R7900P Firmware 1.2.1.6 problem

Brooklynbummer
Aspirant

Re: R7900P Firmware 1.2.1.6 problem

My router seems to need resetting more often, ran fine for months.  Is resetting a sign that my Netgear is near end of life?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 101 of 110
tvbob
Apprentice

I would hope not.   With that said, if your router is less than a year old, may I suggest that you contact Netgear support while it is still under warranty so you have a record of a (potential) problem while iunder warranty. 

Might I also suggest that you update the firmware to the latest version.

Go to routerlogin/net and log in.  Now go to the Advanced tab and drop down to Administration and then Router Update.

Message 102 of 110
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Newest fw 1.4.1.30_1.2.26 for both R7900P and R8000P are available for updating. They are stable as far as keeping the router connected to internet without any drop. Minor problem still exists with 2.4G where the internet speed might drop to 85% from ISP speed. 

To be prudent, I always disable DLNA (particularly for R8000) and if necessary, disabling also QoS. It will keep the routers working fine.

Best

Addendum: 

It is also best if after updating the firmware to do hard resetting the router to the factory default setting and then configfure it.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO,R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 103 of 110
Brooklynbummer
Aspirant

Did update and the router is well ventilated plus over a year old.  

Message 104 of 110
Cleric05
Aspirant

@TerryPh I tried everything you recommended, updated the router after a factory reset, input all of my settings again, just for it to work for a week and then lose connectivity while I was away from home. This only began to happen after a fw update... Any other suggestions? Want to return, but Costco only has other NetGear products right now and from my research, all NG products seem to have the same issue, bad firmware updates
Message 105 of 110
tvbob
Apprentice

Hi,

I have been in the 'Netgear Loop' for over a year now.   Most recent firmware seems to be solid.  My suggestion would be to try and simply let the router do the update without the factory reset/etc.  Can't speak for the technical side, but this has worked for me..   Just confirm that the current router firmware version is the latest (ending in 2.26).  When the router works it seems to be quite good and solid.  I believe that Netgear is over their issue with the R7900P.  Trust me that this gave them a black eye at the highest corpoorate levels.  Maybe they have learned from their haste and missteps.

Bob

Message 106 of 110

@tvbob wrote:
My suggestion would be to try and simply let the router do the update without the factory reset/etc. 

That is sound advice. It is what I do, unless have post-flash issues. Only then do I get into reset country.

The only time I suggest it here is when people experience those problems. Of course, because people turn up here with problems – they wouldn't if all was well – it does feature more often than we would like.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 107 of 110
Cleric05
Aspirant

Nope, tried new update. Went down twice in the past 72 hours. Any recommendations?
Message 108 of 110
tvbob
Apprentice

Hi,

Here are a couple of siggestions..  Some might seem elementaru, but it will isolate the issue..

First thing is to go a factory reset.  Follow this with letting the router wake up and go into the routerlogin.net area and check for firmware updates.   Assuming that it finds an update, let it install it to the latest version.  From time to time, log into the router at www.routerlogin.net/debug.htm   This has a listing (called System Uptime) for exactly how long the router has been functioning.  Check this occasionally.....   Also..  if the router crashes, before you do anything with it, confirm that your modem is still pushing out a connection.  This requires a non-wireless (RJ45) connection to a computer.   Assuming that the modem is fine and it is certain to be a router issue, take it back to Costco and exchange it for another.  Costco is very good about this regardless of time..    Hipe that this helps...   Bob

Message 109 of 110
steveofsd
Tutor

I finally upgraded to 1.4.1.30 during Christmas break and as of today 1-6-2019 there was no disconnection, may be they fix it....finally.

Message 110 of 110
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements