R7900P not showing all attached devices

ejdalise
Aspirant

R7900P not showing all attached devices

So, very annoying. Neither the phone app nor the direct connection via a PC (Windows 10) shows all the devices that are connected to the WiFi.

This is a concern because if I cannot see it, I can't manage attached devices.

I've read the few threads about this issue that basically say "that's tough; should have bought something else because NetGear ain't gonna fix it".

Yes, I have all the latest updates both on the phone and the PC and I have the latest firmware (with its annoying reminder to buy the premium security).

Bottom line, there is no official word about resolving this issue and the user community has no suggestion other than, you know, live with it.

Methinks this will be the last NetGear router I buy (and I might not keep this one much longer).

I'm posting this here in case someone else is about to spend a few hours researching this issue. To that unfortunate soul I say this: don't bother.

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: R7900P not showing all attached devices

What version of the firmware are you on? (an actual number)

What modem are you connected to? 

The newest firmware isn't always the best. Sometimes when they add sevices (like netgear armor) it causes issues elsewhere. Sometimes its fixed by simply resetting back to factory and resetting up the router. 

Other times, a downgrade to an earlier firmware can help it function they way you want it. 

I'd try the reset first and if doesn't fix it, to try downgrading the firmwar.e 

anytime you change firmware, its best to do over a hardwired connection. 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 4
ejdalise
Aspirant

I appreciate the attempt at helping, but I'm not sure how these steps resolve the underlying problem.

v1.4.1.50

Netgear CM1100 (although I don't know why that would matter because the modem is on the other side of the router relative to the devices).

Two things with downgrading:

1) why release a new firmware which necessitate the user not using it?

2) which version should I downgrade to?

Two things with resetting the router to factory defaults:

1) it confirms that it's a software issue if it works, so it should be addressed there.

2) All this started because I know there are more devices connected than what it's shown . . . how exactly would I know if that solves the problem? 

You see, I looked into this because I had a device show up that I didn't recognize (still don't, so I blocked it). Then, I realize there were some devices missing. Logic tells me that if the router isn't showing all the devices, I'll never really know if I solved the problem.

Again, I had a connection that I didn't recognize (IoT from somewhere); if I can't trust the device to show me all of the connections, how will I know if I can see all the connections, including some IoT connections I don't want?

I'm setting up an "allowed devices" list and hope that the router adheres to the list even though some of the allowed devices don't show up . . . but I still won't know if something is connecting until I have confidence I can see everything connectd . . . which at this point, said confidence is lacking.

Again, I appreciate the attempt at helping, but I'm not sure how one regains confidence in something once it's shown to not reliably act like it's supposed to. It's the old "lie to me once, and I'll forever wonder if you're lying to me again" thing.

Thanks, ejd

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@ejdalise wrote:

I appreciate the attempt at helping, but I'm not sure how these steps resolve the underlying problem.

v1.4.1.50

Netgear CM1100 (although I don't know why that would matter because the modem is on the other side of the router relative to the devices).---You'd be surprised at how many people run a modem/router combo device and then a router. And it can cause devices connected to the combo devices to not show on the router. 

Two things with downgrading:

1) why release a new firmware which necessitate the user not using it?-----The vast majority of firmwares work fine. There's a certain amount though that are going to have issues. It could be because parts are sourced from different suppliers or even just a certain arrangement of settings causes issues. Tough to tell. but some do have issues. When it happens, usually a reset is a decent place to start as it erases the settings. If it doesn't fix it, then a downgrade can sometimes help. 

2) which version should I downgrade to?  I would try version 1.4.1.42.  Its the version prior to Netgear armor being added. Armor made significant changes that many devices struggled with. 

Two things with resetting the router to factory defaults:

1) it confirms that it's a software issue if it works, so it should be addressed there.----Or an old setting from the change to Armor caused the issues. 

2) All this started because I know there are more devices connected than what it's shown . . . how exactly would I know if that solves the problem? -----Basically to try the reset and if not, to try the downgrade. It could fix the issue. 

You see, I looked into this because I had a device show up that I didn't recognize (still don't, so I blocked it). Then, I realize there were some devices missing. Logic tells me that if the router isn't showing all the devices, I'll never really know if I solved the problem.

Again, I had a connection that I didn't recognize (IoT from somewhere); if I can't trust the device to show me all of the connections, how will I know if I can see all the connections, including some IoT connections I don't want?

I'm setting up an "allowed devices" list and hope that the router adheres to the list even though some of the allowed devices don't show up . . . but I still won't know if something is connecting until I have confidence I can see everything connectd . . . which at this point, said confidence is lacking.

Again, I appreciate the attempt at helping, but I'm not sure how one regains confidence in something once it's shown to not reliably act like it's supposed to. It's the old "lie to me once, and I'll forever wonder if you're lying to me again" thing.

Thanks, ejd

Firmwares aren't perfect. google R7000 firmware and you'll find many issues.

All manufacturers have issues with them. 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E