Highlighted
Aspirant

R7850 drops internet randomly

Hello,

I had an AC1900 with 100 Mbps cable access point and had no problems till I had my household population increase to 10 people.  I started having random drops for different devices.  I could not figure out a pattern for it.  I called Spectrum and increased my bandwidth to 300 Mbps.  That actually made the drops more frequent and worse.  I logged into the router and looked at what it was doing.  I discovered that we had over 40 devices attaching to it and according to the specs that modem could handle "up to 30 devices".  The spectrum rep also said that if the modem was more than 2 years old, it may not be able to handle the higher band width.  I decided to buy the Nighthawk x6 R7850 Triband router.  I installed it and updated the firmware.  I am still having random drops sometimes with individual devices and sometimes it seems to be all of the Wifi goes down.  When it glitches, I can't see any of my Wifi bands. The modem still shows a good connection to the internet.  I have had problems before with routers sharing IP addresses with the Modem, but I don't think that is the case now.  Any others have this experience?

Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R7850 drops internet randomly

1. what modem are you connected to? 

2. What firmware are you on? please don't put "the latest". it chanages, isn't, or someone in the future could use this for their own reference. 

3. Do all devices have issues with drops? just a few? do wired devices have the issue or just wireless? 

4. Have you tried a factory reset and a reinstall of the router? 

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay in replying with this information.

1) The modem is the Spectrum Technicolor DPC3216

2) The firmware version is V1.0.5.48

3) It drops on all of my devices.  I have no computers wired directly into the router, but I have a disney circle plugged in and it has not indicated any issues with dropping.

I have power cycled both devices in different orders to see if that would help.  I have plugged my computer directly into the modem to see if it is having issues, but the modem does not connect to my computer without Spectrum doing a reset from their end of things.  

I have done a factory reset on the router twice now and then reinstalled on the network.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Guru

Have you tried unhooking the disney circle and running it without? Disney circle can block/schedule services 

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

We purchased a Nighthawk X6 R7850 from Sam's in December.  It has been working fine until recently.  The router will drop the internet connection randomly.  It seems to occur when my son is play his x-box which causes him to get booted off of his game.  Our internet provider is Spectrum and they recently had us upgrade our modem.  Is there compatibilty issues with Spectrum's modems.  I have factory reset the router, rebooted, confirmed that it has the latest firmware.  We shouldn't have this issues with the router after only 6 months.  Because it is past the 90 days, Netgear wants me to pay for additional warranty which is about the same as a replacement router.  If thi is the case I may just look to purchase a different brand that is more reliable. 

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Were you able to resolve this issue?  We're experiencing the same thing (with the latest V1.0.5.52_10.1.67 firmware).

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Guru

Its encouraged to start your own thread instead of "thread jumping" so we can individualize help and prevent the OP's post from getting confused with others. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements