Re: R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

@nedra wrote:

I will have to figure out how to stop receiving these posts since it's no longer relevant. 

Read the footers on the emails that alert you to new nessages.

The link that says "unsubscribe".

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 151 of 286
Ramo18
Guide

I too have had this problem with the latest firmware. Disabling the smart connect made no difference. Had to reboot after about a day and a half. Hoping Costco will take this defective product back. This is the second Netgear router from Costco and both have had problems. Going to switch to a different brand Like others are doing. I am very disappointed as I have invested a lot of time trying to get this working.

Message 152 of 286
pkordes
Aspirant

I did exactly as suggested and have a case open with L2 support.  They made me sign the NDA but haven't sent the sofftware.  It has been 5 days with no response to repeated queries.  Now I just hung up after being on hold for over 30 min.  Any chance you can send the zip they sent you?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 153 of 286
Ramo18
Guide

I gave up, returned the Nighthawk to Costco and purchased a Linksys EA7500. It was less money and is working just fine for my home network. No reboots since installed over a week ago.

Message 154 of 286
ninad
Aspirant

Could not wait any longer for Netgear to resolve this, returned the R7900P router and got the Orbi.

Message 155 of 286
pkordes
Aspirant

FWIW ... I just FINALLY got the update to test although it says it is for Model 8000 it appeared to install okay, so now I guess we will just see.

Message 156 of 286
Mattmc
Aspirant

Well at least you got the update. Hope it works. Just spent an hour on the line asking for it. My rep was nice and tried, but the only way they would send it was if I returned the modem I have already and then they would give it to me. She tried but they wouldnt even move me to L2. Guess its back to Costco and a different router company for my business.

Message 157 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Call tech support again and ask specifically for Joy in level 2 support.  She seems to be the best contact to resolve this issue...

Bob

Message 158 of 286
Mattmc
Aspirant

Thanks tvbob. I couldnt even get them to hand me to level 2 support. Not sure I want to invest the hours trying to explain I need to talk with Joy. Now if Joy was looking on the forums and/or someone else in level 2 that wants to try and keep a customer, let me know before I return this tomorrow night. I'm happy to give the firmware a go, and it seems like it is helping others.

Message 159 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Joy now knows that you exist.   If I were a betting person, you will likely hear from them.

Bob

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 160 of 286
natrlhy
Tutor

I had this same issue. I got the test firmware they made available after contacting their L2 support. However this newly available beta firmware seems to address very similar issues at the test firmware. I am trying this one out now. Give it a shot!

http://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000058266/

Message 161 of 286
Obiwan_
Apprentice

I just saw the post above with the beta firmware. I guess I'm into masochism, I downloaded and installed. I went 7 weeks with the (Test) firmware without a problem. I'll let you know if I have any issues.

Message 162 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Have been running the Beta Release firmware  V2.4.0.8_1.2.12.  It crashed on me after 4 days of solid service.   I emailed Joy with the info.    Before I roll back to the (very solid)  test firmware, I repowered the router and am going to see what happens.

Anyone else have this issue??

Bob

Message 163 of 286
natrlhy
Tutor

On the beta firmware I referenced, I was needing to reboot it after 24 hours. I've given up on the R7900P and will be returning it to Costco. I got the Synology RT2600ac and so far I really like it. I've used their 5 Bay NAS device for a very long time and the SRM interface is very comfortable to use.

Message 164 of 286

@tvbob wrote:

Before I roll back to the (very solid)  test firmware, I repowered the router and am going to see what happens.

Remember, if you have any issues after installing new firmware, reset the thing to factory defaults. And do not restore the settings from a backup.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 165 of 286
Obiwan_
Apprentice

@tvbob wrote:

Have been running the Beta Release firmware  V2.4.0.8_1.2.12.  It crashed on me after 4 days of solid service.   I emailed Joy with the info.    Before I roll back to the (very solid)  test firmware, I repowered the router and am going to see what happens.

Anyone else have this issue??

Bob

I had one little blip where I lost internet after about 24Hours, but havent had an issue since. I went to the Internet Setup page in Basics and hit "TEST" and it came back on line. What does hitting "TEST" do?

Message 166 of 286
Obiwan_
Apprentice

The newest BETA firmware started dropping. I had not gone through the tedious MASTER RESET as I have many custom settings, port forwarding (6ea), static IPs (5ea), static WAN IP, custom LAN settings.IT IS A MAJOR PITA to master reset and reload.

But I have reloaded and will let you know.

How is it that Netgear, with over a month since we let them know that the TEST firmware was solid, cannot release a BETA firmware that is solid. This PROBLEM with the R7900P has been going on for at least SIX MONTHS or MORE!!!!!!

I do IT work and have been using Netgear routers primarily for the last few years. I am returning the second R7900P that I was going to sell and try and figure out how to make one work for me at home. I will NOT be selling NETGEAR equipment to my clients in the future. I cannot afford to service my clients and lose money trying to make them work. I had to replace two R7900P that I installed in November.

Message 167 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

I took my 7900P back to Costco several months back and got the Synology AC2600.  It's been solid as a rock since installed. Do you all really need the extra 5GHz band provided by the 7900P?  I don't miss it at all but then again i don't really tax the unit wirelessly.  All of my video devices are wired and i rarely watch videos or play games on my laptops or phones.  Netgear has gone far too long without providing any sort of reasonable fix for this issue.  I won't be buying their products in the future.  All of you ought to take advantage of Costco's return policy and buy something that actually works!

Message 168 of 286
natrlhy
Tutor

I think I read your post regarding the Synology RT2600ac and got one too. No drops in connections (seems slower on the 2.4ghz band) but I Will also be returning the R7900p router to Costco. I love the SRM interface and mobile app. I am very used to their DSM interface for the NAS device I have.
Message 169 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Happy Sunday one and all.

The new Beta Firmware (V1.4.0.8_1.2.12) crashed a second time.  This time it ran for only 2 days.  It seems to be the same bad news as the original firmware that started this thread.

I have just reinstalled the test firmware that worked solidly.

Netgear notified of the issue.

Bob

Message 170 of 286
anand_mishra
Guide

I also recently upgrated to beta(1.4.0.8_1.2.12) fw ie 3 days back. so far it's working fine and no crash for me. Test fw was solid good for almost a month or so. if Beta will give problem then i will go back to test for sure.

so far so good. finger crossed. 

Message 171 of 286
mreg376
Guide

I see you guys grappling with this 7900P, doing cartwheels when it happens to work for three days, and I have to ask why you don't return it or dump it, go with one of many other routers that work, and reclaim your time and freedom.

Message 172 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Just a quick reply to the previous email...

Some of us are involved (volunteered) to assist Netgear in the testing of the firmware for this router. 

Message 173 of 286
twgeary
Aspirant

I have upgraded to Firmware Version V1.4.0.10_1.2.14.  If I have to reboot the router again it will be returned.  I am disapointed in both Costco and Netgear.

Tim

Message 174 of 286
mreg376
Guide

You can return the router to Costco at any time, instead of having wasted your money, and you're disapointed with Costco?  I think it would be more accurate to say that both you and Costco are disappointed with Netgear.

Message 175 of 286
Top Contributors
Announcements