R7900P Firmware 1.2.1.6 problem

Re: R7900P Firmware 1.2.1.6 problem and 1.3.0.8

wrote:
Starting from scratch configuration every time there is a FW update is an unacceptable solution to the problem.  

True, but if that is the only way to squish the bugs, you either have to reset, or put up with the old firmware. You can't really expect much sympathy if you refuse to follow support's suggestions on that front.

wrote:
Maybe if there was a way to store or document this prior to the reset it might be more tolerable, but other than screen shots documenting of your configuration is lacking.

Yup. That is an ongoing request in the "Feature suggestions" forum. There are various suggestions, such as exporting to an XML file that is human readable. Some people have even suggested that there are ways to read the configuration backup files that you can create.

One tactic is to save a configuration backup, flash new firmware, reset, look to see if that fixes the problem. If so, restore the backup and see if it is still fixed. If not, then you either live with the bug or go back to the earlier firmware and restore your backup. You will then be back where you were in a process that shouldn't take more than a few minutes. 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 51 of 110
TheGuy12
Aspirant

Sorry, but the thought that the only way to address a bug in the basic functionality of the router is to perform a factory reset every time you have to upgrade FW is atrocious.

If this it the level of quality that Netgear puts into the basic routing functions, I have serious doubts that they have any capability to update security on this device.

from their own online documentation, nowhere does it call out to perform a factory reset on the device with the installation of new FW.  I could understand making this a recommendation this for a single release but not for every one.  I have not seen in any of the past several release notes that a facotry reset is recomended.

Sadly I think this has to go back to Costco and be replaced with a router that actually does what it was designed to do and do it reliably.

Message 52 of 110
joeave
Guide

So here's my update after doing the factory reset and upgrading to 1.3.0.10 firmware after a few days I start to see spikey response times. I do not totally lose my connections like before but my ongoing ping tests (ping -t 8.8.8.8) go from 10-12ms (good) upto 50-150ms (not so good) powering the router off immediately brings the responses back to 10-12ms consistently and then the cycle starts again.

Would be good to hear from Netgear if they see this in their FW qual..

Message 53 of 110
Duck1
Aspirant

Re: R7900P Firmware 1.2.1.6 problem

Netgear,

So a couple of weeks ago I made an egregious error in following an email from you update my  R7900p FW to the latest version. This is really unfortunate as we've not had a single issue since it was turned on. The FW update referenced above is the first one we've applied.

Can we expect an update soon?

Please advise...

Message 54 of 110
tvbob
Apprentice

Duck1,

Not sure what you meant by your post...   Does the router work properly now with the latest firmware update?  Did it not work before? What version firmware did you install?  If not, what problems are you experiencing?

Inquiring minds want to know..

Thanks

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 55 of 110
Obiwan_
Apprentice

I have been reading in other threads that the WAN connection drop that has effected all firmware versions after V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 It appears that it  has something to do with Smart Connect. The temporary solution is to turn off Smart Connect. The last reported firmware version that worked consistantly with Smart Connect was V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 . Unfortunately there are security issues that this old version does not address. Have any of you shut off. Smart Connect and had your connection issues resolved?

Message 56 of 110
Davedkv
Aspirant

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with the current (1.3.0.10) version of the firmware... I would suggest you give it a try...
Message 57 of 110
Obiwan_
Apprentice

Are you using Smart Connect. I have tried V1.3.0.10_1.2.2  and with Smart Connect active, I drop the WAN with Smart Connect off, it works fine. Do you have Smart Connect turned on?

Message 58 of 110
Davedkv
Aspirant

Smart connect is active...
Message 59 of 110
tvbob
Apprentice

Hi and thanks for your input.

Just a brief note.  I am doing some Beta testing with Netgear on the firmware issue.

I think that I can say that when the firmware is released the Internet dropping issue will go away.

Patience is a virtue.

Bob

Message 60 of 110
Obiwan_
Apprentice

As my daughter said when she was 6, going to catholic school........   Patience is a virgin.  

Message 61 of 110
Obiwan_
Apprentice

I have been running the latest TEST firmware with Smart Connect since 3-29-18 10pm PDT on two R7900P Routers. Neither one has had any connectivity issues. Hopefully this is a successful solution to the WAN drop and other WiFi issues.

Message 62 of 110
sankarnp
Aspirant

what is the latest firmware ? can I download and try

Message 63 of 110
tvbob
Apprentice

Not sure what is in release at this time...but I can tell you that the Beta version that I am testing seems to be flawless.  Solid connection for over a month.

Give a call to Netgear Tech Support and ask them what is available. Good people..

Message 64 of 110
sankarnp
Aspirant

On the phone with netgear, was told somebody will call me withing 24 hours with the firmware. Wish they could just email me. Facing lot of pressure to return the device to Costco and i will rather try to make it work.

Message 65 of 110
Obiwan_
Apprentice

They have to talk to you. Then get you to acknowledge on line, a nondisclosure and then as soon as you finalize the nondisclosure, they send you the link for the beta (Test) firmware.

I'm still running two routers since 3/29/18  10pm PDT. Everything seems to run great.

Message 66 of 110
tvbob
Apprentice

Once it is working it is seriously a great product.  Unfortunately, Netgear botched having an immediate response to tye issue. This is changing.  

Might I suggest a bit of patience.  If it is a Costco purchase (I think that all of the 7900P units came from Costco) they are excellent with returns.  The only question is if you have the patience to reset (unpower/repower every 48 hours) you will  be pleased with the product.  I know that the beta software works well and am just awaiting the actual firmware release.  It should not be too far in the future.

Message 67 of 110

@sankarnp wrote:

what is the latest firmware ? can I download and try

What are you on now?

1.2.1.6 is no longer the  most recent "official" release.

That is R7900P-V1.3.0.10_1.2.2.chk

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 68 of 110
sankarnp
Aspirant

it is the latest version 1.3.0.10 plus more.. Unhooked the router yesterday and went back to my old one. When I get new firmware will try

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 69 of 110
Warriorpoet
Aspirant

I really am hoping for the fix soon. I ever updated my firmware because of this issue. If netgear doesn't resolve it in the next month I will just return it to Costco. I do like the router. It works better then the gt5300 by asus.. and is half the price. But I need to have full functionality and use, along with security. I'll give it 30 days.. if they don't get it resolved by then... I'll pack it up and bring it back to costco.
Message 70 of 110
Warriorpoet
Aspirant

good luck to you all,,, I"m tired of the bs.. the rep from netgear said it was just fine to update the drivers.. then the issue happend...  then all this crud... so I"m done with Netgear for life.. I hope the company fails and dies.. I'll buy a lynksys router.. they are more stable.. good luck to you all with the issues.. I will remember this experiance and netgears refusal to even acknowledge the issue for the rest of my life and will not allow any famly member or friend to even think about purchasing one.. lates.

Message 71 of 110
Obiwan_
Apprentice

My two R7900p routers are still running without a hitch since 3/29  (18 days). They are both running V1.3.0.11_1.2.2(test). Hopefully they will release a finalized version for everyone, sooooooon.

Message 72 of 110
Brooklynbummer
Aspirant

@saberworks wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem.  R7900P.  I updated to the latest firmware because it told me to due to security issues.  Within a day I started losing internet connectivity regularly.  Rebooting the router brings it back but it drops again the next day.  Performance seems to degrade more quickly depending on how much we use the internet.  I did reset  and manually re-enter my settings.  It isn't so complicated for me because the only thing I had edited was the wifi network names and passwords.  No other special configuration here.  The peak performance might be a little slower with the new firmware as well.  It is so bad that I went back to the old/insecure firmware because my wife and I both work from home and need reliable, functioning internet for our jobs.  The problems went away when I went back to the old firmware.  I only recently bought this router to replace an aging Asus that couldn't keep up when I upgraded our cable internet.  Haven't had a problem until this new firmware came out.

I have seen a number of threads on here about this same issue, but no acknowledgement from netgear.  Is my only option to return the router and buy something else?

I have had exactly the same problem with my 7900 router.  My solution was the same so that the resetting is not required all the time.  I am also having issues with the my internet speed. Previously, I was always getting more internet speed than what I was paying for.  Now I upgraded to 250 from 70 and received in the mid to upper 80's but only get in the upper 100's.  I use Comcast internet.  I even changed modems to get 3.1 Dosis but no change.  When is Netgear going to fix this mess?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 73 of 110

@Brooklynbummer wrote:

Now I upgraded to 250 from 70 and received in the mid to upper 80's but only get in the upper 100's.  I use Comcast internet.  I even changed modems to get 3.1 Dosis but no change.  When is Netgear going to fix this mess?

The mess may have nothing to do with Netgear. When you make fundamental changes to your internet service it may be necessary to start from scratch with your network.

Your network happily worked with settings designed for its way of working. You have now pulled the rug out from under it. The poor thing may still be trying to do what you set it up for with the old settings.

So, go back and reset everything to the "out of the box" status. Start with the modem. Then move on to the router.

Just another user.

Message 74 of 110
joeave
Guide

With regard to the original firmware issue, I have not seen any issues with my wired or wireless connections since upgrading to 1.3.0.10 several months ago.

Message 75 of 110
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements