R7900 No power following firmware update

TarheelJP
Tutor

R7900 No power following firmware update

Last night I attempted to install the latest firmware update using the Nighthawk mobile app.  Everything appeared to work as expected until the firmware finished installing.  The router then went dark and seemingly has no power at all now.  I power cycled the router multiple times even after allowing it to sit overnight.  I even tried plugging it into a different outlet.  Still nothing.  What happened?  Up until last night, the router has performed flawlessly. 

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: R7900 No power following firmware update

Any lights on it at all?

And I know it sounds stupid but you've pushed the power button?

And you've checked the LED on/off button? many times this gets flipped and people think it isn't working when the led's are just turned off. 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 8
TarheelJP
Tutor

No lights at all.  Yes, I have tried the power button several times and also made sure the led light switch is set to on.  I also tried pressing and holding the reset button many times. 

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

If you're not getting even a blip of light, it sounds more like a hardware failure. maybe the update was enough to push it over the edge. Most of our repair stuff resolves around a router thats at least minimally responsive.

A couple options.

1. If you're within your warranty period, open a rma case. Click on mynetgear at the top. Register an account and then your device. From there you can start an rma. 

2. Not within warranty? Time to play. First try swapping power supplies if you have another power supply around. Just make sure it has the same voltage and at least the same amperage. It wouldn't be the first time a power supply went bad

3. Still not working and for sure not within warranty? Open it up. see if there's anything obvious like a broken power connection, blown capacitor, etc. I had a bad power button once that just needed a spot of solder and got a router up and working again. 

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

and maybe the led's switch is broken/corrupted during the update.
If you plug it in and give it a few minutes, can you ping it at all?
If you can ping it, you can try recovering it via tftp.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 5 of 8
TarheelJP
Tutor

Thanks very much for the recommendations.  I will give those a try. 

Message 6 of 8
TarheelJP
Tutor

Thanks for the recommendation.  Pinging did not work.  I called Netgear prepared for them to tell me that I am out of luck since the warranty has expired.  To my surprise, they were very helpful and agreed to send a replacement router since the firmware update torched my unit.  Hopefully I will be back up and running soon.

Message 7 of 8
microchip8
Master

Also, DON'T use any crappy apps or wifi to do firmware updates! One little disturbance during the update process and you got a fried router. Always use a wired connection and the Web GUI at http://192.168.1.1 for something delicate as this. Let this be a lesson

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E