Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7900 internal speedtest showing WAY slower speed than external speed tests

WLMBRM
Initiate

R7900 internal speedtest showing WAY slower speed than external speed tests

First post, I searched but couldn't find the exact problem I'm having.

I have Spectrum 1GB/40MB service.  When I run speedtests (Spectrum speedtest, Speakeasy speedtest, Ookla, etc) all show my DL speed in the 900mb-1000mb spectrum.   Yet when I run the Netgear internal speedtest, it is only showing (consistently) 233mb.  Can anyone shed light on why this is, and if it truly is having an impact on anything and if so, how to fix it?   

Thanks!

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7900 internal speedtest showing WAY slower speed than external speed tests

Are you using the nighthawk app?

Reason why is the nighthawk app hosts the test of the router and then rarely chooses the proper server. 

If you're getting full speed off a pc/laptop hardwired into the router, then its getting full speed and working properly. 

I usually don't recommend using the built in app speedtesting if you have >500mbps. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Are you using the nighthawk app?

Reason why is the nighthawk app hosts the test of the router and then rarely chooses the proper server. 

If you're getting full speed off a pc/laptop hardwired into the router, then its getting full speed and working properly. 

I usually don't recommend using the built in app speedtesting if you have >500mbps. 

Message 2 of 3
WLMBRM
Initiate

Makes sense.  No, not using the Nighthawk app, this was through the router login.   I was just taking a look around and after running the speedtest several times, became curious as to why.  I realized I was getting full speeds elsewhere so I didn't think anything was setup wrong but was curious as to why the huge delta in speeds.   Didn't think about it pinging a different server....my bad!   Thanks for the quick reply!

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7