Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 very slow 2.4 WiFi and both wifi and wired loses Internet connectivity after 30 minutes

Peter_Johnson
Follower

R7800 very slow 2.4 WiFi and both wifi and wired loses Internet connectivity after 30 minutes

This router is about 30 months old.  It is protected by a UPS with surge suppression.  Recently the router has been slowing down especially on 2.4 GHz where the DL speed is less than 50 Kbs instead of 30 or so Mbs.  Due to the slow speed many times even SpeedTest.Net will not work.  Using a Fluke AirCheck Wifi analyzer I found that ch 1 has less traffic then ch 6 or 11, so I switched to ch 1.  No change in DL speed.  I updated the firmware to the latest version twice - still no change in DL speed.  I tried using the other ten US channels and auto select for 2.4GHz and found no change in speed. In addition, the router also loses both wired and Wifi connectivity after about 30 - 45 minutes.  Power cycling the router restores connectivity, but at the same horribly slow speeds.  Even power cycling the modem then the router does not change the 2.4 DL speed.   I need to use 2.4 GHz as many devices will not work on 5 GHz.

I have another Netgear router (R6400V2) that I temporarily put in service and found that it operates at the same location with the same modem as the R7800, and it runs at 70 Mbs down and 30 up on 2.4 GHz.  On 5 GHz this router works at 110 Mbs down and 30 up.  I did this test to confirm that the R7800 was failing and it was not the modem.  A direct connection to the modem from my test computer allows for 120 Mbs down and 35 up.  This R7800 is truly failing.  I am disappointed that it failed after such a relatively short period of time.

I called Netgear Tech Support and was advised that the unit is out of warranty as it only comes with a 90-day warranty.  I asked if they offer out of warranty hardware service on this unit and was told by Tech Support they do not.  I asked to speak with management as the tech support person did not understand English very well, and it was difficult to communicate with this agent.  The agent said that Netgear management does not speak with customers.  I let her know my displeasure and assured her that I would spread the word of poor customer service from Netgear, and would no longer use nor recommend buying their products after this experience.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.  It seems foolish to add to the garbage dump another piece of electronic equipment that should have worked for a longer period of time!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 3
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7800 very slow 2.4 WiFi and both wifi and wired loses Internet connectivity after 30 minutes

I am going to send you over to Small Net Builders forums to do some research on Voxel firmware for Netgear routers.  You have the X4S and that is important.  Here is the link:  SNB Forums 

You can find the Voxel firmware for your X4S here:  Voxel 

The Voxel firmware is a "tuned and polished" version of the Netgear firmware.

You owe it to yourself to try it out before you dispose of your router.  Most likely there is nothing wrong with the router, the problem is the firmware.

Take care when you update the firmware.  Disconnect all other devices from the router except for the computer you are performing the update from that is connected via ethernet cable.  In particular remove the ethernet connection to the modem and all USB or eSATA connected devices.  Once your router has been updated it will reboot, wait for ten or fifteen minutes and pull the power plug.  Then plug it back in and allow it to start up and settle for a few minutes before starting your configuration and restoring your other connections.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: R7800 very slow 2.4 WiFi and both wifi and wired loses Internet connectivity after 30 minutes

What I'd try doing is install version 1.0.2.68 of the firmware over a hardwired connection. Then factory reset the router and do a clean install. By clean, I mean, don't use a backup configuration. And disable auto-update.  Try this first. 

If you want to experiment with 3rd party firmware, fell free to. voxel's is pretty solid but there's always the chance of bricking the device. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7