R7900,R7000

dondorn
Apprentice

R7900,R7000

so i had the R700 and found a deal on a new R7900. I was happy with speed. Now it seemes 2.4GHz just continuosly drops or slows down to a crawl. I have comcast Internet with the 250 package and always had great speeds. Well i went this am and got all new modems,cable boxes and all new Cat6 and HDMI. I know cale tv has nothing to do with it but i figured i would rule out EVERY possible problem with comcast. And it did. I checks the firmware on both routers and both are up to date as of today. I must have well over 1500/2000 dollars woth of netgear equipment here so i dont want to see it go to waste. All in all im looking for ANY advice,ideas,direction .anything to maybe help fix my speeds. I have 3 or 4 things that really need the 2.4 GHz. Any help at all is much appreciated. And if i need to give more info please let me know :-)

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router, R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R7900,R7000

Do you have your comcast modem bridged or set to modem only if it has a router built in? Have you tried to adjust the wireless channel on the 2.4 ghz? Have you tried to enable beamforming?

https://kb.netgear.com/25182/Resolving-poor-5GHz-wireless-range-signal-from-my-NETGEAR-router Use same method for 2.4

https://kb.netgear.com/25348/What-is-implicit-beamforming-and-how-do-I-enable-it-or-disable-it-on-my...

DarrenM

Message 2 of 17
dondorn
Apprentice

I am pretty sure I've done all that. But as soon as I get home I will try it again. Thank you :-)
Message 3 of 17
dondorn
Apprentice

I have followed everything you have listed other than moving router to a different area>  My router and Comcast gateway are less than 7 ft from point of entry into house. My slow 2.4GHz is the same if i am 2 inches or 2/20 feet away. Still trying . I was thinking of buying the next Nighthawk Model: RAX80 but if i can get this fixed 1st im going to try a different one. Hope i can get some more answers/help and TYAVMIA  :-)

Message 4 of 17
myersw
Master

With the bad experiences of the current Netgear and having spent the money you have for a poorly performing network, why would you want to buy into more pain and suffering by buying more Netgear. Sounds like time to move on. 

Know @michaelkenward will take offense to this suggestion, but by moving on I have a solid network that is always up. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 5 of 17
dondorn
Apprentice

I am looking at getting another brand. I ALWAYS had great luck with Netgear. My house is 1410 square feet. And if I cant get any satisfaction here I will move on. Would you or anyone else have any suggestions. I am only a home hobbyist and I break things to fix them just to break them again if that gives y'all an idea what I want :-)
Message 6 of 17
myersw
Master

If staying with Netgear the r7800 ia probably the best right now. Also supports 3rd party firmware should you be adventurous. Right now, if I were staying with consumer grade routers, I would look at Linksys, but read reviews about a particular model before buying. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 7 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@dondorn wrote:

I checks the firmware on both routers and both are up to date as of today.

I suspect THIS is the problem. R7000's firmware V1.0.9.64 is problematic for many and results in a variety of problems, and one like you have with speed.

I suggest:

• Going back to the LAST known good one by many users which is V1.0.9.42. Go to SUPPORT above, enter R7000, press enter, select DOWNLOADS, at the bottom of the list is PRIOR VERSIONS, click on the '+'. Open the READM and FOLLOW it including the link for the firmware.
  • Once installed, RESET the router. Open Genie in a Browser and log into the router. REENTER manually ALL settings, and then on the ROUTER UPDATE page TURN OFF AUTO-UPDATE. You can 'chance it' by not RESETTING and see if it works fine, but if it doesn't, you'll have to RESET it, and that should be done if you have further problems you discover later, there could be some corrupted data.
  • Check back here or use the ROUTER UPDATE button to check for new updates and if ONE is newer than V1.0.9.64 I'd come back here and see if there are 'bad' reports about it before installing.
  •  
Message 8 of 17
dondorn
Apprentice

I am going to try downgrading firmware again. I tried this befor and dont think i did it right. but will try and let y'all know and thank you all :-)

Message 9 of 17
dondorn
Apprentice

Well i could come here and say i fixed itall by mself,or i fixed it with all your help. (help was the right answer}

Anyways i went ahead and downgraded the firmware like y'all said and so far so good.  BUT !!  I would like to say alot of this mess was my own fault. Everytime i downgraded and ran thru no probs the warning would come up that it was an older version. and would i like to install the latest version. for some STUPID reason (me) i kept hitting yes install new version. Soooooo, lol, So far so good as it hase been only a few minutes. Now on to my next stupid question . Keeping yall amused im sure. This downgrade i did on my R7000 works. would i do the same thing on my R7900 and if so any hints on which firmware to go with ??  Either way thank you for turning the light on !!

