Re: R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

myersw
Master

@TerryPh wrote:

@myersw

I received your PM and responded back to you. Please let me know.

Terry

Saw and responded

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 201 of 286
SlimIAm87
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

@TerryPh wrote:

@myersw

Terry

Saw and responded

I don't want to be that guy, but can you guys stop using this thread as a private messaging service to sell stuff to one another? 

I get notifications for this thread to see if anything important pops up, and the last 5 e-mails have been you guys trying to PM each other. 

Message 202 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

For those of you who are interested/care/or are still here, I just wanted to report that there is currently a new firmware version under beta test that looks promising.  It has been solid for 4 days.   Hopefully, the light at the end of the tunnel isn't  just another oncoming train...

Bob

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 203 of 286
myersw
Master

@SlimIAm87 wrote:

@myersw wrote:

@TerryPh wrote:

@myersw

Terry

Saw and responded

I don't want to be that guy, but can you guys stop using this thread as a private messaging service to sell stuff to one another? 

I get notifications for this thread to see if anything important pops up, and the last 5 e-mails have been you guys trying to PM each other. 

No problem. We were new to the PM side and did not seem to be working so why you see us here. Sorry for causing you issues. All futher sale talk will be PM now that we know it is working.  With the way the Netgear site works and the state of firmware I am not comfortable that anything is working as it should. Don't even have spell check on the forums or at least I have not seen a setting for turning it on. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 204 of 286
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@SlimIAm87

Thank you for reminding us. My apology. 

Best

Message 205 of 286
Aloof
Guide

to tvbob - when is this firmware version expected to be released.  I'm one of the suckers trying to hold on to my 7900P.  I just swapped it out this past Saturday July 7th and had to reset like clockwork every 48 hours since.  

Message 206 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Hi Aloof,

Still testing the mew firmware.  Not sure if it is actually 'ready for prime time'. Had a few minor issues that I want to confirm that it is actually in the firmware and not an issue with my installation.

Might I suggest that you install the following test firmware that has been pretty solid for weeks.  Here is the info:

. Here is the link to that beta update: https://kb.netgear.com/000049483/R7900P-Firmware-Version-1-1-4-6

Just a note here that I do not work for Netgear but am a participant in some beta testing.

Hope that this helps..

Bob

Message 207 of 286
TKaz
Aspirant

As I posted previously, after three returns of this Netgear router to Costco, I switched to an Asus router that has been stable except after a firmware upgrade. This caused me to have to reset and reinstall earlier firmware. I'm staying away from upgrades on the Asus for a while. Still, I have been following this thread for personal interest and having been a past fan of Netgear products.

In case you had not seen this story in the Wall Street Journal:

Stolen U.S. Military Drone Documents Found for Sale on Dark Web, Researchers Say

https://www.wsj.com/articles/stolen-u-s-military-drone-documents-found-for-sale-on-dark-web-research...

A snippet: "There was no evidence that the hacker who acquired the Reaper drone documents was affiliated with a foreign country, or that he was intentionally seeking to obtain military documents, said Andrei Barysevich, a senior threat researcher at Recorded Future, the U.S.-based cybersecurity firm that spotted the attempted sale. Instead, the hacker scanned large parts of the internet for misconfigured Netgear routers and exploited a two-year-old known vulnerability, involving default login credentials, to steal files from compromised machines."

I do not know how this affects the current firmware choices but I would be leery of sticking with the older firmware as I recall that one of the purposes of the upgrade was to fix a security issue. The article suggests that changing login credentials would help.

Good luck.

Message 208 of 286
myersw
Master

@TKaz

What Asus router did you get? Is it supported by RMerlin firmware? His tends to be more stable. Fixes bugs where he can.  If you are not aware of his frimware here is the link. I run his build on my rt-ac86u. 

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 209 of 286
TKaz
Aspirant

Hi myersw,

I picked up an Asus RT-AC88U. Thanks for the info and link. I'll check it out.

TKaz

Message 210 of 286
myersw
Master

@TKaz wrote:

Hi myersw,

I picked up an Asus RT-AC88U. Thanks for the info and link. I'll check it out.

TKaz

Hope it works out as well for you as my ac86u has for me. Merlin adds a few tweeks and fixes to his builds. He is like Kong of DD-WRT fame in that he has tested before posting so you can be pretty sure things will run. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 211 of 286
SlimIAm87
Aspirant

To all,

Please use R7900P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85, I have had no problems since 6-27-18, not one disconnect.

Like others, I can confirm this firmware works.
Message 212 of 286
Greg0130
Apprentice

R7900P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 is the last stable production release of firmware for this product.  But it has security vulnerabilities.  Use at your own risk.  My Synolgy AC2600 has worked flawlessly since I gave up on the R7900P in March.

Message 213 of 286
mreg376
Guide

My Synology RT2600ac has worked erfectly since I bought it in December.  And Synology releases updates frequently.  Asus makes several good stable routers.  Why people keep struggling with the R7900P is beyond me.

Message 214 of 286
SlimIAm87
Aspirant

I'm the least interesting person in this world. I doubt these network securities would affect me, we don't even know what they are.
Message 215 of 286
Aloof
Guide

Hi, Greg0130.  I reverted to the V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 and was hopeful that it was indeed stable on my R7900P.  But just under 4 days (which was longer than it had been requiring reboots), I noticed the 2.4GHz channel had dropped out but the two 5GHz channels were still functioning.  So, still had to reboot to recover the 2.4GHz.  So in my case the older FW version is apparently more stable but did not fix my problems.   Unless Netgear has released a fix, looks like I'll be returning it to Costco and ordering an Asus AC2900 from Amazon.  

Message 216 of 286
anand_mishra
Guide

i upgraded to latest v1.4.1.24 few days back and it's working good so far.. FYI.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7900P.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.4.1.24

Message 217 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

@Aloof wrote:

Hi, Greg0130.  I reverted to the V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 and was hopeful that it was indeed stable on my R7900P.  But just under 4 days (which was longer than it had been requiring reboots), I noticed the 2.4GHz channel had dropped out but the two 5GHz channels were still functioning.  So, still had to reboot to recover the 2.4GHz.  So in my case the older FW version is apparently more stable but did not fix my problems.   Unless Netgear has released a fix, looks like I'll be returning it to Costco and ordering an Asus AC2900 from Amazon.  

The latest version (1.4.1.24_1.2.20) has been rock solid everywhere (2.4/5/Ethernet) for 6 days now.  There is hope unless I just cursed it..

Bob

Message 218 of 286
myersw
Master

@Aloof wrote:

I Unless Netgear has released a fix, looks like I'll be returning it to Costco and ordering an Asus AC2900 from Amazon.  

I think you will be pleasently surprised at how the Asus RT-AC86U (AC2900) runs. Only suggestion is to install Merlin firmware. Link to his forum

"https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/" without quotes. Had a previous post never get posted when I did a web link for some reason therefore the quote marks. 

Firmware here:

"https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/" 

He fixes some of the bugs in the OEM code and adds a few features.

The ac86u I have had 44 days of up time before I did a firmware update. The r7800 runs well for me, but am running a more challanging to install and configure firmware. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 219 of 286
cohoman
Star

@tvbob wrote:

The latest version (1.4.1.24_1.2.20) has been rock solid everywhere (2.4/5/Ethernet) for 6 days now.  There is hope unless I just cursed it..

Bob

Hey, how is version 1.4.1.24_1.2.20 holding up so far? I'm still running the older stable version, waiting on a new stable update. Does this version still seem stable?

Message 220 of 286
Aloof
Guide

Actually, I have about 84 hours on the latest release. All 3 channels have been stable. Shocking.
Message 221 of 286
mreg376
Guide

84 whole hours!  Wow!  Fantastic!  Ever since I returned my 7900P my Synology RT2600ac has been rock solid for seven months.

Why you guys continue to struggle with this device is beyond me.

Message 222 of 286
cohoman
Star

@Aloof wrote:
Actually, I have about 84 hours on the latest release. All 3 channels have been stable. Shocking.

Great. Let's hope this update stays stable. 

Message 223 of 286
Aloof
Guide

Now over 8 days stable and counting.  This is the best it's performed.  

Message 224 of 286

@mreg376 wrote:

84 whole hours!  Wow!  Fantastic!  Ever since I returned my 7900P my Synology RT2600ac has been rock solid for seven months.

How many firmware updates in that time?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 225 of 286
Top Contributors
Announcements