Re: R7900P Firmware 1.2.1.6 problem

Davedkv
Aspirant

R7900P Firmware 1.2.1.6 problem

The last R7900P Firmware update (1.2.1.6) has caused internet connectivity issues. I'm rebooting my X6S every few days to restore internet connectivity, NEVER had to reboot it on previous firmware revisions...
Message 1 of 110

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 110
Davedkv
Aspirant

Yes, the router was reset (using the reset button) and reconfigured (using a backup file created before the upgrade).
Message 3 of 110

@Davedkv wrote:
(using a backup file created before the upgrade).

Bad move. That just restores whatever it was that caused the problem after the reset.

Try a reset and do not restore the backup.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 110
Davedkv
Aspirant

That's unacceptable...

I have 17 DHCP reservations and 50+ blocked websites. Re-entering all that information manually after every firmware upgrade is absurd!

If this is the only answer, Netgear needs to rethink their upgrade process!
Message 5 of 110

Add your vote here:

Never rebuild a configuration from scratch again! - Page 4 - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

Message 6 of 110
saberworks
Tutor

I'm having the exact same problem.  R7900P.  I updated to the latest firmware because it told me to due to security issues.  Within a day I started losing internet connectivity regularly.  Rebooting the router brings it back but it drops again the next day.  Performance seems to degrade more quickly depending on how much we use the internet.  I did reset  and manually re-enter my settings.  It isn't so complicated for me because the only thing I had edited was the wifi network names and passwords.  No other special configuration here.  The peak performance might be a little slower with the new firmware as well.  It is so bad that I went back to the old/insecure firmware because my wife and I both work from home and need reliable, functioning internet for our jobs.  The problems went away when I went back to the old firmware.  I only recently bought this router to replace an aging Asus that couldn't keep up when I upgraded our cable internet.  Haven't had a problem until this new firmware came out.

I have seen a number of threads on here about this same issue, but no acknowledgement from netgear.  Is my only option to return the router and buy something else?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 7 of 110
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Just to verify that intermittent connection happens on both wired and wireless connections?

Message 8 of 110
Davedkv
Aspirant

First of all, this problem is not intermittent. Once internet connectivity drops, it never comes back on its own, which would be a requirement to be defined as "intermittent". The only way I've found to restore the internet connection is to reboot the router.

Secondly, this unit is advertised as a wireless router, so whether a wired connection looses internet connectivity is irrelevant, the router should work for what Netgear advertises it to be... wireless.

Clearly, the last firmware update has caused instability, as reported by numerous individuals. Own up to it and fix it!
Message 9 of 110

@Davedkv wrote:
First of all, this problem is not intermittent.

It is intermittent if it happens from time to time.

Just another user.

Message 10 of 110
steveofsd
Tutor

Just pick this router up on black Friday from Costco, got it setup and running in minutes.  During the setup it was prompt to update firmware to 1.2.1.6 from 1.1.4.6.  I wish I've read this forum before I do so, now I have drops every 24hrs.  Should I download 1.1.4.6 and re-install?  If yes any tips?

Message 11 of 110
saberworks
Tutor

Yes, I believe this also affects the wired connection.  I'm hesitant to re-upgrade to the newest firmware to verify this as I work from home and this causes so many problems.  But if I recall correctly it causes my ooma-based home phone to go out as well when it drops the internet connection, and that's the only wired thing I have connected to the internet.  Well, there's also an arlo camera base station connected but that thing barely works right most of the time anyway.

To answer someone else's question, yes you just need the next-oldest firmware and in my case, the daily dropped internet and requisite "reboot the router" solution is no longer needed.  However, you are then open to whatever security issues were fixed by that firmware update.  Unfortunately, the release notes don't really specify exactly what was fixed so I have no idea what I have opened myself back up to by downgrading to the previous firmware.  It's a really bad situation to be in.

Message 12 of 110

@steveofsd wrote:

Just pick this router up on black Friday from Costco, got it setup and running in minutes.  During the setup it was prompt to update firmware to 1.2.1.6 from 1.1.4.6.  I wish I've read this forum before I do so, now I have drops every 24hrs.  Should I download 1.1.4.6 and re-install?  If yes any tips?

Did you read the first answer to the first question? Did you reset the router?

If that does not work, then, as @saberworks says, you can retrieve older firmware from the support pages for this device at the end of this link:

>>> R7000P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

In a few cases, people find that simply reinstalling the latest firmware manually also works. But be prepared to roll back.

When troubleshooting this issue, it is unwise to restore a backup of your settings. It can work, but it came also restore the bugs that were there before the firmware flash.

Just another user.

Message 13 of 110
steveofsd
Tutor

I down graded to the privous firmware and it's been two days no connection drop, I'll keep checking back and report.  I'm glad someone here posted this issue, otherwise I'll be chasing the wrong items like my modem, computer setup.......ect.

Message 14 of 110
Oracle888
Aspirant

What is the current best good firmware for R7900P? Firmware 1.2.1.6 problem is killing me, internet just stop every few days.
Message 15 of 110
Oracle888
Aspirant

yes, the internet just completely stop, wifi or wired. Router and modem looks fine.
Message 16 of 110

Remember, if you have not tried a factory reset after installing the new firmware, this has been known to fix this sort of problem.

If you have tried and it failed, fine.

Just another user.

Message 17 of 110
steveofsd
Tutor

It's been 5 days since I down graded back to the previous firmware, so far no disconnect that I have to reboot to get the Internet back.  It's so annoying that every day or two I have to reboot when using 1.2.1.6.

And yes after up graded to 1.2.1.6 I did a factory reset but that didn't fix the drop off every day.  My router is new, I hardly have any personal setting other than new password, it shouldn't incompatbility issue.  I'll check back in next week.

Message 18 of 110
saberworks
Tutor

I haven't had any instances of the internet dropping off and I haven't had to reboot my router since I downgraded the firmware and posted my message however long ago it was.  And yes, as I indicated, I did reset back to factory settings after I initially upgraded my firmware and had problems after reading suggestions to do so on this forum but it didn't help anything.

My return window at Costco ends in a few weeks.  It looks like Netgear isn't acknowledging this issue and I doubt they are going to put out a new firmware before my return window closes.  And even if they do, what does this whole experience say about their quality control and responsiveness?

I'm concerned about the security fixes that are present on this router (with the downgraded firmware) and the lousy support from Netgear.  I'm going to spend some time this weekend researching, buying and installing a replacement, and I'm going to return this router to Costco.  I'm actually pretty disappointed because while I find the UI on this pretty sparse, it's actually easy to use and with the non-broken firmware, I really do get consistent and fast speeds and the coverage in my house is much better than my previous Asus router (which admittedly is ~5 years old).  I also really like the fact that there's a physical switch to turn off most of the blinking/bright LEDs and we have no problems with multiple video streams and my son's video games going on at the same time.

Message 19 of 110

@saberworks wrote:

I'm concerned about the security fixes that are present on this router (with the downgraded firmware) and the lousy support from Netgear. 

Fixing the latest security issue – you don't say which one bothers you – is down to the people who make the chips in the modems and routers.

All manufacturers are in the same boat. Before you buy from another maker, check that it isn't also stuck with security holes.

By the way, the latest security issue will not affect you if your router is running as a router. It will not kick in unless you have put it into bridge mode.

And if you are really worried, stop using all wifi clients. That's where the real gaps are.

Just another user.

Message 20 of 110
saberworks
Tutor

I'm having a hard time telling if you're joking.  If you go to the firmware download page and click on the "release notes" link, the only thing they say is: "Fixes security issues."  They don't outline what security issues or the severity of them or what mode your router has to be in to be affected.  Maybe you have some access to more details than I have?

It also sounds like you're blaming the chip makers for the faulty firmware update that causes regular dropped internet connections.  I don't think they're to blame for lack of communication from Netgear, lack of acknowledgement of the issue, poor phone support, poor QA practices, inferior customer support policies (3 months!?!?! and then I have to pay!??!), etc.

I believe you are also implying that I won't get any better quality product or support elsewhere.  I am inclined to agree with you.  But at least it resets the clock on the return period and I'll have another NN days to find out if the silly router will be decently reliable.

Message 21 of 110

@saberworks wrote:

If you go to the firmware download page and click on the "release notes" link, the only thing they say is: "Fixes security issues."  They don't outline what security issues or the severity of them or what mode your router has to be in to be affected. 

Netgear's release notes are famously useless.

It also sounds like you're blaming the chip makers for the faulty firmware update that causes regular dropped internet connections. 

My latest message was solely related to your security concerns. You said:

I'm concerned about the security fixes that are present on this router (with the downgraded firmware) and the lousy support from Netgear.

You then said:

I'm going to spend some time this weekend researching, buying and installing a replacement,

Had you done so you would have discovered that the wifi security bug (KRACK) that has caused so much grief affects all wifi clients. (This means that it does not affect routers in router mode.) I have read the research paper that revealed this issue to the world. If anyone should get worked up, it is the makers and users of wifi clients.

This is because the security gap is due to a problem with the chip design. Fixing it is down to the chipmakers coming up with code that blocks the hole that leaves devices vulnerable.

That being the case, and given that you are worried about security, you need to check that any alternatives that you research are not in the same boat. Many router makers use the same core chips in their devices, so they all need the chip makers' support in updating their firmware.

This might be informative, if your weekend of extensive research didn't find it:

Security Advisory for WPA-2 Vulnerabilities, PSV-2017-2826, PSV-2017-2836, PSV-2017-2837 | Answer | ...

Just another user.

Message 22 of 110
joeave
Guide

I had the same issue after updating the firmware to 1.2.1.6 as prompted during install. It is really anoying to see no ack from Netgear that there is a problem with the FW and they should clearly pull it from the web and spare others the BS.

Message 23 of 110
terraset
Aspirant

I just want to thank everyone on this thread. I was hesitant to update my v.1.1.3.2_1.1.74 to a newer version. Reading those messages convinced me I'd better stay with what I have. I've been using this router for 3 days and I don't have any connection drops with the current firmware - don't see the reason to upgrade it. 

Message 24 of 110

@terraset wrote:

....don't see the reason to upgrade it. 

It depends on your attitude to security issues.

Just another user.

Message 25 of 110
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E