Highlighted
Aspirant

R7850 drops connection randomly

Our Nighthawk X6 R7850 drops its internet connection randomly a few times a day - not at all conducive to our kids' distance learning classes!

Firmware is the latest: V1.0.5.52_10.1.67

Logs show entries like these.  While the disruption appears to be just one second, it usually takes a couple of minutes for the internet connection to be restored to wifi devices

[Internet connected] IP address: 172.88.173.241, Thursday, Sep 10,2020 19:15:09
[Internet disconnected] Thursday, Sep 10,2020 19:15:08

We previously had a Netgear R6400 v2 that didn't have problems like this.  Any thoughts/suggestions?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R7850 drops connection randomly

A couple questions yes. 

1. what modem is it connected to? 

2. When it drops, does your wireless connection say "connected, no internet"

3. Do wired devices drop? 

CAX80-> RBK53-> GS716v2-> TP-Link M9Plus
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

1. what modem is it connected to?   

Arris CM820

2. When it drops, does your wireless connection say "connected, no internet" 

No; the connections go away completely.  Wifi SSIDs are no longer broadcast - they do not show up as available networks to connect to on any device in the house.

3. Do wired devices drop? 

I have a wired base station for security cameras and its internet connection light goes out; i'm unable to access it via a browser from any other device as the wifi networks are completely down for a minute or two.

I also have a couple USB drives connected to the router; they appear to cycle power, and then spin back up when this occurs (lights blink, I can hear the spinning, etc)

From these symptoms, it seems like the router is performing a soft reboot when this occurs.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

A couple things to check.

1. the outlet. maybe the power to it is getting disrupted.

2. the power supply. maybe the power supply for the router is going bad. It could run fine until it gets under load and needs to provide full power and can't and it causes a reboot. They're tough to test because they usually need to be under load to see if they're going bad. If you had a different device with matching power supply, you could try swapping to see if it makes a different. Make sure it has the exact same voltage and at least the same amperage (can be higher amperage)

3. The firmware. You can try reinstalling the firmware on it. Maybe its corrupt. Make sure to do it over a hardwired connection. After the install, factory reset it afterwards and then reinstall it. 

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I purchased the same and mine does the same thing. As soon as I put the router under a "load" of any significance, it does a soft reboot and everyone is kicked off. I will attempt to use a different power supply, but I think there is a hardware issue because there is no log available as to why the drop happens. It also happens if the load is put on from wired or wireless feeds. It just shuts everything down. I have the latest firmware according to the router. I'm very disappointed because I moved from a netgear cable modem/router to this device with a fiber connection (modem). It seems to be VERY unreliable. I have stressed the fiber connection directly with a connectin from the ONT to a computer and it is reliable. IF it is software, my guess is that the DNS service shuts down and the rest of the device follows. I'll see if I can do a test hard coding the DNS from a device through the router and see if that is it. I'd have to fabricate a special power feed adapter to see if the power supply is the issue not delivering enough power during heavy flow.

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have replaced both the power cable with a new one (pretty lame, given the router is < 4 months old) and the power strip, and the problem continues to occur.  For years prior, I had an R6400 v2 plugged into the same outlet with zero problems, so I don't believe that's contributing.  I've experienced the problem with firmware 1.0.5.60 and 1.0.5.64. 

Seeing others report similar problems here and in Amazon reviews makes me wonder. 

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

@Timm317 wrote:

I purchased the same and mine does the same thing. As soon as I put the router under a "load" of any significance, it does a soft reboot and everyone is kicked off. I will attempt to use a different power supply, but I think there is a hardware issue because there is no log available as to why the drop happens. It also happens if the load is put on from wired or wireless feeds. It just shuts everything down. I have the latest firmware according to the router. I'm very disappointed because I moved from a netgear cable modem/router to this device with a fiber connection (modem). It seems to be VERY unreliable. I have stressed the fiber connection directly with a connectin from the ONT to a computer and it is reliable. IF it is software, my guess is that the DNS service shuts down and the rest of the device follows. I'll see if I can do a test hard coding the DNS from a device through the router and see if that is it. I'd have to fabricate a special power feed adapter to see if the power supply is the issue not delivering enough power during heavy flow.

Curious if you're still experiencing the soft reboot or if you have any new info to report?

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

If its only 4 months old, it should still be within warranty if it was purchased new. 

Click "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. from there you can go through the rma process. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements