Re: R7900p - Unable to edit Access Control after update V1.4.0.10_1.2.14

Ken451
Aspirant

R7900p - Unable to edit Access Control after update V1.4.0.10_1.2.14

Before editBefore editAfter clicking applyAfter clicking apply

After updating  a Nighthawk X6 7900P to V1.4.0.10_1.2.14 I can no longer edit the Access control menu (Advanced/Security/Access Control.  I have a list of allowed devices listed many of them don't list the name of the device.  Once I identify the device by MAC address I used to edit the device name so I could quickly identify what was what.  After this update any browser I use says "Access denied" after clicking Apply.  Other changes  I apply in other menus work fine.  Anybody have any ideas?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
TigerTiger
Tutor

I know that you are refrring to the "p" version of the R7900.  Mine is the non-P R7900.

I just updated my firmware and the Access Control list is hardly filled.  I'm not using the Genie, I'm logged into the router.

I can see this:

View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network

which contains all of my other devices (lots of them), but I can't seem to add them back. 

It looks like you should be able to click all of them and press add but that takes you a device name/MAC address page.  When I tried to add one device manually using this, it said "duplicate."

So are they actually allowed, just not populating the list?

Something is really  wrong here.

Thanks, all.

Message 2 of 7
TigerTiger
Tutor

Should mention that I had just upgraded  to today 6/24/2018: 

Firmware Version 
V1.0.2.16_10.0.32

Message 3 of 7
Ken451
Aspirant

You must frst enable access control before you can select and attempt to edit anything in that list.
Message 4 of 7
TigerTiger
Tutor

Thanks for responding. 

Access Control is enabled.  I think that is the default setting.  This is avery confusing feature.

I have nothing on my "blocked list," but many devices on the allowed list that don't appear to be connected.  Will they connect as I use them?

In the Help section it says turning off Access Conrol allows all devices to connect. Should I turn it off?

Thanks.

Router Help Section:

Access Control Help

You can use Access Control to allow or block computer or electronic devices from accessing your network. When a device is blocked, it would only be able to get an IP address from your router, but it won't be able to communicate with other devices, nor it would be able to connect to the Internet.

To enable Access Control:

Select Turn on Access Control check box. Selecting this check box lets you block or allow computers or electronic devices from accessing your network. You have to select this check box before you can specify an Access Rule and use the Allow and Block buttons. When this check box is cleared, all devices are allowed to connect, even if the device is in the blocked list.

Message 5 of 7
Ken451
Aspirant

Re: R7900p - Unable to edit Access Control after update V1.4.0.10_1.2.14 ****Work Around****

I've found an accectable (to me) work arounf to this problem. 

Go to the Basic tab and click on Attached Devices.  From there you can select the device you want to edit.  The only thing you can't do is change the MAC address. 

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 6 of 7
iamxquisite
Aspirant

The same thing has happened to me. 

Before I did the firmware update everything was working fine when it came down to access control. I could block anyone (kids) when they would not pay attention for whatever reason.

Since the update, I can still see the access control and select to "Block" them. The thing is it never blocks anyone no matter if they are blocked or not.

Everyone is still allowed to use the internet.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E