R7900 not giving advanced options

southern-boy
Aspirant

R7900 not giving advanced options

I have been having a lot of trouble with my R7900 Nighthawk with DNS on Hughesnet.  I looked up using Google as my DNS server but when I got to either routerlogin or the Netgear Genie I get the same options and nothing gives me access to change any settings.  Advanced tab gives me no option to DNS settings at all.  I login as admin with default password which it accepts.  The Netgear Genie finds no router if I connect via wifi.  I have to use ethernet or it does not see the router.  How do I get to advanced settings to change DNS and other settings?  The web page telling me how to do that does not seem to apply to the R7900 even though it is listed as applying to the information.  What is missing?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
William10a
Master

Re: R7900 not giving advanced options

@southern-boy wrote:

I have been having a lot of trouble with my R7900 Nighthawk with DNS on Hughesnet.  I looked up using Google as my DNS server but when I got to either routerlogin or the Netgear Genie I get the same options and nothing gives me access to change any settings.  Advanced tab gives me no option to DNS settings at all.  I login as admin with default password which it accepts.  The Netgear Genie finds no router if I connect via wifi.  I have to use ethernet or it does not see the router.  How do I get to advanced settings to change DNS and other settings?  The web page telling me how to do that does not seem to apply to the R7900 even though it is listed as applying to the information.  What is missing?

Here is a link the the manual for the r7900 http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7900/R7900_UM_EN.pdf

You set the dns server's in the internet set up page about page number 22 of the manual shows the  place to enter the dns servers addresses you want to use I hope this helps.

Message 2 of 10
southern-boy
Aspirant

I am sorry but that does not help.  The problem I am having is that "Internet" is grayed out as is setup.  I can see the Internet status but can't see any settings nor can I change them.  I did flash it to the latest firmware version today which said it was only a language change.  As I see it,  I am not logged in as admin even though it says I am.  I cannot do anything with network connectivity once I get there.  I do have access to some things on the wireless side but it only allows me to change the password,  ssid, or channel but that seems to be it.  That is why I was asking how I can get in and fix dns because it was originally set up to automatically get dns from my provider and now I can find no way to change that.

Thank you.

Message 3 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@southern-boy Is the router in Access Point mode? Normally, if you're unable to select some options in the admin page then the router must have been configured in AP mode.

You may want to reset the router and start all over. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 10
southern-boy
Aspirant

Wouldn't I want the router in access point mode if it is the only router and is being used to access my local area network and the internet?  How do I check if it is in AP mode?  It seems strange that I would not be able to change from AP mode without having to do a hard factory reset.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@southern-boy What's your network setup? Normally, you will need one modem and one router for your network.

Access Point is somehow an accessory you would need if you have low wireless signal in a different part of your house. 

If the router is set in AP mode, other features are greyed out. You will need to factory reset the unit in order to be in router mode once again.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 10
southern-boy
Aspirant

My home network consists of a Hughesnet modem going to the R7900 router.  Hooked into the ethernet ports on the router is a 16 port switch,  a HP printer, this desktop computer, and a 2Tb NAS (which will no longer allow writing any files larger than 12mb but allows reading large files and remote access to it).  We have 2 smartphones that access the router,  one new smart TV (but always says no connection even after it connects and will not allow viewing any online movies).  Also connected all the time wirelessly is a house smart thermostat (that often says connection failed) and one laptop as well as 2 tablets.  Most of the time the only thing connected wirelessly is the thermostat.  The connections have frequently been poor at best even with all bars showing for signal strength.

The router has not been reset since it was set up 8 months ago.  The firmware has had 2 updates in that length of time and has been rebooted 6 times in that 8 month period (2 due to power outage).

Thank you.

Message 7 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@southern-boy Did you check if the router is in Access Point mode? If it's then reconfigure it in router mode. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 8 of 10
southern-boy
Aspirant

Access Point does show as enabled.  I find it interesting that there is no way to get into the configuration and change it without having to do a factory reset.  This is the first router I have ever had that did not allow me to access the configuration to change it and I have had several wifi routers over the last several years.

Thank you.

Message 9 of 10
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Initially, when you went through the wizard it will asked you questions such as if you want to use it in Router or AP mode. 

If you have selected AP mode it will ask whether you want to set a static IP address on it or just use Dynamic DHCP.

If you didn't select static IP address then you will be in the guessing game to find out the IP address of the unit. Though one way to find the IP address is to access the admin page of the device that acts as the router and there should be a place where you can see all the IP address attached to that the router. From there you should be able to see the IP address of the NETGEAR device. 

However, if you cannot see it in the list or you do not have access to the admin page of the router, the only way is to reset it and do it all over again. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements