Re: R7900 - Router Freezing

sunnyfla
Aspirant

R7900 - Router Freezing

I've had this problem intermittently since installing this router (purchased at costco) and it is at the point I'm close to returning it if I cannot get a stable network.   The router will freeze, you cannot connect to it on any of the wireless bands with any devices (android, windows or Linux) and it will not even allow access via ethernet port, it is completely inaccessible, with all the lights flashing, the only solution is to power cycle it, which of course loses any log information.  The router is running version V1.0.1.12_10.0.17, a 2tb USB 3.0 drive is connected to it and it is obtaining internet via an ARRIS cable modem set to bridge mode.  I am also running a netgear dual band extender but the only things connected to that are two printers both on 2.4ghz.  All bands are enabled and the 5ghz bands are not using smartconnect, nothing is set to SSID broadcast, security is enabled on everything and all of the guest access is disabled.  I have two security camera's connected, one on 2.4ghz and the other on 5ghz, one is taking periodic snapshots and backing up to the USB drive, the other is writing video and snapshots to the drive.  Neither have issues doing this and both are set up with port forwarding for secured remote access. It typically happens overnight where at some point from midnight to 6am the network will seize.  It isn't any consistent time frame.

In addition this past Saturday the throughput to the router was incredibly slow so I disconnected all but one windows pc (of course running latest antivirus definitions and not showing unusual packet traffic).  Tried without connection to cable modem, still incredibly slow transfer from USB that eventually froze the router.  I need to add I typically have excellent transfer speeds from USB drive, that is what makes this so infuriating.  The drive checks out fine with no errors so it isn't that causing the issue.  Tried rebooting the windows pc and then could not connect so I pulled the power to it since the power button was not cycling the router.  The router completely lost it's configuration and because I didn't have a backup of it since it updated I had the pleasure of reconfiguring it all.  In addition another curiousity, that update had caused me to not be able to use the android ready share app to access the files on the USB drive which pre update worked fine.  I wrote it off as the update caused an issue with connectivity with the app on their end or the app itself but in reality once I redid the configuration I once again could access the files remotely via the app.  It was stable from Saturday evening 1/29/17 until  approximately 12:20am 1/31/17. 

I am guessing  there is some sort of security issue here with the router firmware that is causing stack overflows which are freezing up the router but of course once it is inaccessible and only corrected via a power cycle all the information on those log files is gone.

Any ideas beyond just returning the router?  All I want is a stable network that consistently functions. 

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
LeeH
Prodigy

Just wondering if you did a reset using the button on the back held in fo at least 10 seconds until the power light turned orange and started to blink?  Not reseting after changing firmware can cause all sorts of problems.

Message 2 of 13
William10a
Master

Yes when you reset the router you clear out the data from the old firmware and garage out of the routers system memory.That's the way it should work with luck.

Message 3 of 13
sunnyfla
Aspirant

I just need to understand are you saying completely wiping the configuration or just power cycling it?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@sunnyfla wrote:

I just need to understand are you saying completely wiping the configuration or just power cycling it?

He is suggesting wiping the configuration.

Message 5 of 13
LeeH
Prodigy

To properly reset your router:  Press in and hold in the reset button on the back of the router for about 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink.

Message 6 of 13
William10a
Master

You may need to use the 30/30/30 reset this will clear setup you had.

Message 7 of 13
sunnyfla
Aspirant

The update occurred over 2+ weeks ago and the router lost the configuration Saturday late afternoon so in a sense it has already been wiped, there was nothing remaining of the previous configuration at that point.  I suspect it is something else going on, I am seeing in the log numerous entries for lan access on port 62543, 53286 and 53722 to a windows pc from various IP so I have blocked those ports until I hear screaming about something not working.  

Message 8 of 13
sunnyfla
Aspirant

I don't want to come across as being unappreciative, but honest to god if I have to wipe an then redo the configuration for a second time in a week I might just lose my mind. I need the thing to be stable, we have had neighborhood issues and 2 weekends ago I was able to give video to the police of the people who stole a neighbor's suv, if it had been the other night the camera's would have been offline. 

The isn't the first router by any means but by far it is the most unstable, when it is working normally it is wonderful, I get fantastic speeds and zero complaints but there are some real shortcomings with the interface and features but mostly the stability.

I will try a complete reset, just not tonight, I'm guessing the explaination  of 30/30/30 is in another post here.  

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@sunnyfla wrote:

I don't want to come across as being unappreciative...  

It is a pain, esp. if you have a lot of reserved addresses and forwarded ports.

One thought:  Save the current configuration before you reset.  Then just make the minimal configuration and see if it is stable.  If it isn't, then the reset didn't help, so you might as well restore the saved config.

Message 10 of 13
William10a
Master

What about the nvram of the router could there still be something that has not been cleared out ?

Message 11 of 13
William10a
Master

Here is the 30-30-30 reset.

1. when the unit is powered on, hold down its reset button for 30 seconds.
  2. while still holding down the reset button, unplug the router from power and hold for an additional 30 seconds.
  3. still holding down the reset button, turn on power to the router again and hold for 30 more seconds.

May not be the answer all router problems but when nothing to lose wreath a try.

Message 12 of 13
sunnyfla
Aspirant

I wanted to check back in, I tried all suggested and it crashed again last night.   The primary use for the drive is to back up security camera images and video, we have had neighbor issues and several cars stolen/broken into in neighborhood lately and I was able to give the police footage so it is important to get this whole setup stable for me.  

I *suspect* it has to do with the drive I have connected, it is a seagate USB3.0 2TB slim backup and I noticed last week it had quite a few corrupted files.  I wish I had kept a log of all the issues with the router crashing to see if there is a correlation with the number of corrupted files prior to the crash, I can go back and look to see where there are "holes" in images captured and see if there is any pattern, it's just a matter of free time available.  I have two Amcrest IP camera's connected and have about 40% of the drive free but I suspect writing to it and accessing it to pull over the video to be post processed might have caused the drive to run at peak speeds for too long a period and caused the issues (or it could be just a crappy drive).  Anyhow I sucked it up and bought a different USB3.0 drive so once I have it on the router I'll let you all know if it fixed the issues.  My theory is if one or both camera's (only one is saving video) ran into a bad sector repeatedly it might have caused the crash, not really knowing the internals of how the router handles this type of event it's hard to say since the logs disappear once you power cycle it.  

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E