Re: R7800 Resetting to Default Config

bOLEMO
Aspirant

Just launched the procedure with Netgear... We will see what they say.

Meanwhile, it would be nice to understand what the problem is: faulty memory chip?

Understang might help to prevent it at least.

I would like to avoid for that to happen again...

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 51 of 82
J2793s
Star

I'll be eager to see what happens with yours. Mine is not under warranty (must have been returned in a new box). It wasn't cheap. I can get better quality than this at a much lower price point and not feel bad about throwing it in the bin when I am tired of it. 

Message 52 of 82
bOLEMO
Aspirant

So RMA approved. Should receive the replacement one Tuesday then I send the faulty one back. No much questions asked from them, so most likely a known problem internally.

It is probably the MTD flash memory that gets corrupted over time, a known problem with SD memory, but the ones used in some NG routers must be really of poor quality... Mine was manufactured not even a year ago and I bought it new in January.

To préserve as much the flash memory, it is important to avoid traffic metering, multimedia server, downloader, readyCloud...

Message 53 of 82
Texas47
Star

My replacement arrived Wednesday.  So far, so good, cautiously optimistic.  Came with firmware version 1.0.2.46.  I upgraded to 62.  That's as far as I'm prepared to go at this point.

If it IS the poor quality flash memory, and the solution is to avoid using features avertised by the manufacturer, that's bad on their part. But regarding "getting corrupt over time," my bad router started exibiting the issues on day two. So it seems there's more to it than that.

Message 54 of 82
chekleto
Guide

I had a chat with the Netgear support. My third R7800 failed just 2 weeks out of the 1 year warranty so they have no intention to keep replacing the routers because of this design flow. They are fully aware of the problem, but will not adress the issue after the warranty. They do not have problem replacing the router as many times as needed during the warranty, but once you get "lucky" with one that can exceed the waranty perioud - game over. Looks like Netgear is using some cheep parts that crap out much faster than they should. My routers were always upgraded due to being obsolated technology, which is minimum of 5 years. On average the lifespan of R7800 is about half year - based on my experience with the 3 R7800s I had. One could hope that they fixed the issue in the later iterations, but that was not the case with all the new-replacements they sent me. So they are still selling a defective router.

Message 55 of 82
Texas47
Star

Well, that is unsettling news.  So it sounds like they know they have a problem, but also have some residual inventory.  As long as you're in the warranty period, bam-replacement.  Once inventory is depleted, they'll have to take another approach.  Until then, diagnose it as "hardware issue" and use up that residual inventory.

As for me, I bought mine on Amazon.  They just extended my return request period from April 8 to May 15.  That gives Netgear a stay of execution in my mind.  If this thing glitches once before then (or maybe even if it doesn't) I'm done.  I suppose many users don't use customized settings, and they see no issues.  I have advanced configurations and need to rely on the router functioning as designed when I am at a remote location.

Interesting note, in my case.  I've had similar issues with my four previous Netgear routers, but never under warranty.  N300 failed in 2012, replaced by N750.  N750 failed in 2015, replaced by N900.  That one started having issues late in 2017, replaced by X4 R7500v2.  The X4 started having issues early this year and was replaced by the X4S, which started having issues TWO DAYS into ownership.  And that's a shame.  Netgear used to be quality product.  I have lost confidence in them.

Thanks to everyone for your comments on this subject.

Message 56 of 82
chekleto
Guide

I see the same complaint for R8000 and R9000 routers in this forum.

Looks like it is wide spred problem with their high-end routers. This is realy messed up - who puts low quality componets in their flagship products?

Message 57 of 82
J2793s
Star

It's difficult to know the failure rate based on this forum. Mines not covered because I'm not there original owner, even though it's less than a year old. I'm not coming back to this brand again though.
Message 58 of 82
J2793s
Star

Mine is less than a year old but I'm not the original owner so I'm out of luck. They probably sell a lot of these, and you can bet they are not going to risk consumer action by sharing the failure rates.
Message 59 of 82
pec967
Luminary

I have never experienced this problem, although I have seen it reported in this forum periodically for the last three years. While I do not doubt that some of these could indeed be hardware problems, my hypothesis is that enabling certain features of the router results in this behavior. My recommendation would be to try a very simple configuration, and then configure features one at a time over several weeks until you encounter the reset to default after power failure or power cycle.

My R7800 configuration that does not experience this problem (either with firmware versions 1.0.2.62 or 1.0.2.68) has the following changes from the factory default settings: (1) changed the default Wi-Fi settings (channels, SSID, bandwidth), (2) added a handful of DHCP reservations, (3) Disabled WPS Pin, and (4) Disabled uPnP. Everything else is factory default.

Message 60 of 82

@pec967 wrote:

While I do not doubt that some of these could indeed be hardware problems, my hypothesis is that enabling certain features of the router results in this behavior.

I would add that there is also a possibility of some external influence that is causing some subtle effect. The modem, for example. Is there any commonality there? Likewise the ISP?

Like @pec967 I have had an R7800 running for three years with no sign of problems. Then again, nor did I see any of the issues that people complained about with earlier firmware.

My network is, though, dead simple. Just a 16-port switch of stuff like NAS boxes that is mostly on, alongside various Arlo hubs and an Orbi network and some Powerline plugs.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 61 of 82
J2793s
Star

My isp is spectrum. Not sure how the isp or there router could impact Netgear from saving a config or (more likely) restoring the backup. I have disabled all the extra features in the router and I'll test out a reboot tonight. I hope it's that simple.
Message 62 of 82

@J2793s wrote:
My isp is spectrum. Not sure how the isp or there router could impact Netgear from saving a config or (more likely) restoring the backup.

I agree, but when trying to troubleshoot any issue it helps to look for common features.

Does it coincide with the phases of the Moon? Today could be interesting.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 63 of 82
J2793s
Star

Hahaha! Good one. They might want you on tech support thinking it of the box like that!
Message 64 of 82
chekleto
Guide

Interesting reading on the problem here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-will-no-longer-save-settings-after-reboot.62773/

Seem like the faulty part is $3-4 flash memory. Earlier models had reputable brands like Micron, but the later are using Macronix MX30UF1G18AC. I check my failed router - it has the Macronix chip.

If you google "Macronix MX30UF1G18AC" - it says the newer netgear routers like AX40 are using the same inferior chip - wow

Message 65 of 82
James721
Luminary

That is just another huge blunder by Netgear. Any decent Nvram chip should have a flash life of at least 80.000 to 100.000 writes. If what you say is true there needs to be a recall and money refunded. 

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin. 386.2
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 66 of 82
J2793s
Star

It's truly a shame that the PC publications don't follow up with their ratings. I bought in to the whole idea that Netgear was going to be quality buy. My decision was influenced by the ratings of the PC magazines and on-line reviewers strong endorsement. If they were to keep their evaluation devices for at least the warranty period, they might provide customers a real value. You see this kind of long term review in the automotive industry. I'll stick to the lower cost models and plan on throwing it away when it fails from here on out. 

Message 67 of 82
Texas47
Star

Just a follow up on my issue.  My warranty replacement worked fine for about a week, then started exhibiting some strange behavior like the last one.  Log time was randomly incorrect, could not allow new devices in access control, etc.  I returned it to Amazon and bought an ASUS RT-AC86U. Flawless configuration (assigned IP addresses, port routing, logging) and function so far.  Coverage is good, speed is good, browser and mobile app utilities are easy to use.  Sorry Netgear, you're just not reliable anymore.  I need a router that can run without babysitting.

Message 68 of 82
J2793s
Star

HI, 

I have moved on to a new router after this fiasco but I tried an experiment today and wanted to share it to anyone with one of these boat anchors (kinda light for that job so "paper weight" is probably more appropriate). I opened up my r8700, took off the shielding, found the chip and held some pressure on it while heating it with a butane torch ($1.00 from Menards). I plugged it all in and confiured it. I was able to re-boot several times and it retained the settings. I am going to put it in to service tonight. I'll update this thread one way or the other. 

Jim 

Message 69 of 82
Texas47
Star

Well that IS interesting.  Cold/bad solder joint?  Keep us posted.  While I sent mine back, I still have an X4 that did the same thing out of warranty.  Maybe I can revive it.  Thanks for posting!

Message 70 of 82
J2793s
Star

Good Evening,

It's been a week since I "torched" the flash memory chip on the underside of my r7800 and it has been rock solid. I have rebooted it several times and it holds my config (passwords, wifi names, reserved ip's). I have backed up and restored configs. Try it at your own risk, but I had nothing to lose. 

Jim

Message 71 of 82
Texas47
Star

Good to know.  Definitely sounds like a colds solder joint.  Hope Netgear is listening!

Message 72 of 82
NAS365
Aspirant

Re: R7800: router keeps resetting to default configurations.

