Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7960P firmware not upgrading

Alex2019
Initiate

I am having problems with my router, I want to do the firmware update, but it does reboot again to say there is an update.

Message 26 of 288
Zero_c00l
Star

@IdahoScott agreed, this is ridicilous. Don't reset your router, somebody already tried it and it did not work.

Message 27 of 288
IdahoScott
Apprentice

Alex, that's called a "feature", not a problem.  Smiley Frustrated

My 2 cents:  If you aren't experiencing problems without the update, forget about it.   Ignore the "update available" nag message. Eventually, Netgear will release a new update which (probably) will work. 

If you ARE having problems with the router, if it's under warranty, send it back.  If not under warrenty, try rolling back to a previous update (look it up, down load the file, connect to the router via ethernet wire, and upload/apply old update from Administrator tools).  If that works, make sure you turn off the "automatic update" switch in those same Admin tools.

Other than that, if out of warranty and the router is "not working", time to buy a new one.  ("Not working" or "problems" is a wide open category.  If something's wrong because you've mis-configured the router, resetting it to defaults may fix the problem for you, too.  Resetting is your "hail Mary pass", i.e. or, "if all else fails" thingy.  If it doesn't work after that, your router is probably bricked.)

Good luck to ya.

@Alex2019 wrote:

I am having problems with my router, I want to do the firmware update, but it does reboot again to say there is an update.

Message 28 of 288
labatt
Mentor

I agree. Follow that old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Lots of folks take a working router and try through the auto update or app and wind up with a paper weight untll doing a tftp. 

Message 29 of 288
antinode
Guru

> [...] Follow that old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". [...]

Define "broke".  If someone discovers a serious security problem with
my router, then I'd prefer to get less insecure firmware installed on it
_before_ someone exploits the serious security problem with my router,
and I suffer some undesirable consequences.

"Your tires are worn down to the cord, and really need to be
   replaced."

"I don't trust those new tires.  I'm waiting for a blowout on the
   highway first."

Your choice, of course.

Message 30 of 288
labatt
Mentor

Been driving for 60 years. No blowout yet. Trick is to know when something is broken. Of course if there is a major secuirity flaw you should update, but so often there is now real reason given for an update to the firmware. With the state of poor firmware Netgear is grinding out, if I had a Netgear router I would think twice or maybe three times about updating. 

Message 31 of 288
Goliath60
Guide

I'm just going to go by the adage, "I'll think twice before buying from Netgear again"

Message 32 of 288
Rosieox
Tutor

My R7960P will not update to the V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 firmware.    I was working with the techs on another issue for the Nighthawk phone app.   They sent me a Beta firmware and it updated on the router.  It did not fix the issue for the phone app.  I tried first to update to V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 and it did not work.   I then tried a factory reset, and it still did not update from the Beta firmware.   They sent me a new R7960P.   It will not update to the V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 firmware.   My guess is there is a problem with the R7960P accepting firmware updates.  And for those saying it's not broke so don't worry about fixing it???? It says there are security issues that were fixed in the update. 

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 33 of 288
The_Smurph
Star

Just as a heads up for those trying to roll back to an older firmware, that does not work as well. I tried OTA and hardwired firmware rollbacks and neither way worked. I will definitely been sending my money to ASUS for any future wireless setups.
Message 34 of 288
IdahoScott
Apprentice

I've been watching this guys arrogant replies, on multiple threads.  Obviously, Netgear has no "troll control" on their social media, as well as no software quality control, for their driver software.  Hope the following helps clarify.

For the benefit of the rest of us, "antinode" is a tool.

Fron the Urban dictionary.

Tool: (noun)

1.) A guy with a hugely over-inflated ego, who in an attempt to get un-due attention for himself, will act like a jackass, because, in his deluded state, he will think it's going to make him look cool, or make others want to be like him. The person may even insincerely apologize later on, but only in an attempt to get more attention, or to excuse his blatantly intentional, and unrepentantly tool-ish behavior.

