Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7900 Nighthawk won't allow internet on ethernet connected pc if NordVPN is on

TNeil
Aspirant

R7900 Nighthawk won't allow internet on ethernet connected pc if NordVPN is on

I just bought this router to boost wifi in my household. I use NordVPN and it still works on my laptop connecting via wifi but it won't work on my main computer that is directly connected to the router via the ethernet cable. I am a very basic computer user. If NordVPN is turned on and I try to connect to the internet it won't do it. If I turn NordVPN off I can access the internet. Can I not use NordVPN now that I have this router?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TNeil
Aspirant

Re: R7900 Nighthawk won't allow internet on ethernet connected pc if NordVPN is on

Thanks for the replies. I am not a super computer person but found an easy solution.  I read on here and Nord's site that they aren't compatible with Netgear and that OpenVPN was. I just bought OpenVpn's private tunnel for my main pc that is connected via ethernet to the routher and it works like a charm.  Thanks so much!  I have also found for me that deactivating the two 5gh streams and setting the 2.4gh stream to channel 6 has the best uninterruppted wifi experience in my 2400 sq ft two story residence with devices on both sides of the house!  That was a suggestion by an IT person I know and seems to work best. Live and learn right!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7900 Nighthawk won't allow internet on ethernet connected pc if NordVPN is on

Hi TNeil,

If the laptop is wired to the router will NordVPN works? You have to check again the configuration of NordVPN if there are settings that needs to be change since you have a new router.

Message 2 of 4
William10a
Master

@TNeil wrote:

I just bought this router to boost wifi in my household. I use NordVPN and it still works on my laptop connecting via wifi but it won't work on my main computer that is directly connected to the router via the ethernet cable. I am a very basic computer user. If NordVPN is turned on and I try to connect to the internet it won't do it. If I turn NordVPN off I can access the internet. Can I not use NordVPN now that I have this router?

I understand you are saying that the main computer you use is wired via a lan cable to the router and the vpn is you lose your internet connection when the vpn is turned on correct ?

The laptop works via wifi even when the vpn is turned on correct?

Have you tried a usb based wifi adaptor for the main computer then the router would see main computer as another wireless device just crazy idea that may solve the problem.

Message 3 of 4
TNeil
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. I am not a super computer person but found an easy solution.  I read on here and Nord's site that they aren't compatible with Netgear and that OpenVPN was. I just bought OpenVpn's private tunnel for my main pc that is connected via ethernet to the routher and it works like a charm.  Thanks so much!  I have also found for me that deactivating the two 5gh streams and setting the 2.4gh stream to channel 6 has the best uninterruppted wifi experience in my 2400 sq ft two story residence with devices on both sides of the house!  That was a suggestion by an IT person I know and seems to work best. Live and learn right!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7