Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7900P firmware 1.3.0.8_1.2.1 proxy settings problem with Wordpress Admin running Wordfence

mattgray
Aspirant

R7900P firmware 1.3.0.8_1.2.1 proxy settings problem with Wordpress Admin running Wordfence

It seems the Netgear Nighthawk R7900P is not a true pass through router for directly connected PCs.

Anyone else having any conflicts with using the X7900P with a Wordpress (WP) site Admin panel protected by a Wordfence plugin?  After hours on the phone with the ISP and Netgear customer service, it seems the R7900P is not a true pass through router, and the proxy settings might be causing a delay for which the ISP server times out.  (One theory is the delay is related to certain features surrounding .php executables as used by the Wordfence plugin.)

The specific problem is that upon logging into the WP site, the Admin panel is gone and replaced by a blank white page with only menu links on the left side.  All links are slow to resolve, and interactive hover features are gone.  Certain updates to Admin features are also timed out.

When I put the PC in front of the router to connect directly to my ISP and access the Wordpress Admin, everything words perfectly.

Unsuccessful strategies to fix this so far, have been:
1) updated router firmware
2) complete wipe of the site and SQL database, fresh install and including all updates
3) static IP assigned by ISP
4) ISP increased allowed serve lag time for time outs
5) Advanced>Setup>LAN Setup>+Add address Reservation>assigned unique IP to the PC
6) Advanced>Setup>WAN Setup>NAD filtering> disable SIP ALG
7) Advanced>Setup>Internet Setup> tried both static and dynamic Internet IP Address and Domain Name Service (DNS) Address changes/options
😎 Change Wordpress themes

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7900P firmware 1.3.0.8_1.2.1 proxy settings problem with Wordpress Admin running Wordfence

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
ckandrew04
Aspirant

My internet's been dying with the 1.3.0.8_1.2.1 version so I'm trying out the one before, 1.3.0.4_1.1.96

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 2 of 8
antinode
Guru

> It seems the Netgear Nighthawk R7900P is not a true pass through
> router for directly connected PCs.

Define "true pass through router" and "directly connected".  These
routers are NAT gateways, which may not qualify as "true pass-through",
depending on what that means to you.

> [...] Wordpress (WP) site Admin panel protected by a Wordfence plugin
> [...]

I know approximately nothing about WordPress (except that my
non-WordPress site gets bombarded by people/programs looking for
WordPress-related insecurity exploits).  Does this stuff use any ports
other than the usual web-browser/server 80 and 443?

> The specific problem is that upon logging into the WP site, [...]

"logging into the WP site" from where?  From within your LAN, or from

the outside world?

> When I put the PC in front of the router to connect directly to my ISP
> and access the Wordpress Admin, everything words perfectly.

"the PC" is where the WordPress server runs, or where your web
browser runs, or what?  What does "in front of the router" mean?  What
does "directly to my ISP" mean?  Who is your "my ISP"?  How much
equipment is being used other than the R7900P?  What, exactly, is
connected to what, exactly?  If you are cascading multiple routers
(including a device like a cable modem+router), then you could be seeing
"double NAT" problems.

Message 3 of 8
mattgray
Aspirant

I'll put it another way, I just reconnected my WNR 3500 as a true pass through, and then set the R7900P to a Wireless AP, and then connected everything else by ethernet connection to the WNR 3500.  Problem solved.  I can now log into the remote WP admin site (by internet from my home PC), and get all of the features/proxy settings that was being blocked by the R7900P.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi mattgray,

Have you tried putting the IP address of the PC to DMZ on the router?

Message 5 of 8
mattgray
Aspirant

Thank you.  Yes I did.  Customer service and I went through that step, but it did not resolve the issue.

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi mattgray,

Have you tried putting the IP address of the PC to DMZ on the router?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi mattgray,

Please try this firmware version.

https://kb.netgear.com/000053888/R7900P-Firmware-Version-1-3-0-10

Message 7 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi mattgray,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7