2.) Someone whose ego FAR exceeds his talent, intelligence, and likeability. But, of course, he is clueless regarding that fact. He erroneously thinks he is THE MAN!

3.) Someone who others normally refer to as a **bleep**, **bleep**, or schmuck.

4.) Someone who acts like a **bleep**, because...well...he's compensating.

5.) antinode

Synonym:  See "Internet Troll"

@antinode wrote:

> [...] Follow that old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". [...]

Define "broke".  If someone discovers a serious security problem with
my router, then I'd prefer to get less insecure firmware installed on it
_before_ someone exploits the serious security problem with my router,
and I suffer some undesirable consequences.

"Your tires are worn down to the cord, and really need to be
   replaced."

"I don't trust those new tires.  I'm waiting for a blowout on the
   highway first."

Your choice, of course.

Message 35 of 288
antinode
Guru

> I've been watching this guys arrogant replies, [...]

That's "guy's", but I appreciate your thoughtful criticism.

Message 36 of 288
me_ndskyz
Tutor

If Antinode had anything of value to add to this thread then his TROLL behavior might be tolerated.  As we have seen he has nothing but smarta$$ comments. 

I'm having the same problem.  Went through the upgrade steps several times with no luck.  Typical Netgear

Antinode needs to change his name to AntiSocial

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 37 of 288
Juice_22
Star

I'm having the same issue. I opened a support case 2 weeks ago and support was initially responsive, since last Thursday they have ignored me. I've tried rolling back firmware without luck.  And my 2 5GHz bands will randomly lose the connection.  It's usually the second one that causes me more issues, but it will periodically lose the first 5 GHz band, but I have seen issues with the 2.4GHz band, but that's been very infrequent. I can't believe that their support teams are not helping us.

Message 38 of 288
IdahoScott
Apprentice

You've not really been all that specific about your issue here.   Was your R7900 router working fine, and then stopped after an upgrade attempt.  What firmware version do you have now?   When you say that you've tried rolling back firmware, from which version, to which version.    You also didn't mention how you've been testing, e.g.  what devices you've been connecting via 2.4 versus 5G bands, do they both experience identical problems, are you right next to the router when testing, is it dropping the connect in certain areas of your house, is this a new router, or old?

This thread generally just describes a problem with ONE, single router firmware version:  V1.4.1.50_1.3.10
No one here has spoken of router problems with previous versions, in my case, I'm on V1.4.1.44_1.3.5.
So, I'll make a couple of blanket observations that may or may not help you.

1)  2.4 Ghz bands have a longer range, 5 Ghz, are better, closer to the router.  2.4 Ghz penetrate structures better than 5 Ghz, but 5 Ghz, will always be your faster connection, as long as you CAN connect.  Remember those facts as you test against these bands.
2)  In my experience with cable modems and routers, they last somewhere about 18 months, sometimes twice that, but they definitely degrade over time.  You can see the cable modem problems by reviewing "correctables" and "uncorrectables", as well as power levels on your Admin cable connection utility map.  There isn't an easy way to diagnose router problems, but they all lose range and the ability to hold connections in time, again, this is in my personal, 35 years of experience.  Firmware upgrades don't change that.  Mainly, they plug security holes or add a few new features.
3) I recently upgraded from an R7900 to R7960.   I was having trouble with all my phone and PC/laptop devices.  I didn't have problems with, say my cell phones on public networks, and I had several laptops with the same problem.  I guessed that the R7900 was going south.   So, I first tried a mesh router extender, with no real success, and then went to the R7960, again, with very little improvement.  At that point, I tried a "hail Mary" pass, and bought a new $15 wireless adapter for my laptop.  Well, shazam!   From 10-12 mbps, and an unstable connection, to 220 mbps, with a bulletproof connection.  Then I upgraded our several year old cell phones, and again, 220 mbps from anywhere in the (3000 sq ft, 3 story) house, and out on the street.  Turns out, it was my old devices that were aging out, and the original R7900 router, was doing just fine (though the R7960 is much better).

