R7800 vs R7000 on my gigabit connection.

cdysthe
Luminary

R7800 vs R7000 on my gigabit connection.

Hi,

I've had a R7000 for a long time and it's been the best router I've ever owned, especially after the firmware matured. My internet connection over a Netgear CM1000 was updated to 1 gigabit and the R7000 just couldn't give me the speed I was expecting. I tried all kinds of tricks like disabling almost everything but no go. The R7000 seemed to struggle and could not keep up.

So I bought a R7800 (and not something newer since I do not want a router with virgin firnware) and put Voxel's firmware on it. I could rave about this router for a long time but that is not what this is about.

What I wonder is if I will see a decrease in speed if I enable things like parental control and traffice meter. Those same features that slowed down the R7000. I could of course test this myself, but I do not like to enable anything since it seems like the only way to get back is a factory rese and start overt. I was hoping not having to do that. 

Currently the R7800 runs pretty barebones and extremely well. Nothing is enabled except for ReadyShare/ReadCloud for my external USB drive, but I wouldn't mind having paretnal controls as long as I do not see a large speed drop. Currently I am consistently well over 900 Mbps but would accept another 100 Mbps drop to get one or more features enabled.

//CD
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

Re: R7800 vs R7000 on my gigabit connection.

> [...] I do not like to enable anything since it seems like the only
> way to get back is a factory rese and start overt. I was hoping not
> having to do that. [...]

Even if there really were some setting which were irreversible, then
why couldn't you save your settings before the change, and restore those
original settings later (after a reset, if you insist)?

Message 2 of 6
cdysthe
Luminary

On the R7000 restoring settings didn't get you all the way back either. Numerous threads outlining this here and on SNB. The only way to really start over was a hard factory reset and start form scratch. I know by experience with the R7000 on a gigabit connection. So now I wonder if this is the case on the R7800 as well.

//CD
Message 3 of 6
microchip8
Master

I can't talk about a 1 Gbps connection since I only have 500 Mbps, but the R7800 is able to provide my full speed even with parental controls on. I don't use QoS so can't say either. Keep in mind that the R7000 is a Broadcom unit while the R7800 is a Qualcomm one with 4-core CPU (2 cores for firmware/applications and 2 cores for packet processing). The R7000 does packet processing for LAN <-> WAN in software (using CTF) while the R7800 does it in hardware - this is a big difference between the two, not to mention that the CPU in the R7800 is (far) more powerful than the one in the R7000

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 4 of 6
cdysthe
Luminary

@microchip8 wrote:

I can't talk about a 1 Gbps connection since I only have 500 Mbps, but the R7800 is able to provide my full speed even with parental controls on. I don't use QoS so can't say either. Keep in mind that the R7000 is a Broadcom unit while the R7800 is a Qualcomm one with 4-core CPU (2 cores for firmware/applications and 2 cores for packet processing). The R7000 does packet processing for LAN <-> WAN in software (using CTF) while the R7800 does it in hardware - this is a big difference between the two, not to mention that the CPU in the R7800 is (far) more powerful than the one in the R7000

Thank you, this was very helpful. I will try with parental controls as see if I can see degredation of speed. Are you using stock firmware? I flashed Voxel's firmware on mine wich supposedly gives some extra push and a few extra features. Otherwise it looks and feels like stock. The fact that the 7800 does more in hardware is very reassuring and when I tried them side by side I got 5 Ghz on ALL devices in my (realively small) house. With the R7000 I only got that on three devices. I'm using Smartconnect which I understand some frown upon. I just do not want to have to explain the difference to famaily and friends who couldn't care less about these things. I'm also not seeing any packet loss on the devices I have measured on. With the R7000 I saw packetloss, although minor, most of the times I measured. I guess this is related to the difference in hardware platform between the two routers? The routers were both driven through a NETGEAR CM1000 modem.

//CD
Message 5 of 6
microchip8
Master

I'm using stock firmware as I don't need the additional features Voxel provides. I'm using my router mostly for routing/switching and am not interested in turning it into a do-it-all device. 

I also don't experience packet loss or ping issues on firmware .58 and it's been very stable for me. I think that the R7000, while capable, is getting a bit outdated on the hardware side. While it can do most things a home requires, if you try to push it for more, it may choke

As for your speed question, the only way to know is to wait for someone who uses a similar setup with a 1 Gbps connection or if you're impatient, try it out yourself 

Personally, I'm on the Qualcomm side of things since they provide, IMHO, better hardware *and* software. On the software side, Qualcomm uses OpenWRT as its SDK which they provide to companies like NETGEAR & co that make home routers. OpenWRT has a robust code and the SDK of Qualcomm is better than the mess of Broadcom. Qualcomm also, currently, is the sole vendor that has MU-MIMO working with very few issues. Broadcom, while improved lately, still is trying to get it right.

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E