Message 10 of 17
dondorn
Apprentice

well that didnt take long to go right back to slow. I might try to roll back a bit further. If that dont work i have noi idea

Message 11 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@dondorn wrote:

well that didnt take long to go right back to slow. I might try to roll back a bit further. If that dont work i have noi idea

I have to ask, did you do the FULL RESET and manually reenter all settings? If not, you can do it using the recessed button in the back or via the Browser Genie, on the Router Update page CLEAR NVRAM, does basically the same thing.

Now the interesting part, it was working fine you said and then, at some point it slowed down? Correct? Well, I'll assume this was WIRELESS only, WIRED did not? If so, there could be a very good reason for that. Here is some links that might assist you:

https://beebom.com/best-ways-fix-slow-wifi-speeds/

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Improving-Performance-on-a-Wireless-Internet-Connection

One real problem is mixing different speed devices, say a PC with N Speed wireless adapter and a SmartTV with G speed, when the TV turns on (or and slower speed device really like and AC and N speed device) the SSID will slow down to the slowest device, and it will not return to the full speed until a reboot happens. Could also be caused if WIRED due to a 100Mbps connection coming on-line.

If you KNOW the time it happens, open the Browser Genie, logon to the router and look at the log for a device (IP Address) that was logged for that time, it might be the culprit.

Message 12 of 17
dondorn
Apprentice

well now ive gone and done it.  I tried flashing my netgear r7000 and somehow ended up with Asus R7000. powererd by "Asuswrt-Merlin &Xwrt-Vortex" and i cant figure out how to change anything or even get that to work   I am trying to get back to factory firmware but it keeps saying Invalid Firmware upload?  Any ideas or should i hang it out back and take a few shots at it?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 13 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@dondorn wrote:

well now ive gone and done it.  I tried flashing my netgear r7000 and somehow ended up with Asus R7000. powererd by "Asuswrt-Merlin &Xwrt-Vortex" and i cant figure out how to change anything or even get that to work   I am trying to get back to factory firmware but it keeps saying Invalid Firmware upload?  Any ideas or should i hang it out back and take a few shots at it?

Well, it is clear you didn't get the official f/w but probably searched the web and found a 3rd party firmware.

You should probably be looking here for help, https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/ and you WILL need to get the real NG f/w from here as well, https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx#download.

Message 14 of 17
myersw
Master

That firmware is Asus firnware modified to run on a r7000. Link to where you can ask questions is here.

https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

You need to be knowledgeable of Asus firmware to configure or poke around until you figure it out. Not sure where you got it in the first place other then the above site. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 15 of 17
dondorn
Apprentice

Where i got asus f/w i have no idea. I thought i had got it from the netgear download site. thing is i cant get back to plain old stock netgear f/w. I will look over that site and see what happens. until then i really want to thank yall for helping me. i hope i can pay it forward some day  TYAVM :-)

Message 16 of 17
muziccity
Aspirant

Hello,

Don't know if this is the right area or not since Netgear only supports their products for 90 days.  But I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth regarding the firmware updates.  Most of the time they cause some kind of an issue, even if the intent of the update was to improve security or whatnot.

For example the Disney circle thing being enabled will seriously inhibit/limit your speed if you have a ISP provider with speeds in excess of 200 or so.  Literally cuts it in half or less depending on what speed you have.  I had 300 Down 25 up and could only get 125-150 down and 25 up.  Disabled Disney Circle and like magic I'm at 300 down 25 up.

Now along comes 1.09.88 and not only is my speed cut in half, but my Samsung smart TV hubs not longer "see" the readyshare drives.  I have 3 drives connected to two R7000 routers.  One is my main router, the other is used as an access point.  I updated them both to the latest firmware from Netgear (big mistake) and instantly half speed and not recognized by TV's.

I rolled the main router back and all issues with it were corrected, speed and TV's recognized my drives in it as Readyshare drive Q & N, a 4TB and a 10TB.

I left the other router (Access Point) with the new firmware, still slower speed and drive not recognized by TV's.  I then rolled it back and magically my speed and recognition of Readyshare2 a 4TB drive S was almost instantly recognized by my TV's.

It's sad that there is literally no support other than from the community.  Basically it is self support.  The average Joe without a lot of tech savvy and trying to do what should be a smart thing by keeping his components up to date doesn't stand a chance.  I found out about this issue myself and thought I would take the time to see if it was a known issue by browsing the community posts.  I regularly check my speed and other stats, so I immediately suspected an issue with the firmware.  Their are all differnet kinds of the exact same thing occuring as evidenced in the posts.  Not just with the R7000.  Doesn't Netgear want people to continue using their products?  Or are they so big and complacent that they just take the money and run?

How do we get this issue to Netgear, it's clearly a problem they created, but that's like most of the issues that have occurred in the past, and the "community" is on their own to troubleshoot and resolve.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements