R7900 Wi Fi speed half of wired speed

Scott-L
Aspirant

R7900 Wi Fi speed half of wired speed

I just upgraded connection speed with Spectrum from 100mbps to 200mbps (same router, new modem) and wifi speed is still only 100mbs, wired connections are getting 200mbps. router is nighthawk r7900 and was getting nearly 100mbs wifi previously.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
microchip8
Master

Re: R7900 Wi Fi speed half of wired speed

what is the speed of your wifi adapter? that might be a limiting factor. Also, what are you using? Laptop, smartphone, something else?

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: v1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 20 TB
Message 2 of 10
duckware
Prodigy

wireless / wired?

wireless: What is the PHY speed that your wireless devices are connecting to the router (http://duckware.com/wifi#PHY)?  Expect throughput 'around' 55% of PHY speed.

wired: check the LED lights on ethernet jacks all the way from your PC to the modem and confirm everything indicates 1 Gbps.  You are looking for something indicating 100 Mbps (to fix).

Message 3 of 10
Scott-L
Aspirant

i am using an asus chromebook with dual band gigabit wifi

Message 4 of 10
Scott-L
Aspirant

i dont know the "PHY" speed at the moment (im at work) but will check later today. i am using an asus chromebook with dual band gigabit wifi and am connected on the 5ghz band of the router. the nighthawk app shows the settings to be 1.3gbps max on 5ghz and the chromebook is supposed to be 1gbps. 

Message 5 of 10
Scott-L
Aspirant

PHY is 866 and today all my wifi devices are getting 115-130mbps and wired are 200-215mbps

Message 6 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Scott-L wrote:

i am using an asus chromebook with dual band gigabit wifi and am connected on the 5ghz band of the router. the nighthawk app shows the settings to be 1.3gbps max on 5ghz and the chromebook is supposed to be 1gbps. 

To much marketing numbers 8-)

Open crosh on your Chromebook (CTRL-ALT-T) and use 

connectivity show devices

crosh> connectivity show devices
/device/wlan0
Interface: wlan0
LinkMonitorResponseTime: 2
LinkStatistics/0/AverageReceiveSignalDbm: -41
LinkStatistics/1/InactiveTimeMilliseconds: 380
LinkStatistics/2/LastReceiveSignalDbm: -44
LinkStatistics/3/PacketReceiveSuccesses: 71400
LinkStatistics/4/PacketTransmitFailures: 0
LinkStatistics/5/PacketTrasmitSuccesses: 155198
LinkStatistics/6/ReceiveBitrate: 866.7 MBit/s VHT-MCS 9 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 2
LinkStatistics/7/TransmitBitrate: 866.7 MBit/s VHT-MCS 9 80MHz short GI VHT-NSS 2
LinkStatistics/8/TransmitRetries: 1485

@Scott-L wrote:

PHY is 866 and today all my wifi devices are getting 115-130mbps and wired are 200-215mbps

One of the problems is that Web browser based speed tests are becoming notorioulsy unreliable, especially if the latencies are becoming variable because of the wireless link is - under no situations (leaving an RF isolated lab alone) - very different from a wired Ethernet link.

When using e.g. a Windows 10 system with a local tech university spin-off (cnlab) Web vs. App based speed tests, we see differences of up to 150% so much more than double the speed in the App than in the Web test.

Ono of the reasons is that Web browsers are not optimized for pure single threaded throughput.

Message 7 of 10
duckware
Prodigy

A PHY speed of 866 appears to be the max for that device (max modulation at 2x2)?  Then expect max throughput around 475 Mbps.

What channel is the router on?  Maybe install the "WiFiAnalyzer (open-source)" app on a smartphone and see if there are others (neighbor routers, etc) on the same channel (and remember that an 80 MHz channel uses 4 20 MHz channels).

Last, try several online speed tests.  Like speedtest.googlefiber.net, speedtest.xfinity.com, fast.com, etc.

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@duckware wrote:

A PHY speed of 866 appears to be the max for that device (max modulation at 2x2)?  Then expect max throughput around 475 Mbps.

Still far to good to be true, good theory, howrver overly optimisitc. Compare to what Tim Higgins does reach on average 5 GHz up and downstream with fully featured 3x3 clients - https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32489-netgear-r8000-nighthawk-x6-review-pa... (same 5 GHz radio as on the R7900) ... much more real world numbers. And certainly less with a 2x2 client.

Of course, there could be interference, concurrent usage of the same channle(s) in the neighbourhood, ... still I'm convinced you will never ever see these 475 Mb/s thropughput in a cloud based, web browser based speed test. 

Message 9 of 10
duckware
Prodigy

With modern hardware (most stuff made in the last couple years), it is not that hard to get good speed test results from web based speed tests.  Here is one that I wrote: cfspeed.com.  However, with older hardware, yes, the hardware can't keep up.

Samsung Galaxy S8: From a web based speedtest running in Chrome on a Samsung Galaxy S8, I get 340 Mbps (from around a 866 PHY speed):

ash.jpg

Dell XPS 17: From a web based speedtest running in Chrome on an old (2011) Dell XPS 17, I get 453 Mbps (from around a 866 PHY speed):

delllaptop.jpg

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E