Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7900P Ethernet

i58_Jess
Aspirant

R7900P Ethernet

I use Windows 10 computer connected to my R7900P with ethernet and wirelessly.  

While the wireless is fine my ethernet does not connect to the internet.  It says Unidentified network.  

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7900P Ethernet

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What CAT# lan cable are you using between the router and this PC? CAT6 is recommended. 

Ensure the ethernet drivers are up to date on the pc as well.

Does a different PC experience same issue? 

Have you powered OFF the ISP modem, router and this PC for 1 minute then back on in the following sequence? Modem, Router then PC? 

Is the LED on the router ON when the ethernet pc is connected to the ethernet port on the router? 

Message 2 of 12
i58_Jess
Aspirant

The PC that I was working on regarding this issue has died so thank you for your reply but for now this is a mute issue. 

Message 3 of 12
i58_Jess
Aspirant

I have the same issue as described here.  I have the same issue with my Laptop and Desktop.  

R7900 Connected through ethernet to am R6300 then from the R6300 to my PC.  It used to work up until a couple of weeks ago. 

I have not initiated any changes 

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

So remove the R6300 from between the R7900 and your PC? 

Your replies are not understandable. You say the problem went away and now your have another problem? 

Message 5 of 12
i58_Jess
Aspirant

Sorry, I had worked on this issue, and in the middle of that, I had to reinstall Win10 so that computer became inoperable. 

I have the R6300 connected to the R7000 using Ethernet to extend the wireless range.  The R7900 is connected to a Cable Modem out to the Internet. 

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would first make sure the PC works with the R7900.

Ensure that the R6300 is in AP mode. 

Be sure your using good quality LAN cable. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 7 of 12
i58_Jess
Aspirant

I connect the PC directly to the R7900 and it sees a wired connection but cannot reach the Internet (Cable Modem).

I cannot log into the R6300 so, for now, I cannot confirm its settings. I will keep trying.

Thank you very much for your help. 

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Can other devices reach the internet thru the R7900? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 9 of 12

@i58_Jess wrote:

R7900 Connected through ethernet to am R6300 then from the R6300 to my PC.  It used to work up until a couple of weeks ago. 

You are using two routers on the same network?

As @FURRYe38  explained for that to work, the second router should be in AP mode.

I connect the PC directly to the R7900 and it sees a wired connection but cannot reach the Internet (Cable Modem).

I cannot log into the R6300 so, for now, I cannot confirm its settings. I will keep trying.

When you have the router in AP mode, you need to track down the local IP address of the AP router, either through its wifi, the "attached devices" listing in your browser graphical user interface (GUI) or with something like the desktop genie and its network map.

As @FURRYe38 also says, it is kind of difficult to follow your explanations of what is going on.

Message 10 of 12
i58_Jess
Aspirant

Sorry that I am not being clear but this is not my area of expertise so I am trying as best I can. 

I did shut down the Cable Modem and both Routers (R7900 & R6300).

I connect a Laptop directly to the R6300 and can see it using the Genie but that does not show whether I am in Bridge (AP) mode. 

I tried to connect to the R6300 with a Browser but it always connects to the R7900 so I do not know how I can ensure that I am in AP mode. 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Review this and you should be able to determine weather the router is in AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7