When it happened for the first time to me I did all that game with the firmware downgrade, resets, etc. Including doing it with the guidance of the Netgear support. Each time the conclusion was HARDWARE issue. After I get a new replacement and intentionally try all the same test - no issue at all - for months. And then again. It starts gradually and makes you think it is "a problem with the new firmware ", but after few test you end up with spontaneous factory resets every time you reboot or attempt to restore settings from a backup.

You will get new replacement form Netgear while in the 1-year Hardware Warranty. After that - good luck to you.

Message 47 of 82
Texas47
Star

I'm waiting on my first warranty replacement for "hardware issue."  I will do some extensive testing when it gets here.  If it fails, it goes back and I request a return to Amazon on the original.  I'm already looking at other brands.  I need something that handles 30 or more devices at a time, allows port forwarding and IP reservation, handles a large house, and gives me a safety net with SUCCESSFUL configuration backup and restore.  Not the first Netgear device I've had this issue on.  D-link, Asus are on the short list.

Message 48 of 82
bOLEMO
Aspirant

Same exact problem here.

R7800 few months old.

Last days, traffic meter started to show zeros.

Yesterday, after a restart, all to factory reset. Was able to restore from old backup file.

Today, I disabled the Traffic Meter, restarted... all was factory reset again. Tried to restore from same backup file as yesterday -> factory reset.

Took me forever to set everything up manually.

Can't restart or even restore from any backup until the problem is identified and fixed.

Message 49 of 82
J2793s
Star

Seems that the concensus is to apply for an RMA because it's a hardware issue. I rarely have seen hardware issues in routers, must just be lucky.
Message 50 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements