R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

tvbob
Apprentice

Re: R7900P dropping internet requiring reset every few days

Hi,

I don't recall having a router related firmware problem (resets/etc) in months...   Not sure what prompted your reply to me at this time.

Bob

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 276 of 286
Dennispo
Aspirant

OK. I had a Netgear N900 for years and it never went down. I finally upgraded to AC3000.  All went well for 2 days then it dropped. I have the latest firmware as of Feb 2019. I went through all kinds of issues with linksys and finally went to Netgear N900 and absolutely loved it.  I saw someone say to disable "smart Connect".  Does it work OK with no drops with  Smart Connect disabled?  How long has it been running with Smart Connect Disables and were there drops?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 277 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Hi,

Not sure why you are posting here... as this board is for the R7900P , but with that said, if it is working...don't screw with it...

Words to the wise...

Bob

Message 278 of 286

@Dennispo wrote:

OK. I had a Netgear N900 for years and it never went down. I finally upgraded to AC3000. 

N900 and AC3000 are not Netgear model numvers. They are wifi speed indicators.

I assume that the R7900 is accurate. (There are other AC3000 devices.)

There is support for the R7900 series, including manuals, somewhere at the end of these links:

>>>> R7900 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

>>>> Nighthawk X6S R7900P | AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support <<<<

They explain what Smart Connect does.

@Dennispo wrote:

I have the latest firmware as of Feb 2019.

Without a  number, we don't know that. There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

@Dennispo wrote:

All went well for 2 days then it dropped.

What "dropped"? The wifi? The internet connection?

What did the LEDs look like on the front when this happened?

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

By the way, you have joined in on an older discussion that is well over a year old. So there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 279 of 286
Dennispo
Aspirant

Sorry Guys.  I do have a R7900P.  Only reason I mentioned the other router was that I was so impressed by the old Netgear router that I only considered netgear when it came to upgrade.  Yes after 2 days of great response throughout the house I suddenly was not able to get on the internet.  my computers showed no internet available.  I reset the modem still no internet available.  I could not get into the admin login on the router until I did a power off/on reset.  I do have the latest firmware V1.4.1.30_1.2.26 .

I saw 2 things on this forum that I want to try before returning the router to Costco for a TP Link.  1) do a hard factory reset   2) Turn off "Smart Connect" .  My questions to the members that did do those things is  "Did either or both of these ultimately fix the problem or did it only work for a few days and start dropping out again?"  

Message 280 of 286
tvbob
Apprentice

Good morning,

Based on my own experience (and participating as a beta tester on this issue for over a year), I have found the most recent version V1.4.1.30_1.2.26   to be solid.  It has run continuously for over 60 days intil we had a power failure...  

My suggestion is that you install the latest firmware and do not mess with any of the settings.  While everyone has their own opinion on what should be on or off or tweaked, I have been very successful letting the Netgear Genie go the install and leaving it alone.

May I also suggest a bit of troubleshooting in the event of a future failure:

First thing would be to confirm that the modem is, in fact, pushing a signal to the router.  Simple to do by taking an RJ-45 cable directly from the modem to a computer and see if it works.  Second test would be to reconnect the router to the modem and see if the router connects thru a wired port.

If  the modem is good snd the router is bad, you have two immediate choices.   First one is to call Netgear tech support.   Second choice is to go to Costco and return / exchange the router.

Hope that this info  helps..

Keep us posted..

Bob

Message 281 of 286
Dennispo
Aspirant

OK, I did a full factory reset.  I changed my admin password . I logined to the router and from the GUI,  I changed My SSID to what I wanted., and network password.  I left Smart Connect OFF.   The Firmware version currently is V1.4.1.30_1.2.26. I did not change anything else.   I will now see if the router stays up with no problem.

Message 282 of 286
earroyave
Star

I am running firmware 1.4.1.30_1.2.26 which is supposed to be the latest available and have noticed this described behavior which happens every few days or so.  What I finally noticed is that the wifi connections "stop" working if trying access anything in the Internet that requires the DNS service - the clients are configured to pull the DNS information from the router.  However, if I manually add a DNS server to the client, then everything works as intended.  This leads me to believe that it is the DNS service on the router that gets all messed up after some time.

The next thing I tried was to access the front end of the router via routerlogin.net which of course will not resolve and so I tried the IP address.  The front end would not load until I did a reboot of the router whcih would indicate that the web server service on the router ALSO had died.

The question is whether there is a way to ssh into the router and restart these services which would be less drastic than rebooting the router and waiting for the network to stabilize afterwards.  Or get a firmware update that is more stable.  I do really expect more from this router!

Message 283 of 286

This long running discussion is now all over the place. You might get a more focused response if you started afresh. If nothing else, you would stand a better chance of catching the eye of the Netgear team.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 284 of 286
Rezapci_
Aspirant

My router keep dropping The internet before and after firmware update...
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 285 of 286

@Rezapci_ wrote:
My router keep dropping The internet before and after firmware update...

That's right. If you update the firmware on a device it will  go off line. In the process you and lose the Internet connection, while it updates the router's memory with the new firmware. It will also disrupt everything else on your network. So do the update when it is convenient.

Just another user.

Message 286 of 286
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E