My R7800 has just started resetting itslf to default factory settings overnight? Ok when you go to bed, wake up in the morning and the router wants to be setup for the first time. Frustrating to have to reset everything luckily I can restore from backup bur if I was away all our security cameras would be off and nothing i could do remotely. I need a fix please.

Router running latest firmware v1.0.2.68 model Nighthawk X4s R7800

Please advise

Message 73 of 82
J2793s
Star

If it's under warranty, get an RMA number and return it for a replacement.
Message 74 of 82
ftrentini
Aspirant

For those who still have this annoying problem: I found a solution. Finally.

Disclaimer (and a little story telling): I am a electronic technician. I did things not very easy for those who not have soldering and electronic experience. If you don't have electronic knowledge, don't waste your time reading this. Do it on your own risk!!

I have this netgear router since forever. Never had any trouble. But never really loved it either. Two days ago, I had a power outage at my place. Then, the internet was gone. When I checked, my router was resetted. I redid the configuration, and I don't know why, I rebooted. Then, it resetted again. And again, over and over. Tried everything. Even to update firmware, downgrade, everything everybody had this problem did. Start searching all forums about this issue, bumped in the "RMA solution", which is not a real solution for me, after all, I bought this router in 2017, I guess. So I decide to figure out what really happened, since apparently nobody came with a real solution so far.

And I discovered. It is a NAND BAD BLOCK issue at one of mtd persistent partitions. And I fixed. Even better, I use the things I had to do to diagnose the router, to improve it, uploading a third party firmware. 

So, if you just want try to fix it (again, on your own risk), the following steps worked for me.

1: Disassembly and find the UART connection pins. Solder 3 pins (tx, rx, gnd). A little research would be useful, since this pins positions change a lot from model to model.

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/uart_pins.jpg 

2. Connect a USB-SERIAL adapter. Mine worked @57600 baud rate. I used putty to see the raw data. Remember, it's UART, not RS-232.

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/uart_usb-serial.jpg 

3. I found a debug menu. In my case, to enter the debug console, I pressed 4. 

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/debug_mode.jpg

4. After that, using help command, I found sc_nand command, which showed me that it have an bad block @ some address. 

Now the tricky part: I unsoldered the and chip and I made a full backup of the entire chip, to prevent bricking. 

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/nand-prog.jpg

It's a MX30LF1G18AC chip, in my case, and according to the datasheet (https://www.macronix.com/Lists/Datasheet/Attachments/6855/MX30LF1G18AC,%203V,%201Gb,%20v1.2.pdf )

it have a page size of 2048 byte plus 64 ecc byte, and each block is 128Kb plus 4Kb of ecc. The bad block bit info is registered somewhere in the non-data addresses located at the bottom of each block. Yeah, I know,. I may have to buy a be chip, if the bad block is for real. Or try to revert this bit to 0 hoping that it came there by a mistake caused by the power outage. Worth a shot.

---------

Tip for those who's gonna try to unsolder: There are 3 very tiny resistors and 1 capacitor, almost invisible that you should take a real care of. I use to take a picture before unsoldering and after, just to make sure nothing is missing. But, this time, 2 resistors were missing. I had to dig on the datasheet to know the values, and the resistors I had here at my lab, even being very tiny, were too big to fit perfectly. So, be careful. Really careful. And measure the resistors before start unsoldering.

---------

Then I put the chip back on the board, start the debug and I used the command sc_nand b to find where the bad block were located. Then I used the command sc_nand clearbad 0x0address to try to clear the bad block. And it worked.

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/sc_nand.jpg

After that, I rebooted the router, and I was able to save again my configs. But, I decided to upload a openwrt firmware to test, and I liked the result, A LOT. So I used all the UART mods I had to do to fix the router to upload a new fw. First, I did without erasing the original firmware, using the commands tftp and boot on the debug console, to make sure everything work properly.

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/boot_tftp.jpg

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/boot_tftp2.jpg

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/boot_tftp3.jpg

Then, after verify everything went good, I use the debug menu to send it permanently to the flash.  And now I'm loving my router. But it's me. Maybe it's not a good idea for everyone.

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/save_nand.jpg

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/save_nand1.jpg

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/openwrt_console.jpg

And now I have my router back to life. Improved, in my point of view. 

http://www.electrolab.com.br/netgear/openwrt_web.jpg

I hope it helps someone. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 75 of 82
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements