Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7800 wireless clients cannot connect to lan clients

mansus
Aspirant

Hello @JamesGL,

the feedback is simple - the suggestion to "reset and re-configure" doesn't help as i have stated in my very first message in this thread. The support case is still open with not much of the progress.

Thx, Mansus.

Message 26 of 89
evel
Aspirant

I'll give the reset a try since it's a new firmware now. I'll report back when I'm done.

Message 27 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

Hello All,

I have to say that I'm very dissapointed with the quality of Netgear support. The original issue was never resolved by the support after 2 months. So I decided to give DD-WRT a try and guess what? Everything works (VLAN, OpenVPN server, QoS). So if you still struggle with the issue of the Netgear firmware, I would recommend give DD-WRT a try. 

Thx, Mansus.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 28 of 89
streilu
Guide

Is there anything new from Netgear support?

I've got the same problem with not being able to access LAN clients from wireless clients in the last firmware version.

Message 29 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

@streilu Netgear support was utterly useless. 2 months of collecting wireshark traces, tests and they still see "no issues". So I gave up on them and just installed DD-WRT (this one has a GUI compared to OpenWRT) and everything works as it should.

Thx, Mansus.

Message 30 of 89
hamdit
Aspirant

I solved it by returning it and getting myself a Asus Router to be honest, i gave up spening time to solve the issue.

Message 31 of 89
evel
Aspirant

@JamesGL I have done a factory reset after upgrading to 1.0.2.12. Still not working. I was able to access my ReadyNAS once immediately after reseting but it quickly stopped. My wireshark traces look the same as before. Lots of resets and high RTO.

I may have to go the DD-WRT route as well. I need to have a fix ASAP.

Message 32 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

@evel I'm using Kong Mod from myopenrouter.com. It's a straightforward process on how to replace the firmware (just look at the latest article). For VLAN tagging, you'll need to create a VLAN on eth0 (default WAN) interface (Setup->Networking) and assign a newly created port as WAN port on the same page. Once you're online - you can easily do the rest (wifi, services, etc). WIFI->LAN works right away.

Thx, Mansus.

Message 33 of 89
evel
Aspirant

@mansus I'll try to find some time to run through it. Did support really say they see nothing wrong in the wireshark traces? Or is it they cannot find the root cause?

Message 34 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

Hello @evel,

This is their reply:

"Our higher level of support could not see any issues from the debug logs you provided. They would like to know if you are willing to continue troubleshooting with them."

I mean I give them logs taken simultenously from the router and from the clients yet they see no issues. Even when the client reports "cannot connect, internal error, etc".

That was after 2 months and multiple wireshark/debug logs from both router and end-points. So I just gave up and went with DD-WRT.

Thx, Mansus.

Message 35 of 89
evel
Aspirant

Wow. I am by no means a network engineer but even I can see problems in my wireshark traces.

I've had good luck with DD-WRT in the past. I'll give it a go.

Message 36 of 89
TheEther
Guru

Could you post a snippet of the wireshark capture here?  Doesn't have to be the raw capture.  The decoded capture is fine.

Message 37 of 89
streilu
Guide

I may provide you some logs this evening or tomorrow, don't know when I have time to capture some.

Message 38 of 89
DrCthulhu
Aspirant

@mansus I'm having the same issue with wireless clients not connecting to lan clients... I tried flashing the latest Kong DD-WRT at your suggestion, but I could never get it to connect to Centurylink so I had to go back to the stock FW.

On the setup tab I put in username@qwest.net and my password for PPPoE credentials and then on the networking tab set up the vlan 201 for eth0 and set the wan port to the new eth0.201 port with no luck. Any other suggestions on what I should be doing? I never put in a domain name or hostname on the credentials tab, is that needed?

If there is a good tutorial on this, I would appreciate it. I'm no stranger to running custom router fw or setting it up in general, but this is the first time I've had to worry about PPPoE credentials and vlan tagging (used to have a cable provider).

Message 39 of 89
streilu
Guide

VLAN-Tagging with Priority and PPPoE on WAN isn't working for me too, that's the reason why I'm also using original firmware.

@DrCthulhu if you solved this issue please let me know how.

Message 40 of 89
mansus
Aspirant

@DrCthulhu it seems your're not the only one with CenturyLink issues. A quick search shows http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=300259&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=43b3a6aa43...

So it seems the easiest solution would be to buy a cheap managed switch and tag the port where CL is connected with VLAN201

Thx, Mansus.
Message 41 of 89
DrCthulhu
Aspirant

Thanks @mansus I did find that. I think I'm just going to return the r7800 and get an asus rt-ac3200 similar specs and people have actually got it working with Centurylink and their wireless networks. It is mind boggling to me that a $230 router cannot handle a simple task of allowing wireless and wired networks to talk to each other. That is simply inexcusable.

Message 42 of 89
evel
Aspirant

well shoot. thanks for posting your experience with CL and Kong. I haven't had a chance to give it a go. I'll skip it now and not waste my time.

I may hook up my NAS via USB. Pain in the butt workaround but than nothing for now.

Message 43 of 89
streilu
Guide

Some new tests showed me that enabled VLAN-ID on the WAN interface is causing this issue.

I'm in contact with Netgear Support now, if we can solve this issue I will inform you guys here.

Message 44 of 89
Mietek154
Guide

Hi,

How it's going with this?

I have exactly same problem i cannot reach LAN devices from WIFI networks. My current setup:

Capture.PNG

I recently bought a NAS and connected it to LAN however I'm not able to connect it from WIFI (ping works fine but nothing else HTTP/HTTPS/SMB)

Message 45 of 89

Hi all,

Any updates on this issue, I am having the same nightmare for the last week.

Best regards,

Mohamed

Message 46 of 89
streilu
Guide

I'm in touch with Netgear support, but haven't heard anything since last week.

Will give you information if I get some information.

Message 47 of 89
Mietek154
Guide

Push them harder.

I'm also happy to send logs if they ask me to do it.

I still cannot believe in this, device for almost 250$ is broken out of the box! They should stop selling it!

Message 48 of 89

Hi,

I have managed to identify the cause of the issue in my case, the router can't handle NAT properly I guess, if I turn off the DynDns and restart... I can connect to lan devices... SSH from wireless...

http://superuser.com/questions/446208/cant-ssh-within-lan-but-can-connect-from-outside

Regards,

Mohamed

Message 49 of 89
Mietek154
Guide

@MohamedYoussef wrote:

Hi,

I have managed to identify the cause of the issue in my case, the router can't handle NAT properly I guess, if I turn off the DynDns and restart... I can connect to lan devices... SSH from wireless...

http://superuser.com/questions/446208/cant-ssh-within-lan-but-can-connect-from-outside

Regards,

Mohamed

I'm not using DDNS. This option is disabled on my router and still cannot connect LAN devices.

Message 50 of 89
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7