Moral(s) of the story:  
a) Test with multiple devices.  You can get phone apps, Netgear nighthawk has one, and there's I use called "WiFi Analyzer", that will show your router signal strength in relation to other routers nearby, including channel conflicts.  There's also some that will map your signal strength out all over your house, and help as you adjust the attenas to achive maximum broadcast effective range.  Test near and test far, from the router.

b) Obviously, if you're having problems with a PC/laptop connection, the first test is to eliminate the wireless AND the router.  Connect direclty to the your cable modem, reboot, and verify that you have a good signal (high mbps) to your cable modem.  Second, test by wire from your router to PC; there should be almost no dropoff in MBPS.  (If you do see significant drop off, try swapping your Cat5/6 cable between router and cable modem with a new, CAT6 wire.)

c)  Upgrade to the lastest available firmware before the buggy 1.4.1.50 version.  (You can locate and download a file with that earlier firmware to your PC, then connect to the router via CAT6 wire to your PC, and in the R7900 admin dialogue, under router update, use the "browse" feature to locate, and upload the file (unzip it first)).

d)  If ALL your network devices are old (as mine apparently were), try getting a friend or neighbor with a new phone to test against your router.   PC adapters have firmware updates as well, and you should ensure that you're on the latest version.   If you're using an older laptop, try my $15 solution, i.e. a new USB adapter.   You may ultimately need to upgrade your devices.  Network routers and adapters DEFINITELY have a limited life expectancy.  If if they "work" after years of use, they are probably working degraded, i.e. producing FM waves that are no longer in spec.

If all else fails, pick up a new router, save the receipt, install and test.   If it doesn't fix the problem, return it, and call a professional/cable company for help.  Most cable companies will now send you a combo modem/router, and no longer charge monthly fees (least mine doesn't; they'd prefer to have everyone on their equipment - fewer service calls).

Good luck.  Hope some of this helps you.

@Juice_22 wrote:

I'm having the same issue. I opened a support case 2 weeks ago and support was initially responsive, since last Thursday they have ignored me. I've tried rolling back firmware without luck.  And my 2 5GHz bands will randomly lose the connection.  It's usually the second one that causes me more issues, but it will periodically lose the first 5 GHz band, but I have seen issues with the 2.4GHz band, but that's been very infrequent. I can't believe that their support teams are not helping us.

Message 39 of 288
aveatr
Guide

R7960 router

Same issue as other users.  NETGEAR has released a faulty firmware update and is not addressing the problem.  

They want me to buy additional software?  Not until they respond to this issue!

I used the Netgear Firmware Update Assistant to try and upload the firmware from  Netgear's server,
Current Firmware Version 1.4.1.44
New Firmware Version 1.4.1.50_1.3.10

It went through the motions of downloading and 'updating', rebooting the router, but without a change to the current version (Firmware Version V1.4.1.44_1.3.5)
This was tried 2 times without any change to firmware.

I then used the manual process to update through downloading zip file to a directory.
Going to NetGears site and downloading the R7960P-V1.4.1.50_1.3.10.zip, unzipped it and I used the R7960P-V1.4.1.50_1.3.10.chk file.
Using the manual process within the Routers Updater, I tried to update firmware again, again went through the motions and router rebooted.
This was tried twice without any changes in the firmware.

Went through logs Administration logs (with every option checked previously) and no errors concerning the update were found.
Hence my problem.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 40 of 288
preed1
Guide

I have the same problem. Firmware will not update.

Message 41 of 288
Wws1
Guide

My firmware will not update ; tried several times
Message 42 of 288
Whenever
Initiate

I’ve tried to upgrade three times already. Noticed seems like only GUI language version got .50 but firmware stays put. Also the web page still shows new firmware available.

Hardware Version R7960P
Firmware Version V1.4.1.44_1.3.5
GUI Language Version V1.4.1.50_2.1.46.1
Message 43 of 288
Carrezee
Guide

R7960P firmware not upgrading

Opening the router setup in Chrome: <A router firmware upgrade is available> with Firmware Version V1.4.1.44_1.3.5 displayed on the right.

Click on it the "a router firmware upgrade is available" bubble, it does its thing. Router restarts and still displayes Firmware Version V1.4.1.44_1.3.5 with the upgrade bubble still there.

Go into the Nighthawk App on my phone, connected to the home network, shows upgrade available, click it. App looks like upgrade is being performed. Router restarts, same thing.

Downloaded the upgrade from the internet and saved it locally. 

Unzipped, selected the file, performed the update, NOPE still showing the same firmware version.

So something is broken.

Message 44 of 288
Carrezee
Guide

Thanks. It good when a company stands behind it's products.

@DarrenM wrote:

I have escalated this issue to engineering to investigate.

DarrenM

@DarrenM wrote:

DarrenM

Message 45 of 288
IdahoScott
Apprentice

@Carrezee wrote:

Thanks. It good when a company stands behind it's products.

@DarrenM wrote:

DarrenM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carrezee,
You're being too generous, or perhaps, sarcastic?

Darren forwarded this to "engineering to investigate" almost 3 weeks ago.  This firmware version (V1.4.1.50_1.3.10) was released as early as November 2019, and problems were reported almost immediately, judging from a quick Google search.

1) Netgear knows that there are problems with this firmware release, and has known about it for at least five months.

2) Netgear has been completely NON-RESPONSIVE to EVERY inquiry about the problem.  

3) It was nice of Darren to forward this thread to the engineers, almost 3 weeks ago, but have you seen any other replies?  Do a support search (or Google, which seems to return even more hits than Netgear's own search engine), and you'll find MANY threads about this problem software.

I hope that whatever security bugs this version was supposed to fix, were not serious, because otherwise, hundreds of thousands (maybe milions) of Netgear customers are screwed.  I've been pretty understanding and patient about this up until now, because I had thought that this version was just released in early March.  I've said that Netgear should have rolled back this release already, until they can resolve the problems.   However, now that I'm discovering that it was out as far back as last November, I'm done using or buying Netgear equipment.   We place a whole lot of trust using their network routers.  A compromised network could be financially damaging to just about anyone who connect to a it.   

I'm not just the average consumer blowing smoke, either.  I'm a professional who has been working with advanced networks and other technology since 1985.  I've used Netgear equipment almost exclusively since the 1990's.   I'm nobody from nowhere, but Netgear lost this nobody as a customer.  

Their non-responsiveness to this issue, is absolutely rediculous.   It tells you everything that you need to know about the integrity and quality of this company.

Message 46 of 288
The_Smurph
Star

Pretty much said my sentiments exactly to a "T". I love how its been sent, but nothing has been said, not a simple reply, just its been sent. Thanks for the help...... I think I'll look into returning this thing to Costco. 

Message 47 of 288
Carrezee
Guide

I was surprised to see a legitimate response. Reading through the continuing questions with no offer of solution is disappointing. This is my 3 Netgear router. All prior have been problem free until they died of natural causes.
Currently with the security risks out there, I need my firmware to be solid and secure as I am now working from home with my work issued equipment.
Message 48 of 288
jones2020
Initiate

i'm having the same problem.  i spent some time before having to go on to this forum.  this should be a manufacturing issue, not a community.  but here we are, all of us trying to fix the security issue with a bad firmware from the manufacturer.  i wonder if i should just return it to costco and get something else like a linksys.

Message 49 of 288
Juice_22
Star

I wish I could do that. Because this is very disappointing on Netgear’s part. But I bought my router in early November. So I’m outside the return window. It was working pretty well too before this update.
Message 50 of 288
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7