R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

MrOdo
Initiate

R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

Hello all. Bought this router and worked great for a few days. Now every 3-6 days or so the devices connected simply stop working. I can log in remotely and reboot the router which fixes the issue until the next time. Firmware 1.2.1.6. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 286

Re: R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

Tried a factory reset?

And restart the whole network is instructed.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 286
Kharvilas
Tutor

I am having the exact same issue with the latest firmware. I haven't found a solution yet.

Message 3 of 286

If it persists after a reset, then you can manually install the previous firmware.

The latest firmware updates are there to deal with a security issue that does not even  affect your router if it is running in router mode. So the "fix" may mean nothing to you. It has just broken your router. The older firmware could restore your Internet and your sanity.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 286
MrOdo
Initiate

Thanks. This happened with the prior firmware as well. A reset hasn’t fixed it.

Message 5 of 286
Kuhndawg25
Initiate

I have the issue of the 2.4ghz side not working, 5ghz works fine, it started to happening after the new FW update.

@MrOdo wrote:
Thanks. This happened with the prior firmware as well. A reset hasn’t fixed it.

Message 6 of 286
akpmehta
Initiate

I am having same issue too. I had another router of same model bought in Aug, and that had no issue ever. However my new one which I bought in Nov, is dropping internet signle every 24 hours and reztore when I reboot router.
Message 7 of 286
iceman83726
Tutor

Same problem here. R7900P dropping internet. Modem is fine. Just need to reboot R7900P. Problem happens once almost everyday. Very annoying. Just updated firmware to v1.3.0.4_1.1.96. Will observe for a few more days.

Message 8 of 286
iceman83726
Tutor

Observing more, I think there are two types of problems.

1. Router is in weird state and cannot connect to Internet and router is aware of it.

In this case, router page (192.168.1.1) shows internet is not connected. Even though no action is taken from user, the router runs some timer (few minutes I think) and either fixes the problem or silently resets and Internet connection is recovered.

2. Router is in weird state and cannot connect to Internet but router is not aware of it.

In this case, router page (192.168.1.1) shows internet is connected. Since the router thinks there is no problem, it takes no action and Internet connection is never recovered.

Message 9 of 286
iceman83726
Tutor

I hope someone at Netgear will respond to this.

Message 10 of 286
user12272017
Tutor

I have exactly the same problem 

it's so annoying Smiley Sad((

I have the latest fw (V1.3.0.4_1.1.96), same issue with or without smart connect.

another workaround how to fix the internet, go to Basic > internet and click on the "test" button 

Message 11 of 286
HWAM
Apprentice

Netgear has a big problem. A lot of people are having a problem. Especially the nighthawk routers. They are trying to fix it with beta firmwares but without success. Even a reset and an old firmware isn't fixing it. I am busy for two weeks now. Hopeless. Buy another brand and forget Netgear. See all the R7000 posts!
Message 12 of 286
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Also see all R8000 model posts
Message 13 of 286
anand_mishra
Guide

Mine is also droping every few days. it's anooying. Any update? 

or i will return to costco

FW:  V1.3.0.8_1.2.1

Message 14 of 286
user12272017
Tutor

I feel like the latest fw V1.3.0.8_1.2.1 has less issues 

but what would be nice to have in the meantime and until they come up with a real fix, it's to have a sort of scheduler, that would mimic the "test internet" functionality, that way I could set it up, let's say at 2am every day, to avoid having that issue. (hopefully someone from the NETGEAR team is looking into this thread)

netgear_router.PNG

Message 15 of 286
danderleie
Aspirant

Just adding another comment to note another user with the same problem...

Message 16 of 286
jblankev
Guide

I have exactly the same problem since Christmas time...I tried with the firmware upgrade to v1.1.0.12_1.0.96, but issue even got worse, intenet available for not more than a few hours, wirless devices and PCs dropping off one by one and I can not log in to the router anymore. But all leds are white and my wired PC still indicates it has internet connection, which in fact it does not.This is also a router bought in November. I have also a R7000 (older) router with firmware v1.0.9.18_1.2.27 which is running fine. @Netgear: please suggest quick resolution or otherwise, can I swap my router to one that is from before November?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 17 of 286
jblankev
Guide

I installed an older version formware, v1.3.0.8_1.0.93 (current version from website) three hours ago and everything is still working....I will let you know if this is still the case over the next couple of days.

Message 18 of 286
Wsunate
Tutor

Adding another user with the same experience.

Mine also reconnected itself even though it thought it was connected all along.

Called Netgear support today; they had me try resetting which as with everyone else, got it back on line. 

Third time in a week it has disconnected itself so similar to other users. If it continues, back to Costco it goes and I'll go with the ASUS router instead.

Bummer as the router is great when it works and the wireless fixed all the deadspots in my house (even when it's not connected to the internet lol)

Message 19 of 286
itsadoug
Initiate

Just adding one more to the list.  My R7900P is doing the same thing.  Hoping for a fix soon.  Interestingly enough I replaced an R6200 that was dropping the internet once every couple months.  Really took a step backwards on this one....except it is faster.  Netgear...please fix soon or it's also going back to Costco.

Message 20 of 286
jblankev
Guide

Unfortunately mine dropped just now (so it was working for 1,5 day...) and I had to power off and on again. @Netgear: any news on this?

Message 21 of 286
user12272017
Tutor

It sucks there is no "software" solution for a daily reboot 

as an option, we can use a smart outlet to setup a timer for the reboot 

too bad that we have to spend extra money to have that feature, which IMHO would be easy to implement. the FW already has a scheduler to block access, couldn't it be extended for a reboot ?

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Electrical-Anywhere-Assistant-Required/dp/B0789R5YL3/ref=sr_1_9?s=la...

Message 22 of 286
jblankev
Guide

2 days later.. I had to power off and on 5 times....no reactions from Netgear in this community...

Message 23 of 286
Maxumboat
Aspirant

I have the same router and I wish mine would last a few days. Mine is dropping off about every 10 minutes... driving me crazy. If neatgear doesn't come up with a fix soon, best buy will be getting it back.
Message 24 of 286
anand_mishra
Guide

My guess netgear is clueless.

Can someone suggest me other good routers? Unfortunatly, I have not worked with any other brand in last 15 years so any recomedation here will be appriciated.

Message 25 of 286
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E