Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7900P with 3rd Generation Nest Thermostat

Matt_B
Aspirant

R7900P with 3rd Generation Nest Thermostat

I recently upgraded from a Netgear R6900P wifi to a Netgear R7900P router (both purchased from Costco). I have have had a 3rd Generation Nest Thermostat for 2 years, and have never had any issues with the R6900P router. The thermostat connected to the R6900P router and operated with the ios app and nest home page right out of the box - no special setting necessary.

With my R7900P router, I can connect the thermostat to the wifi network, but the thermostat can't communicate with the nest servers (I think), so I am unable to control the thermostat with with the ios app and nest home page. When I switch the router from router mode to access point mode, I am able to control the thermostat and everything works fine, so I think there is an issue with the router's firewall settings.

Can someone please help me with the router settings? I assume I need to do something with port forwarding/triggering, but don't know which ports or specifically what I need to do with my settings. I am on DSL, and my router is connected to an Aciontec GT701D modem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Matt

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Matt_B
Aspirant

Antinode -

Thanks for the quick response and my apologies for not being more clear in my description of my setup. Based on your comments, I did a little more searching and found that the problem was that my GT701D modem/router was not in bridge mode. Once I fixed that, I was able to control the nest thermostat remotely - problem solved.

Below is a more complete desription of my setup, initial problems, and path to the solution in case someone else is experiencing similar problems.

I am on Frontier DSL. Previously, I had a Frontier branded Netgear 7750 router/wifi modem set to bridge mode. The bridged modem was connected to a Netgear R6900P wifi router. The Nest thermostat was connected to the wifi network, and I was able to control the thermostat remotely without any additional changes to the router settings.

A few weeks ago, I started to experience internet drops (devices stayed connected to wifi, but there was no connection from the router to the internet). Sometimes a router reboot would restore internet connectivity, sometimes I would have to reboot the router and the modem. The frequency of the internet drops increased so that at times it would be about every 10 minutes.

I replaced the Netgear R6900P with a Netgear R7900P router. The R7900P router was behind the bridged 7550 modem/router, and the R6900P was completely disconnected. I also replaced the DSL filter. The internet drops continued.

I bought an Actiontec GT701D modem on eBay for $15. I set it up with the R7900P router behind it, and the internet drops stopped. Everything seemed to work fine until I connected my nest themostat to the wifi network. The thermostat would connect to the wifi, but I couldn't control the thermostat remotely unless I switched the R7900P router from router mode to access point mode.

My mistake was not putting the GT701D in bridge mode. The modem only has one ethernet port and no wifi capability, so I incorrectly thought it was just at modem and not a modem/router, as pointed out above. I didn't think it had a bridge mode, and didn't see it during the initial setup.  Once I changed the GT701D settings from PPPoE to bridge mode, the problem with the thermostat was solved.

Thanks again for the help. I hope this summary is helpful for anyone else having similar problems. If something is missing/incorrect or need clarification, let me know and I will do my best to fill in the blanks.

-Matt

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] The thermostat connected to the R6900P router and operated with
> the ios app and nest home page right out of the box - no special setting
> necessary. [...]

Given no information about how these two routers are connected to
what, I'll guess that the R6900P is the one closer to your ISP
connection (modem).

> With my R7900P router, [...] When I switch the router from router mode
> to access point mode, I am able to control the thermostat and
> everything works fine, so I think there is an issue with the router's
> firewall settings.

Configuring the inner router as a wireless access point is probably
the best way to avoid problems like this, caused by cascading multiple
routers, as I assume you were doing.  Having demonstrated this, why not
take the hint?

> [...] my router is connected to an Aciontec GT701D modem.

Which "my router" is that?  Note that the Actiontec GT701D is actualy
a modem+router, so, unless you have it in a modem-only ("bridge") mode,
I'd expect you to have more trouble with only one more router, let alone
two more.

> [...] I assume I need to do something with port forwarding/triggering,
> but don't know which ports or specifically what I need to do with my
> settings. [...]

You might be able to make something work that way, but its not the
easy way.

What are the WAN/Internet IP addresses for these two routers (R6900P
and R7900P)?  ADVANCED > ADVANCED Home : Internet Port : Internet IP
Address.  If one of those does not look like "10.0.x.y" or
"192.168.x.y", then you might want to report only its first two octets
("a.b" out of "a.b.c.d").

Or, is the R7900P a replacement for the R6900P, and the R6900P is no
longer connected?  Again, a clear description of what's connected to
what might help.

Message 2 of 4
Matt_B
Aspirant

Antinode -

Thanks for the quick response and my apologies for not being more clear in my description of my setup. Based on your comments, I did a little more searching and found that the problem was that my GT701D modem/router was not in bridge mode. Once I fixed that, I was able to control the nest thermostat remotely - problem solved.

Below is a more complete desription of my setup, initial problems, and path to the solution in case someone else is experiencing similar problems.

I am on Frontier DSL. Previously, I had a Frontier branded Netgear 7750 router/wifi modem set to bridge mode. The bridged modem was connected to a Netgear R6900P wifi router. The Nest thermostat was connected to the wifi network, and I was able to control the thermostat remotely without any additional changes to the router settings.

A few weeks ago, I started to experience internet drops (devices stayed connected to wifi, but there was no connection from the router to the internet). Sometimes a router reboot would restore internet connectivity, sometimes I would have to reboot the router and the modem. The frequency of the internet drops increased so that at times it would be about every 10 minutes.

I replaced the Netgear R6900P with a Netgear R7900P router. The R7900P router was behind the bridged 7550 modem/router, and the R6900P was completely disconnected. I also replaced the DSL filter. The internet drops continued.

I bought an Actiontec GT701D modem on eBay for $15. I set it up with the R7900P router behind it, and the internet drops stopped. Everything seemed to work fine until I connected my nest themostat to the wifi network. The thermostat would connect to the wifi, but I couldn't control the thermostat remotely unless I switched the R7900P router from router mode to access point mode.

My mistake was not putting the GT701D in bridge mode. The modem only has one ethernet port and no wifi capability, so I incorrectly thought it was just at modem and not a modem/router, as pointed out above. I didn't think it had a bridge mode, and didn't see it during the initial setup.  Once I changed the GT701D settings from PPPoE to bridge mode, the problem with the thermostat was solved.

Thanks again for the help. I hope this summary is helpful for anyone else having similar problems. If something is missing/incorrect or need clarification, let me know and I will do my best to fill in the blanks.

-Matt

Message 3 of 4
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@Matt_B

Make sure to update the R7900P to newest fw available recently 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7900P/R7900P-V1.4.1.30_1.2.26.zip

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats