Re: R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

Ram2018
Aspirant

My Old belkin router was dropping connections every few days. I though it was few years old and so the issue. Got this Netgear from costco. Same issue. Droping connections every 2-3 days. Updated firmware as soon as I got the device as per the recommendation. Any fix for this? If not will have to return this.

@larry2tiredwrote:

#metoo

Message 76 of 286

You have joined in on a discussion that started two months ago.  You might not get much response after all that time.

Have you read and tried the various things suggested in there?

My immediate thought is that with two routers showing the same symptoms, you might want to look closer to home for answers.

If you do want to persist, try starting a new discussion. You can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
    Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
    Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 77 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

I have been having the same issues with my R7900P for the past two months. I have gone thru several different firmware versions and have tried a new router, all without doing any good. I am waiting for one last response from Netgear before I return this router to Costco and go with a different modem. Like others, when it is working it is good and fast and I like the management GUI but having to reboot every other day is a pain!! I am surprised that Netgear is unable to fix an issue that is clearly affecting a large segment of their user population.
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 78 of 286
mreg376
Guide

I finally went with the Synology RT2600ac.  No issues.

Message 79 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

Thanks for the recommendation!!
Message 80 of 286
HotWhls55
Guide

Greg0130, 

I know this is likely burried in the 80+ messages on this thread, however, for the sake of trying to be as complete as possible:

I was having this same issue for weeks and you'll see many comments from me, however, there's one important one I hope people are seeing, so I'll write the gist of it again:

I went back through several versions of Firmware, when I ended up rolling back to "V1.1.4.6_1.1.85" I have not had the issue since 1/31/2018. I would presume this version would work for others, but it's not the "last one", or may not even be the "one before last" - but for me at least it's been solid and I've been up for over a month without having to restart. 

Thanks, 

TJT

Message 81 of 286
larry2tired
Aspirant

How do I reinstall an older firmware?

Message 82 of 286
HotWhls55
Guide

@larry2tiredwrote:

How do I reinstall an older firmware?

@larry2tired, Please check out Netgear's instructions here: https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router

Essentially, you'll need to download the older firmware from Netgear's support site, then from your Router's Admin Console, you'll proceed through the instructions to install what you downloaded. The instructions are fairly clear, I hope it helps!

Thanks, 

TJT

Message 83 of 286

Spot on @HotWhls55 and you can find the instructions in the Release Notes for your chosen firmware.

Take your pick from that you find here:

>>>> Nighthawk X6S R7900P | AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support <<<<

Nearly into double figures. 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 84 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

I have also rolled back my firmware to 1.1.4.6 and I am waiting to see if that cures the problem. I still have an open case with Netgear and they keep asking me to perform the same troubleshooting steps. Definition of idiocy is to keep doing the same things and expecting different results. I have asked repeatedly to speak with someone who's first language is English, preferably located in North America. Even if 1.1.4.6 solves the issue, Netgear still has to figure out how to write upgraded firmware that doesn't break the router. Keeping a router where you can't really upgrade firmware seems unwise. I will probably wait until my 60 days are up at Costco, return the router and complain to them that they need to stop carrying products with inferior customer support.
Message 85 of 286
Pharze
Aspirant

Mine dose same thing. Brand new out of the box and after update. I’m about to return it.
Message 86 of 286
Pharze
Aspirant

How do we fix it so it recognizes problem and restores connection?
Message 87 of 286

@Pharze wrote:
How do we fix it so it recognizes problem and restores connection?

Not sure that I follow that.

A few things to try, factory reset the router and reconfigure the thing.

When you have it working, create a backup of your configuration.

There is a manual for the R7900P at the end of this link:

>>>> Nighthawk X6S R7900P | AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support <<<<

See page 139,

Back Up the Settings

If your problem is that the thing does not reconnect a restart,check the connection settings (see page 28)  and ensure that the Connection Mode is Always On.

While you are at it., check that there isn't a problem with the modem or your Internet connection. The router is in their hands.

Just another user.

Message 88 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

As of today, there is no permanent fix. Don't try factory reset. it is a waste of time. A regular reboot will restore service for about 48 hours. You can go online to the Netgear support site and download firmware version 1.1.4.6 and apply that. That seems to be the current fix of choice. I restored that version earlier this week and I have run over three days without losing functionality. On another note, Netgear has given me two more firmware versions to test. I will keep this forum posted on my progress. I really would like to keep this router because Costco is so good about returns. Moving to another brand which might have the same issue makes me nervous.
Message 89 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

I spent the weekend testing two versions of firmware 1.2.2(test) and 1.2.3(flow) are the suffixes.  Neither fixed the issue.  They both had seriously degraded Internet speed after 24 hours or less.  And immediately after i provided debug files and capture files, they say they have a beta version of firmwire that "might" solve the issue.  These people are unbelieveable.

