Re: R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

Obiwan_
Apprentice

@tvbob wrote:

Happy Sunday one and all.

The new Beta Firmware (V1.4.0.8_1.2.12) crashed a second time.  This time it ran for only 2 days.  It seems to be the same bad news as the original firmware that started this thread.

I have just reinstalled the test firmware that worked solidly.

Netgear notified of the issue.

Bob

Suckered in again by Netgear's < stellar support. I did a MASTER RESET, inputed all of my settings and 24 hours later, NO INTERNET twice. Pinging www.yahoo.com got me one return. Because I am using other equipment in my personal installation, I will roll back my installed router to TEST firmware and return the other R7900P to COSTCO. Thank goodness for their return policies.

I work with routers every day in my course of business and enjoyed Netgear products for reasonable cost consumer installations for a long time. It is products like these that use to make me money but makes me sad that companys sell this stuff as consumer installable.

I am on the hunt for another supplier. GOOD LUCK ALL. Bye

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 176 of 286
SlimIAm87
Aspirant

Why has this problem not been patched? I talked to a Netgear rep (case 30144747) and they said they are aware of this disconnect issue, but they only patch things quarterly...

Why would you leave us with an issue for 3+ months?

I get freaking disconnects every single day and it's annoying. 

Message 177 of 286
WiFiBuddy
Initiate

I am going to return my router today to costco becasue of this issue.

Message 178 of 286
DallasDVP
Aspirant

Just bought the router. Seeing similar problem. My wireless devices lose internet connection (WiFi stays on), Netgear reports everything ok. If I check Netgear Nighthawk app, it says Internet Offline. It changes the state to Online if I keep it open. Have to reboot the router to restore Internet for WiFi. Wired devices work fine. I just started to troubleshoot. Seeing many complains about this one, have not seen much from Netgear support on the issue. 

Message 179 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

Save yourself a lot of time and grief and take that router back to Costco. Netgear has been screwing round with a number of different test versions of the firmware since at least December and nothing has really worked well. I gave up and bought a Synology RT2600ac that has been performing flawlessly since January. It is only dual band as opposed to tri-band but unless you have a ton of wireless devices doing video streaming, you won't even notice.
Message 180 of 286
myersw
Master

@Greg0130 wrote:
Save yourself a lot of time and grief and take that router back to Costco. Netgear has been screwing round with a number of different test versions of the firmware since at least December and nothing has really worked well. I gave up and bought a Synology RT2600ac that has been performing flawlessly since January. It is only dual band as opposed to tri-band but unless you have a ton of wireless devices doing video streaming, you won't even notice.

I agree with above about returning. Do youself a favor and go to a totally different company as Netgear has lost their way with firmware and updating in a timely manner when there are big known issues. Not a good answer to say yes we know the issue and there is a fix, but we are on a 3 month cycle so you have to wait with the daily issue for 3 months? That is just crap. Reason there is a r8000 and r8000p sitting on shelf gathering dust. In my case I went with a Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin firmware. Could not be happier. Up for 36 days and that reboot was a firmware upgrade. Have 2 heavy streamers at night and not a hiccup. Could not say that for the Netgear products and was lucky to even have one of them up for a week. 

I used to recommend Netgear as my go to brand, but not after my recent experiences and following the forums. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 181 of 286
ipaid
Aspirant

I see internet disconnect problems all over the place for different router models. Does Netgear actually care? I don't see any progress here. Is the solution to buy another brand?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 182 of 286
myersw
Master

@ipaid wrote:

I see internet disconnect problems all over the place for different router models. Does Netgear actually care? I don't see any progress here. Is the solution to buy another brand?

IMHO

No Netgear does not seem to care. Gave up on them with a r8000 and r8000p. Currently their firmware is crap. Used to be my go to vendor.

Yes vote with your pocketbook. Buy another brand such as the one I am currently using, the Asus rt-ac86u. With Merlin firmware it just works. No Internet issues no wireless drops no reason to reboot except for firmware update. Currently up for 36 days. Last reboot was to upgrade firmware. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 183 of 286
prdunn
Aspirant

Reset every 24 hours for me. This thing is a total dog.  I was hopeful that they'd fix it, but I've had this thing for months and it's a daily **bleep**. 

Message 184 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

At the suggestion of Netgear L2 Support, I am running v1.4.0.10_1.2.14    So far, so good.

They had released to testers a version ending in 1.85.  This dumped me twice in 2 days (actually every 14 hours).  They know they have a problem with this one.   In the meantime, the version  that I am running hasn't crashed in over 2 days.    BTW..for those of you who might be interested, when the firmware/ router crashed, I was still able to use my Ethernet wired OOMA (VOIP) telephone and some other devices that don't require a browser such as Firefox or whatever the current Microsoft browser is.  This appears to be a big hint as to the issue.

Message 185 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

IGNORE MY PREVIOUS SUGGESTION..

v1.4.0.10_1.2.14 crashed at almost 48 hours exactly.  By coincidence, this is right after I posted the above comment.

Sorry about that...

