R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

Re: R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

@Aloof wrote:
All 3 channels have been stable. Shocking.

Time to complain!

Looking at release notes for this device, I notice that they recently added support for auto-updates. There are two schools of thought on that: some believe that they are an essential way of maintaining security; others insist that they are dangerous and run the risk of killing a router.

You decide, but if you want to control things yourself, and perhaps prevent another meltdown, you might want to check to see if auto-update is enabled on your router.

I don't know if it turns itself on by default or what the settings are during setup of a new router.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 226 of 286
SlimIAm87
Aspirant

.85 is working so well for me right now. No disconnects for about 1 month now.

I'm afraid of changing and testing other firmwares. I think I'll wait a few more weeks to see which version works best for everyone else.
Message 227 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Have been successfully running1.4.1.23_1.2.20 for a solid 2 weeks.   Here's hopin'

Bob

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 228 of 286
sli6000cn
Aspirant

Hi Bob,

In your last update 1.4.1.23_1.2.20 is a typo - you mean 1.4.1.24_1.2.20 for a solid 2 weeks,right?

I found v1.4.1.24.1.2.20 in below link:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059558/R7900P-Firmware-Version-1-4-1-24

Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7900P/R7900P_V1.4.1.24_1.2.20.zip

Message 229 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

You are correct.  The correct version is 1.4.1.24_1.2.20.

Just a quick question for all;  has anyone had any issues with the 2.4ghz wireless such as slow or slower speeds, weaker signals on the firmware referenced above?  Reason I am asking is that I am doing some personal tests with some newer wireless devices and want to isolate any issues with either my devices or the router.

Thanks

Message 230 of 286
Aloof
Guide

I have noticed slow speeds with the 2.4GHz channel - which is a real problem considering some older devices can only run on 2.4.  No problems with either 5GHz channel. 

Also, been running about 6 weeks with no issue, other than slow 2.4 channel. 

Message 231 of 286
mreg376
Guide

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?

Message 232 of 286
myersw
Master

@mreg376 wrote:

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?

Thanks for the laugh. Yes that fits perfectly with folks experience with the newer firmware IMHO. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 233 of 286
mreg376
Guide

People are really twisting all logic into a pretzel in order to justify keeping these devices.  Meanwhile, I was at Costco yesterday and they're still for sale!

Message 234 of 286
myersw
Master

@mreg376 wrote:

People are really twisting all logic into a pretzel in order to justify keeping these devices.  Meanwhile, I was at Costco yesterday and they're still for sale!

Sucker born every minute they say. Smiley Wink 

My expience with a r8000p and r8000 really soured me on Netgear. Had a hard time justifying a r7800 in my future. However, it ran well with LEDE on it before I got the Unifi Security Gateway ,USG, and now runs well with Voxel as an AP. The USG is really pushing me toward all Unifi for network, wired and wireless. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 235 of 286
mkgostan
Tutor

I noticed that the most-recent responses here are from last month -- are you all still having trouble with the latest firmware release (1.4.1.24?)

My router is about 2 months old and has consistently required a daily power cycle after the first week, so last night after I'd had enough I decided to upgrade the firmware to see if a newer release would fix it.  Boy, was I wrong...

1.4.1.24 completely killed all connectivity.  Network strength was great, including both wireless and LAN, but there was no internet connectivity whatsoever on the 2.4ghz or either 5ghz connections.  I ended up downgrading to 1.3.0.10_1.2.2 and that worked for about 10 minutes and then completely stopped, so I ordered a Google WiFi with hopes that I'm sacrificing speed for a stable connection.  I think I had 1.3.0.8 installed before installing 1.4.1.24 but decided to take the shot.

The worst part is that I bought the R7900P to replace a Netgear R6400-100NAS because that device's 5ghz channels weren't working -- another firmware issue, I'm sure.

I'd like to keep this router if Netgear will release stable firmware... call me an optimist but I'm holding out hope that they'll actually redeem themselves.

Message 236 of 286
SlimIAm87
Aspirant

R7900P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 no disconnects for almost 3 months. My router has literally just sat there and has ran fine.

Message 237 of 286
mkgostan
Tutor

Sweet!  I just downloaded the package and will try that version when I get home.  It's surprising that a release from Oct. 2017 is the one that works haha.

Message 238 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Keep us posted with your results. I have been switching between .85 and .12.20.  I had experienced some 2.4ghz issues the first time I installed it, but this time it seems stable (3 weeks).  All user inputs are welcome.

Bob

Message 239 of 286
HotWhls55
Guide

As an earlier frequent poster when the first spoiled firmware update came out... I'd be very interested to learn if there's a more recent/latest firmware which is solid. 

I'm currently (still) running: v1.1.4.6_1.1.85.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 240 of 286
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@myersw, @tvbob
Hi Bill.
Sorry for being absent in months. I'm not forgetting the troublesome router model that you sold because I was busy with other project.
As far as fw, I " think" may be they are coming up with something much better, but be patient as I warned them against releasing too early and too optimistically that they think all problems solved. No, not yet, but I know it is much, much better in terms of keeping steady internet connection....
I hope they will have it release soon
..Best
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 241 of 286
SlimIAm87
Aspirant

I wonder what netgear engineers do all day? I'm legitimately asking. I'm surprised this issue has lasted so long and they can't figured out a way to fix it yet it works with .85.

Message 242 of 286
myersw
Master

@TerryPh wrote:
@myersw, @tvbob
Hi Bill.
Sorry for being absent in months. I'm not forgetting the troublesome router model that you sold because I was busy with other project.
As far as fw, I " think" may be they are coming up with something much better, but be patient as I warned them against releasing too early and too optimistically that they think all problems solved. No, not yet, but I know it is much, a much better in terms of keeping steady internet connection....
I hope they will have it release soon
..Best

No problem was wondering how things were going. Have seen a couple of posts by you on the forums. Glad things seem to be looking up in the r8000p department. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 243 of 286
myersw
Master

@SlimIAm87 wrote:
I wonder what netgear engineers do all day? I'm legitimately asking. I'm surprised this issue has lasted so long and they can't figured out a way to fix it yet it works with .85.

I think they may be in Taiwan in which case playing "Go". Sure not working on code.

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 244 of 286
SlickTide1
Aspirant

I recently purchased this R7900P from Costco.  Dropped internet at least once a day.  Upgraded firmware, didn’t solve problem.  Took it back and exchanged for another one, thinking I just got a bad one.  Second router did the exact same thing.  Finally read and put an old firmware from last year on it.  1.1.4.6.  Works fine now.  Why can’t they fix this issue?  Worried these newer firmwares might have security fixes that I can’t use.  

Message 245 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Hi Slick,

The router firmware has been an issue for a year.  May I suggest that you try v 1.4.6_1.1.85.  Most users have found this version to be very stable.   I am currently evaluating the current release V1.4.1.24_1.2.20.  It has been solid for almost one month since installation.   Just curious which version that you had repeatedly crash on you?

Message 246 of 286
myersw
Master

IMHO Netgear doesn't know what they are doing. It is like they farmed out the firmware to some firm that does not have a clue. I sold my r8000 and r8000p due to firmware issues with to fix in site, nor even any improvements. 

I would take back any Netgear product while still in the return window and purchase something else. This is being said by a person who used to think NG was the go to vendor. Not any more!! The one NG product left is a r7800 running Voxel in AP mode. When I get the money together that will be replaced with Ubiquiti Unifi AP. My Unifi gateway just runs and provides a ton of traffic info. Too bad Netgear cannot provide a solid product like it. Guess that is part of the difference between consumer and business class products. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 247 of 286

@myersw wrote:

It is like they farmed out the firmware to some firm that does not have a clue. 

Netgear does firmware in house, but it has to work with the chipset makers who create the underlying bits that all router makers use.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 248 of 286
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@myersw wrote:

It is like they farmed out the firmware to some firm that does not have a clue. 

Netgear does firmware in house, but it has to work with the chipset makers who create the underlying bits that all router makers use.

I am well aware of them being tied to the chipset makers. It would appear that Netgear really needs to lean on Broadcomm as that seems to be the one with the most firmware issues, even when you load DD-WRT you have similar issues and I know that Brainslayer has a license from them to use their binary blobs. Still it should not take months, or in some cases close to a year to get decent firmware. Firmware I load on the Asus rt-ac86u I own works, both OEM and Merlin for example. They have the same chipset maker issues. 

It also feels to be like the firmware folks whether in house or not, do not have a clue as to how to fix. Why is it that Voxel can fix things that they seem clueless on like displaying devices? I think they view Voxel as a pain rather then a resource which is too bad. Asus seems to be trying to push RMerlin out as well. 

As I stated before I will not buy nor will I recommend Netgear. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 249 of 286

@myersw wrote:

As I stated before I will not buy nor will I recommend Netgear. 

Doubtless there will not be a massive sell-off of shares.

Just another user.

Message 250 of 286
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E