R7800 won't connect to modem after reboot unless modem is power cycled.

MSN-RN
Aspirant

R7800 won't connect to modem after reboot unless modem is power cycled.

I wanted to see if anyone could offer some good advice regarding an issue I'm having with modem and router mentioned in title.

Problem: If the router is ever reboot (manually or accidentally), it will not reconnect with the Arris (TM1602) modem. The R7800 continues to work perfectly fine locally, but won't gain internet access UNLESS the modem is power cycled. Once modem is power cycled, it resolves the issue.

This issue has persisted throughout my years of ownership with R7800 regardless of firmware version (Currently V1.0.2.68).

On the router log, all I see is this (when I power cycle modem):

[Internet connected] IP address: 24.162.***. ***, Friday, January 10, 2020 22:20:50

[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.100.20, Friday, January 10, 2020 22:20:04

[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.100.20, Friday, January 10, 2020 22:19:54

[Internet connected] IP address: 192.168.100.20, Friday, January 10, 2020 22:19:43

I've done all the normal stuff (factory reset, changing cables, etc). The only thing I haven't done is test a different modem. However, I don't think changing modems would be necessary as I recently tested DD-WRT V3 Beta (Build 40559) on my R7800 and while on DD-WRT this problem went away. While on DD-WRT firmware I can make changes to the router and reboot it a thousand times and it will reconnect to the internet every time without having to power cycle the modem.

It's got me wondering if there is some kind of option within the stock Netgear firmware that's causing this since the it performs exactly as it should on DD-WRT.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6
duckware
Prodigy

Re: R7800 won't connect to modem after reboot unless modem is power cycled.

@DarrenM , this is a bug to fix.  I have replicated.

R7800 (1.0.2.68) connected to and working with TM1602AP2.  Reboot router and internet never comes back until modem is reboot.

Another 'solution' (only if local) is to unplug the Ethernet cable between modem/router, plug back in, and Internet immediately comes back up.

This is a huge problem for remote reboots -- impossible with this bug.

Message 2 of 6
MSN-RN
Aspirant

So you're confirming this issue? Do you only have this problem with the TM1602 or is it all modems?

I run a few server services from my home, so if anything happens when I'm away from home and remote reboot is possible it's so frustrating.

Also, the reason I'm asking is because the Spectrum office here might be willing to swap me with another modem if it's just an issue with TM1602.
Message 3 of 6
duckware
Prodigy

Yes, I am confirming that the R7800 has the bug you describe when combined with the TM1602.

I have four other R7800 (all using Motorola Surfboard SB6183 for modem) and can confirm no problems rebooting the R7800 when that modem is used (but all of those are on older firmware, but I suspect that will not matter).

I am only using the TM1602 at this location because it is 'free' with my plan and is provided by my ISP.

The other option you have would be to ditch the TM1602 and buy your own modem -- if you don't use phone via ISP.  And even if you do have ISP phone, ditch and switch to another VoIP provider so you can dump the modem?

Message 4 of 6
MSN-RN
Aspirant

I appreciate the response. I'm gonna swing by Spectrum this morning and see if they'd help me out and give me something that isn't the TM1602 and doesn't have VOIP since I don't have that service. If not, I'll swing by Walmart and see what they have.
Message 5 of 6
MSN-RN
Aspirant

@duckware

I went into the Spectrum office and the assistant didn't ask any questions. He said that modem is no longer used by them. He gave me a Hitron E31N2V1. The problem has now been resolved.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E