Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 wireless clients cannot connect to lan clients

mansus
Aspirant

R7800 wireless clients cannot connect to lan clients

Hello,

I have the latest firmware 1.0.2.04 on R7800 and have an issue where my wifi client cannot access servers on lan on the same router. I found suggestions about firmware resets and turning off the router but that doesn't help. It seems that 50% of the traffic gets blackholed somewhere. LAN-LAN works just fine. WiFi-WiFi works good as well. But WiFi-LAN doesn't want to work.. Any ideas?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 89

Accepted Solutions
mansus
Aspirant

Re: R7800 wireless clients cannot connect to lan clients

@evel I'm using Kong Mod from myopenrouter.com. It's a straightforward process on how to replace the firmware (just look at the latest article). For VLAN tagging, you'll need to create a VLAN on eth0 (default WAN) interface (Setup->Networking) and assign a newly created port as WAN port on the same page. Once you're online - you can easily do the rest (wifi, services, etc). WIFI->LAN works right away.

Thx, Mansus.

View solution in original post

Message 33 of 89

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

None of those are using Guest?

It shouldn't be happening, the only thing to due is reset to defaults and or try another FW

Message 2 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

Nope. None are using guest. Actually I tried guest wifi with enabled option to be able to see other clients but that didn't help either.

Message 3 of 89
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Use Ping to see if you can ping a LAN device from a WIfi

Message 4 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

Can ping no problem but none of the LAN resources are available on any of LAN clients (SMB, HTTP, RDP, etc). Seems to me a bug in a firmware (it was already reported as fixed in one of the previous versions but looks like it's back).

Message 5 of 89
storm1985
Prodigy

are u using the same PC on Wifi to Wifi and Wifi to LAN. Since it works on ping then it should work on other services unless your PC is restricting the inbound traffic/service. 

Message 6 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

@storm1985, thank you for your input. However why would it "should" work? Ping runs over icmp protocol which runs over udp. HTTP, SMB run over TCP/IP. For example, I'm trying to RDP to another PC. And the first phase is successful - e.g. it prompts me for the credentials. However after credentials are entered the connection fails within some seconds with an "internal error has occurred". But accessing the services on the router (e.g. router gui) works just fine. Ergo it does seem like a firmware issue to me.
Message 7 of 89
evel
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.

I have multiple wireless devices that cannot access LAN resources.

I can ping the wired resources but:

1. Cannot access a wired NAS device from wireless devices. Wired can access it fine.

2. Cannot control a wired Roku3 from my android phone over wifi

3. Cannot RDP to my wired desktop from my wifi laptop

Again, ICMP is fine. Anything else will sit and spin until it times out.

It was working fine until I updated to the latest firmware. 1.0.2.04

I also starting using it with a fiber connection and setup a VLAN bridge group.

Message 8 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

@evelI have opened a support case with NETGEAR and they have collected the data. They are going to reproduce the issue in house and hopefully fix it or come up with a recommendation.

Thx, Mansus.

Message 9 of 89
evel
Aspirant

Any luck?

I'm going to open my own case as well.

Message 10 of 89
VE6CGX
Master

Did you set up home group if you are on Windows OS?  Anything user password protected individually? Easiest thing is setting up

home group to share things such as files, pictures, music, etc.

Message 11 of 89
evel
Aspirant

I'm good on the sharing. My shares worked fine until the firmware update and configuring a VLAN ID for CenturyLink fiber.

I cannot access shares, RDP, Roku remote (from an android device), load web admin page or telnet to 80 on my NAS.

I did a wireshark trace while trying to access a share. Now, I am far far from being a pro capture reader, but I get random resets and TCP RTO of 9.3 secs. The session ends with HTTP 405's.

I'm going to try a few other things and see if I get similar results

Message 12 of 89
TheEther
Guru

Try performing a factory reset in case the new firmware isn't compatible. Reconfigure from scratch. Do not restore from a backup file.

Message 13 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

Here's an update. Support is still doing the tests. I gave them the copy of my config and I know they loaded it but that's about it.

The,  Mansus.

Message 14 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

I did a factory reset with new settings. No luck either.

Message 15 of 89
hamdit
Aspirant

any feedback on this issue?

i have the same problem and i litteraly tried everything to fix it.

support didnt get it to work.

it seems that webinterfaces do work from wifi to wired (port80) but others dont (port8080), also SSH doesnt work.

i think it is not total isolation.

hope this will be fixed fast

using V1.0.2.04

Message 16 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

Hello hamdit,

The current status is still not solved. I was requested to provide debug logs from r7800 together with the with wireshark capture to support.

Thx, Serge.

Message 17 of 89
hamdit
Aspirant

correction on my last post : port 80 was cached so it doesnt work either from WLAN to LAN.

i will try to make some captures today, i also am not sure if this is a hardware issue and the thing that concerns me is that Netgear support is not knowing of this issue.

im not sure if it is safe to post captures here publicly.

i am going to return my R7800 today but will try to make some logs before i do, maybe it will be helpfull, after trying for days and days i kinda gave up on it and this night i decided i can't be bothered with it any longer as i have a very busy work schedule and things just have to work for me.

i tried all available firmwares whole night but failed to get it stable, the first 5 minutes after a reboot it works but after that it doesnt.

i noticed that it is not isolation but rather something preventing the connection to get through fast, webinterface of my QNAP NAS did load for 10 minutes and gave a time out after that with a half loaded interface.

ping works.

NAS is seen in the network by other devices but not accessible (cant connect error) 

different ports also didnt work.

when plugged in LAN it all works fine.

let me know if i can provide more information even if i don't own it anymore.

regards,

Hamdi

Message 18 of 89
evel
Aspirant

I've done some wireshark captures myself. No smoking gun but it shows the connections never finishing.  I do believe the problem is in the new firmware. I was working fine until I upgraded.

I have tried disabling VLAN/Bridging. It did not help. In fact, I lost internal name resolution. Tried IP with no success.

Is it possible to force a reinstall of the current firmware? I suppose I could downgrade then upgrade again but I worry about introducing more problems.

Message 19 of 89
TheEther
Guru

Yes, you should be able to reinstall the current firmware.
Message 20 of 89
evel
Aspirant

Confirmed new firmware has fixed the issue! WAN>LAN is now working 100%

Thank you Netgear for regular firmware updates!

Message 21 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

Hi @evel

Unfortunately the new firmware didn't fix it for me. I have confirmed with Netgear support that the WLAN->LAN connectivity issue was not fixed in this update (and it wasn't mentioned either). 

Thx, Mansus.

Message 22 of 89
evel
Aspirant

very odd so after some time it appears to have stopped working. I got it going again by rebooting the router and flushing my dns cache. Now not even that works. It's back to the way it was.

Very annoying.

Message 23 of 89
JamesGL
Master

Hi evel,

Try to reset the router to factory default and reconfigure.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 24 of 89
JamesGL
Master

Hi evel,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 25 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7