R7900 Firmware does NOT prompt for password if using ReadyShare USB Drive

jjshnabadu
Follower

R7900 Firmware does NOT prompt for password if using ReadyShare USB Drive

New community member here, and this is my first post...

Model: Nighthawk X6 AC3000 R7900

Firmware: V1.0.1.12_10.0.17 (Current as of this posting)

I have been using my R7900 (in a small office) for a few months and have always been prompted for admin username and password to access the router settings/firmware. Today, I plugged in a USB drive for the first time and set it up to use ReadyShare. After doing so, I was no longer prompted for admin username and password when accessing the settings/firmware. I've accessed the router from multiple browsers, cleared caches, deleted saved login credentials -- even logged in from my phone (which I've never done before) and was still never prompted for an admin login. Updating to the latest firmware did not solve it, and neither did router reboots.

After some searching for solutions, I gave up and performed a factory reset. That worked -- until I set up the ReadyShare USB drive again. To confirm ReadyShare is the cause, I disabled the ReadyShare drive, and what'ya know -- prompted for admin password every time I try to access the router settings/firmware. Re-enabled the ReadyShare again: no more login prompt -- just free access. Disabed the ReadyShare drive again: back to getting login prompt.

I did some more searching and found the following closed thread that seems to describe a similar issue: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/routerlogin-does-not-ask-for-username-and-pa...

That thread is more than a year old. Has Netgear addressed this yet?

If there isn't a solution, then it means that I either:

1) Secure my router and give up USB attached drive access, or

2) Us my USB attached drive, and live with everyone on my WiFi having full admin access to the router settings/firmware. 😞

I tried to contact NetGear support, but apparently, they don't provide phone support after the first 90 days. Nice. My first Netgear experience (have used Linksys for the last 15 years) is starting to sour.

Any solutions out there or recent news/info about this serious security flaw?

Thanks!

JJ

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7900 Firmware does NOT prompt for password if using ReadyShare USB Drive

Hi jjshnabadu,

When you can access the UI and click logout button, will it ask you again to enter the login credentials?

Message 2 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7900 Firmware does NOT prompt for password if using ReadyShare USB Drive

Hi jjshnabadu,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E