Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7900 Dead?

mlienau
Tutor

R7900 Dead?

My R7900 has abruptly stopped working.  I experienced no intermittent crashing like I've seen in other threads nor have I made any changes to its configuration in over a year.  I cannot remember if I had automatic Firmware updates checked or not, and I cannot log into it to see which version of the firmware is currently installed.

When plugged in the power light is a muted orange or amber.  I see muted white light on Guest Wifi, 5Ghz 1, and 5Ghz 2.  The WPS light stays on solid white.  When I plug an ethernet cable into one of the network ports the corresponding light turns on.

I cannot access routerlogin.net even plugged directly into the router.  I tried a factory reset multiple times including the 30:30:30 method to no avail.  I downloaded the latest firmare (R7900-V1.0.2.16_10.0.32.chk) and tried a tftp flash (mentioned in this thread) and it failed with message "Connect request failed."

Anyone have any other ideas?  I bought the router in May 2017 so it's out of warranty.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mlienau
Tutor

Re: R7900 Dead?

I finally contacted customer support and walked through everything, and final conclusion was the deivce is bricked.  SO FRUSTRATING!  Router was 14 months old, so just out of warranty.  They said there was nothing they could do in terms of replacement or, and didn't even offer me discount on a new device.  So I bit the bullet and just got a Google wifi mesh system, I've been much happier with that so far.  I'll never be buying or recomending NetGear again.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you tried a full factory reset the unit could be bricked and you will need to contact support if the unit is still under warranty.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
James721
Luminary

Check your power supply for the router. Even small drops in voltage or current can cause all kinds of wierd issues. Just a suggestion i have seen this happen before. 

Message 3 of 8
mlienau
Tutor

Power supply is reading pretty steady around 19.08 volts

Message 4 of 8
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Please ensure you enter the TFTP recover mode first.

1) press reset button first and then power on 

2) after 10+ sec and power LED is blinking, release the reset button. after this step, if everything goes smoothly, you're in TFTP recovery mode.

3) follow the rest steps in your post (e.g., manual config your PC to 192.168.1.10 (under TFTP mode, DHCP server won't work))

Let me know if it works for you. Good luck~

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
antinode
Guru

> Power supply is reading pretty steady around 19.08 volts

Did you measure that while it was powering the router, or in a
no-load condition (which could be misleading)?  Substituting a
known-good power supply would be another more reliable test.

Message 6 of 8
mlienau
Tutor

I finally contacted customer support and walked through everything, and final conclusion was the deivce is bricked.  SO FRUSTRATING!  Router was 14 months old, so just out of warranty.  They said there was nothing they could do in terms of replacement or, and didn't even offer me discount on a new device.  So I bit the bullet and just got a Google wifi mesh system, I've been much happier with that so far.  I'll never be buying or recomending NetGear again.

Message 7 of 8
myersw
Master

Welcome to the don't buy or recommend Netgear routers club. I am a member as well.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7