Message 90 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

I am giving up. These people are totally incompetent. They have just asked me to test the same version of firmware that failed this weekend. I suspect nobody is reading or if they are they cannot understand english. I'm going back to d-link.
Message 91 of 286
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume that a fix is not in place in current FW. So version 1.1.4.6 will be the best one to use. 

What Mfr and model ISP modem# are you using? 

What other model# routers do you have? 

@Greg0130wrote:
I am giving up. These people are totally incompetent. They have just asked me to test the same version of firmware that failed this weekend. I suspect nobody is reading or if they are they cannot understand english. I'm going back to d-link.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v4.6.3.16
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v120) and WNHDE111
Message 92 of 286
arefkn
Aspirant

Tweeted at them, hope it gets some traction. Follow suit! 

Message 93 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

So it looks as if Netgear won't be any help at all.  Folks with the R800P are giving up as well.  The Synology AC2600 has been suggested but that is a bit pricy.  The D-Link AC2600 looks good but it appears they are restructuring their home router line and it doesn't appear on their list of current routers.  My work collegue has the Netgear AC2600 and it is working for him but after this experience, I am very hesitant to go with Nergear.  I have seen posts that Tech support from Asus is actually worse.  Anyone else have any suggestions??

Message 94 of 286
mreg376
Guide

I also noticed when I was in Costco the other day that the R7900P is gone, although it is still on the Costco website.  I did end up buying the Synology RT2600ac (Amazon $195, now similar to the R7900P at $199).  Haven't has an issue.  At leastly monthly software updates.  And it still provides a separated guest network even in AP/bridge mode (the only router that I have found that does so), which is how I use it (with my Verizon FiOS router as primary).  Haven't had to reboot once between software updates.  Phone support is by email and chat only, but is responsive, if not instant.  The router has many cool features.  I used Asus and Netgear for years, then Apple (the most stable and reliable of the three), now the Synology (just as stable and reliable as the Apple, with MUCH better range and MUCH more fully featured).  Haven't used Lynksys or D-Link since the b/g generation so I can't really say much about their current offerings.

Message 95 of 286
R7900P
Aspirant

I hope I can see this before I purchase the R7900P last week.  It just drops the internet (slow down) after every 1, 2 days. 

before I took this R7900P, I had use R7900 same from Costco, after a short time power off,SSID are not able tofind,no matter reset the router, or upgrade the FM. The tech support just has no solution for that even it still under warranty. 

I just go through the whole threads, and over 6 months there's no official response to this issue. This just ................ I might never use Netgear product based on this experience. 

Message 96 of 286
R7900P
Aspirant

I hope I can see this before I purchase the R7900P last week.  It just drops the Internet (slow down) after every 1, 2 days. 

before I took this R7900P, I had use R7900 same from Costco, after a short time power off,SSID are not able to find,no matter reset the router, or upgrade the FM. The tech support just has no solution for that even it still under warranty. 

I just go through the whole threads, and over 6 months there's no official response to this issue. This just ................ I might never use Netgear product based on this experience. 

Message 97 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

I was in Costco and the R7900P was still in stock. But a couple was considering purchase and I suggested they bypass and look for something else. Still nothing from Netgear on my case. Can they be this baffled by the problem or is there truly nothing they can do. I've pretty much decided to go with the Synology AC2600.
Message 98 of 286
TKaz
Aspirant

Thank goodness for Costco and their user friendly return policy. I hope Netgear pays attention to the returns they are receiving and takes action. I'm on my third router after returning the previous two hoping that they were just lemons that had the same problem cited in this thread. Since installing number three and updating the firmware to the latest a couple of days ago the problem has returned. I am now trying the firmware roll back suggested in this thread: V1.1.4.6_1.1.85.  If it crashes still, I will repost.

Thanks to everyone for starting this thread and suggesting fixes.

Message 99 of 286
Mlaraujo
Aspirant

I can not understand Netgear not participating on this forum??? help...Customer service??

Also it looks like that going back to V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 improve or even fix the problem... How had is to look at its code and detected what went wrong with the lates version... that should be a easy fix/approch .. Netgear please speak up!!  most of us bought this product because previous good experiance with Netgear products... how many more customers you will lose before addressing this properly, hide in silence is not helping.
I am very close to return the r7900p to costco and never buy a netgear product again. I will check this thread a couple of more times and return it.. going for 

Synology RT2600AC

Message 100 of 286
Top Contributors
Announcements