Aspirant

R7800 wifi is working but not wired connections

Can 't fined help.  Anyone here?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FCCfirstclass
Aspirant

Re: R7800 wifi is working but not wired connections

Hi Darren.  Sorry for the delay in answering your reply.  Now that I have a keyboard to type on, I can answer you.   I only had my Fire tablet to use yesterday so managed to ask my short question.

I truns out that the problem was a downstream 4 port switch that was causing the router's 4 ports to lose IP service.  I started unplugging the others computers and as soon as the other switch was unplugged, everything worked.  I then cut the power to the switch for 10 minutes, powered up, then replugged the downstream equipment one by one and everything is back to normal.  

Cox has been doing some upgrades to their network and asked customers to reboot their networks a few times over the last few weeks.  I was unsure if they were the problem or if it was our network.  

Again thanks for your help in trying to figure out my problem.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Are you able to give some more detail on the issue? like does the 1-4 lights light up when you plug in the ethernet cords? Have you tried to factory reset the router?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
JoseAndres041
Luminary

1. Connect your computer to Lan port 2.

2. Check if Lan port 2 lights up.

3. If it is, check its IP address. Open command prompt and type in ipconfig.

4. Hit enter and look for IPv4 Address for Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection. Usually the router would give out 192.168.1.x IP address.

5. If the IP address is a valid one, try to ping a website. Go back to Command prompt and type in ping yahoo.com.

6. If you're getting replies then you're connected to the Internet.

7. Open a browser and try access any website.

Message 3 of 8

Kind of short of details. Could be anything.

Not working on what?

A PC?

Operating system?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 4 of 8
FCCfirstclass
Aspirant

Hi Darren.  Sorry for the delay in answering your reply.  Now that I have a keyboard to type on, I can answer you.   I only had my Fire tablet to use yesterday so managed to ask my short question.

I truns out that the problem was a downstream 4 port switch that was causing the router's 4 ports to lose IP service.  I started unplugging the others computers and as soon as the other switch was unplugged, everything worked.  I then cut the power to the switch for 10 minutes, powered up, then replugged the downstream equipment one by one and everything is back to normal.  

Cox has been doing some upgrades to their network and asked customers to reboot their networks a few times over the last few weeks.  I was unsure if they were the problem or if it was our network.  

Again thanks for your help in trying to figure out my problem.

Message 5 of 8
FCCfirstclass
Aspirant

Jose,  please see my reply to Darren.  Thank you.

Message 6 of 8
FCCfirstclass
Aspirant

Michael, please see my reply to Darren.  My lack of a real keyboard did not help the problem.  Thanks for trying to help with your ideas. 

Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the feedback. Glad it worked out. I've marked it as Solved for the benefit of anyone else who turns up seeking help.

Funny how some of the most obvious things can be the answer.

There are so many things that can go wrong that some of us lose sight of the most obvious "reboot the network" moves.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7