Bob

Message 186 of 286
RProsser
Tutor

Hey all. I've been chasing this problem since mid-2017. I created a trouble ticket and was being helped by "2nd tier" tech support at Netgear, and I know they are aware of this problem because I sent the tech this very forum thread.

Since then I have not been updating to the latest versions (V1.4.0.10_1.2.14 at the time of this message -- has anyone tried it?), but instead went back to the version the router came with when I purchased it, i.e., V1.1.4.6. (See  link below.) That was and still is a very stable version for me. Months without rebooting, whereas the next version after 4.6 needed booting every 24-48 hours.

https://kb.netgear.com/000049483/R7900P-Firmware-Version-1-1-4-6

Message 187 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

To answer your question, V1.4.0.10_1.2.14 is very buggy.  It crashed an average of once every 24 hours or so.  After two crashes it went away.

You might want to ask L2 support for a download link to V1.1.4.6_1.1.85.  This is a test version that they produced a few months back.  It has been very stable and hasn't lost the Internet yet.  Not sure why they haven't released it as a beta version as it is so much better than the current (beta) version. This is what I am currently running until it is time to test the next firmware release.

Hope that this info helps.

Message 188 of 286
RProsser
Tutor

Thanks. Here is the link to that beta update: https://kb.netgear.com/000049483/R7900P-Firmware-Version-1-1-4-6

Come to think of it, R7900P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 IS the version I am running presently. I totally forgot that the L2 tech asked me to try this beta version -- and I did NOT go back to the OE firmware I had previously mentioned. In other words, YES, this version is stable.  Sorry for the confusion.

Message 189 of 286
SlimIAm87
Aspirant

@RProsser wrote:

Thanks. Here is the link to that beta update: https://kb.netgear.com/000049483/R7900P-Firmware-Version-1-1-4-6

Come to think of it, R7900P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 IS the version I am running presently. I totally forgot that the L2 tech asked me to try this beta version -- and I did NOT go back to the OE firmware I had previously mentioned. In other words, YES, this version is stable.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you. I'm going to give this beta a try. I'm tired of rebooting my router every 24 hours. 

Message 190 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

R7900P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 is the last stable version of the firmware and has a release date back in October of 2017 if memory serves me correctly. The R7900P is only sold by Costco and covered by their very generous return policy. Save yourself grief and take it back and buy something that works. My Synology AC2600 is solid as a rock.
Message 191 of 286
mreg376
Guide

It's shocking that people are fighting with this R7900P for month after month, firmware update after firmware update, and still won't take it back to Costco to get rid of it.  I also have the Synology RT2600ac.  I just had to reboot it after a firmware update.  I have had the RT2600ac for seven months, have rebooted it a grand total of three times in that seven months, after each of three firmware updates (and it can be set to do that automatically, in the middle of the night).

Message 192 of 286
myersw
Master

I totally agree.

My Asus rt-aac86u just runs. Was up for 44 days when Merlin released a new build. New builds are the only reason I reboot it. Anyone want a r8000 or r8000p? 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 193 of 286
ipaid
Aspirant

I was having a similar problem now for months. While streaming IPTV (UDP) my R7800 disconnected from the internet after a few minutes. After talking to the support hotline for several hours and testing all possible settings, I bought an ASUS router. Now everything works as a charm. No disconnects with the ASUS... Sorry Netgear I can't wait three months for a new firmware...

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 194 of 286
echosaint
Aspirant

Just bought one from Costco. Having exactly the same issue. Had to reboot roughly once a week. Running the latest firmware V1.4.0.10_1.2.14.

I bought the R7900P to replace my older Apple Airport Extreme since the cooling fan stopped working. I was hesitated to go back to "traditional" routers at that time since Apple Airport Extreme was stable and super easy to setup. Now my worry came true, which I have to deal with this disconnection issue and endless firmware update again. If this issue is not solved in few weeks, I'm going to return it to Costco and switch to Google Wifi instead.   

Message 195 of 286
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@myersw
---. Anyone want a r8000 or r8000p? ---

I want your R8000P. Up for sale? PM me, seriously...
Terryph
Message 196 of 286
myersw
Master

Yes. Sent PM, but since never used on this site before figured I would let you know and if you did not receive then let me know here. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 197 of 286
RProsser
Tutor

So this weekend, I purhased new Asus RT-AC86U routers from Fry's and returned the three Netgear R7900Ps I had purchased six months ago to Costco. Can't say I didn't give Netgear a chance to make things right, but I spent WAAAY too much time trying to make it work without success ... sort of like my first marriage. LOL

Message 198 of 286
myersw
Master

@RProsser wrote:

So this weekend, I purhased new Asus RT-AC86U routers from Fry's and returned the three Netgear R7900Ps I had purchased six months ago to Costco. Can't say I didn't give Netgear a chance to make things right, but I spent WAAAY too much time trying to make it work without success ... sort of like my first marriage. LOL

So how is the second marriage working out with the Asus. Smiley Wink

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 199 of 286
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@myersw

I received your PM and responded back to you. Please let me know.

Terry

Message 200 of 286
Top Contributors
Announcements